Ferrari Life Posts: 35
308 lower

How can I lower my 308 about 2 inches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
2 inches maybe too much of a drop. Just 1" improves looks and slightly better handling.

To lower the stock shocks, special spring perches must be machined and fitted...
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2003, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok, maybe 1.5 inches

Who might do this work?
Is there a kit?
maybe some used parts somewhere. I live in North San Diego County

Yeah, Thanks for answering. RC

post #4 of 10 Old 02-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Owner

A machinist can make the perches to your dimensions. You can calculate this yourself by measuring the geometry of the stock suspension and the depth of the stock spring perch, and obtain new measurements with a deeper spring perch...
post #5 of 10 Old 03-02-2003, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

new perchs

Thanks for the information.
I thought we'd use a shorter spring.
Hadnt thought about the perch idea. RC
post #6 of 10 Old 03-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I would assume that custom spring perches are going to cost some coin. But, I would think that it is the better way to go as far as retaining ride and handling as opposed to modifying the springs.
Personally, I can't imagine lowering the 308 any further than it is. I have to back my car out of the driveway because it scrapes the front spoiler if I drive it out. What size tires do you have RC? If you have the stock tires you might find that different wheels and tires will lower the car to your liking.
My tire sizes are: Front - 205/55x16, Rear - 225/50x16. They are Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP's. Stock tires are 205/70x14. Mathematically, my tires are a 1/2" shorter than stock. Not much, but the low profile tires with the bigger rims give the car the appearance of being lower to the ground than it actually is.
The other thing you could do to make your car lower is put on the deep Euro front spoiler like I have on my car. If you haven't seen it, go to the garage section and look at "Pete's '79 308 GTS". I just saw one of those spoilers on EBay last month for like $200.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 10 Old 03-02-2003, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

lower

I want the space between the tire and top of the wheel well to be less. I dont have the euro spoiler. I want the ground height to be about 4". Something like Norwoods salt flat car. (Just saw a picture on his web site)
The tires I'm putting on it are 245 35 18 on 8.5 kinesis 5 spoke on the front and 275 40 18 on 9 kinesis 5 spokes.
Dosnt someone make a short spec spring? Or some race guy have the brackets already made. I know its and old car so I think this stuff has been done before....I just need to find them.
bear with me if I'm too off the beam,just have a vision.
Thanks for your input. RC
Got any Ideas about brake up grade. Brembo, drilled rotors, Big rotors OR is this just over kill.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Owner

Pete, the perches aren't that big and are a very simple design. Its very easy to machine it from billet steel or stainless steel.

The springs used in the 308 have a fairly large ID. Most off-the-shelf competition springs from Eibach et al. are normally sized at 2 and 2 1/2" ID. Of course, stock springs can always be ground down and/or re-tempered to give different heights and rates, but is tedious and complex...
post #9 of 10 Old 03-04-2003, 04:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Big Brakes Issues

Putting larger brakes on your car may not give you the results that you are looking for - ie - better stopping distance. Unless you use your car on the track extensively, larger brakes for street use is not necessarily the way to go. I have Wilwood 13" slotted and vaned rotors mated to 6 piston calipers on all for corners, ONCE they get up to tempature - typically 2-3 of laps - they have phenomenal fade free stopping power. On the street, they are terrible; very heavy and no feel at the limit, lock up, etc.. For me it is not an issue since I rarely drive the car on the street other than FCA events.

Listen to the words of wisdom from the prior posts, bleed the brakes, get ss lines, and more agressive pad compounds. If you experience fading, explore air ducts. If that doesn't work, then look at the bigger brake option but be prepared for the occasional scare when they are cold!

If it is for looks..well disregard my above comments
franck
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2003, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your knowledgeable input.

Your input is just what I am looking for. Thanks again. RC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode