Should I remove the air pump from my 308? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Should I remove the air pump from my 308?

My '82 308GTBi has no belt on this pump anyway, so should I just remove it? And plug all the lines hooked up to it? Thanks, Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I'd say to leave it until you have to remove the engine for major repairs. It does no harm sitting there and the hoses and check valves plug all the exhaust leaks. To properly remove it would involve removing a lot of other parts needlessly just for access. I remember when I changed the ignition on my car I found a bad check valve for the air pump on mine (So that's the exhaust leak I was hearing! Thank God it wasn't a manifold.) so I changed it but I remember thinking that I might not have been able to change this valve with the distributor in place. You don't want to remove and reinstall the distributor and retime your engine just to get rid of a component that doesn't hurt anything by sitting there?

The air pump was installed just for US emissions and it is a General Motors unit. The check valve for my Jeep fit the Ferrari.

So my advice is not to work on the engine strictly to remove the air pump. This is an older car and the parts might be rusted and frozen and you might run into some big troubles you didn't count on. Once you start removing this thing you are committed to finishing the job completely.

So next time you are doing something that involves removing a lot of engine components then you can say, "Hey, now would be a good time to remove that air pump." Until then just leave it be. That's my opinion.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Thanks for that great advice, but I think this might be a good time. I plan to remove the expansion tank, strip it, repaint, sand and repaint the upper frame on that side and replace the stickers. I had the bolts almost all the way out on that pump when I first got the car. I couldn't remove that long bottom bolt without removing the expansion tank. I'm not too sure what else is in it's way, but I wouldn't want to touch the distributor, you are right about that! That bolt that I cound't get out was under the tank, though, not near the distributor, mine is an injected model, 1982. I'm just doing this to imporove the looks. Maybe the oil cooler is in the way?? BUT if I can get that pump off easily, is it a good idea?? Dennis

post #4 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
GM air pump

Hi Dennis,

Pete is probably right, but I say pull it. I love getting rid of stuff that isn't necessary. Looks better, and makes the engine easier to work on. In fact, I did a lot of that on my 308GT4 and 328. Keep all the parts in a box in case the next owner needs it. -Steve
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I don't think the oil cooler is in the way. Steve had his engine out and stripped down so for him it was a simple matter of not reinstalling it. If you in there anyway and can get it out easily after the expansion tank is removed and just cut the hose back as far as you can and just plug the hose with a bolt or something and hose clamp then I'd say go for it. The only reason you need to plug the hose is in case the check valves leak by.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 6 Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
Well, actually, Capt. Pete, the 328 doesn't use an air pump. However, I did remove both air pumps on my 308GT4 without removing the engine . -Steve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode