82 308 new guy - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-22-2003, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
82 308 new guy

What can I up grade the front brakes to?

To richn the mixture which way do I turn the screw?

Do these still have points?

What can I do to up grade the ignition. ?

Where can I get a shop manual?

Will synthic oil help the trans shift smoother. What grade?

I've had the car a week, Can you guys help me?
Thank, RC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Slooowwww down there dude, let the experience soak-in a bit before doing the mods... :wink:

To answer your questions:

1- There is an adjustment screw on the fuel-distributor body which is covered by a tamper-proof plug. Yes, they can be tampered and adjusted, but do this ONLY if you have an exhaust-gas-analyzer (minimum two-gas type).

2&3- No, its electronic and made by Magneti Marelli called "Digiplex". The triggering system are a series of TDC sensors mounted on the bellhousing which report engine speed to the computer. Also vacuum imputs, TPS position all contribute to ignition firing and advance. A complete system like the distributorless one made by Electromotive can replace it without too much difficulty.

4- A number of suppliers have mostly reproduction manuals, check the ads in the back of Forza magazine. Sometimes originals appear on Ebay...

5- Synthetic helps, but whichever you choose, make sure it is LSD compatibile. I run natural, mineral tranny oil 80W-90 that has LSD additives already in it (a local, Canadian brand...). Shifts fine, even in the cold...
post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Owner

Ooops! I forgot the brakes question!

Answer: not sure.... :roll:

post #4 of 7 Old 02-25-2003, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

NEW GUY

Yeah, I'm kinda excited. Thanks for the input.
Will it be of any advantage to add a msd ignition modul or is the stock one ok. What two big coils and some mongerlo??? wire.\?

bigger rotor????

Thanks for answering. RC
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2003, 10:22 PM
Owner

I'm quite positive the MSD units will not talk to the coils/computers. You must keep the stock system, or substitute it altogether...

Magnecor wires are a nice upgrade. They make ones in 7mm wire which would suit the original system perfectly. The 8mm and larger will work best with distributorless systems.

Improved braking can be achieved with different pads and maybe cooling-ducting (if it can fit). Grooving the discs can help too, but I'm not sure how much...
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2003, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

ignition and brakes

Thanks for the ignition information. I thought maybe I could use just some hotter coils.............? you say no, is that right?

How about some Brembo brakes? maybe with bigger rotors. Is this nessary. Am I way off base here. Are the stock brakes with drilled rotors and new pads enough? Thanks RC
post #7 of 7 Old 03-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Owner

Bigger brakes are possible, but there's no off-the-shelf kits available. Anything will have to be custom made.

Try high-performance pads and remember to put fresh brake fluid in and see if it improves, or if it needs further power that bigger brakes can provide...

(About the coils, yes, you must keep the stock ones with this system. No aftermarket available.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode