Which oil should I use in a 328? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 07-07-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Which oil should I use in a 328?

When I bought the 328 I was given a litre of Agip 10-40 semi synthetic oil for topping it up. When that ran out I bought a litre of Shell Super Helix 10-40 semi synthetic.
I've noticed that there are all different grades of oil and viscosity:
0-30
5-40
10-40
synthetic
semi synthetic
Castrol, Mobil, Shell, Agip ...etc

What's the best oil for a 328, and is there any difference in quality between the big oil co's and the generic own brand oil that the autoparts stores sell?

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
AGIP SINT 10W-40 is factory specified, so keep with the 10W-40 semi synthetic. I always think cheap oil is exactly that, so I stick with names I know .... as per your list.
post #3 of 34 Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Shell or Castrol 10w-40 Semi Synthetic should be fine.

post #4 of 34 Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for that, as I use Castrol Magnetec 10w-40 in the Audi, it makes it nice and simple, I can use the same oil for both.

What would happen if you mixed semi synthetic with synthetic, or 5w-40 with 10w-40?

Archie
post #5 of 34 Old 07-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Thanks for that, as I use Castrol Magnetec 10w-40 in the Audi, it makes it nice and simple, I can use the same oil for both.

What would happen if you mixed semi synthetic with synthetic, or 5w-40 with 10w-40?
Mixing a little shouldn't really make any difference if you are desperate for a top up. The other thing you should look at is the API spec. The current spec is API SM or SL. Its a good way of distinguishing between oils that are the same viscosity e.g. 10w40 Semi Synthetic.

A couple of links on oil faqs

http://www.gulfoilltd.com/faq_s/index.html
http://new.api.org/certifications/en...lGuide2006.pdf
post #6 of 34 Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

T1f, thanks for the links. Some very useful info I didn't know on the Gulf Oil FAQ's.

I think I'll stick with the 10w-40 semi synthetic, it's what both of my cars manuals specify and as a bonus it's about half the price of the 5w-40 fully synthetic oils approx 25 a gallon compared to 45 a gallon for Shell/Castrol or equivalents.

Shame someone has just given me a gallon of fully synthetic 5w-40

Archie
post #7 of 34 Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I don't know if it is available in the UK but I run Amsoil full synthetic in my Rossa and Maserati
post #8 of 34 Old 07-12-2007, 12:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
My mechanic has suggested 15-50 synthetic (mobile1) i dont exactly know why?

anyone know why this would be better?
post #9 of 34 Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
How about for a TR. Same ideas? I was inclined to run 15W40 or 15W50, only because that's what I've run in Porsches, but wasn't sure if that would be a good idea...

Thanks.
post #10 of 34 Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Canuck I am running the recommended viscosity (from the testarossa US manual) in Amsoil full sythetic race oil as finding AGIP Sint 2000 is a real pain here in the states.
post #11 of 34 Old 07-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

For what it is worth, these days I run Shell Helix Full Synthetic 5w 40 in the modern Ferraris and 10w 40 Semi Synthetic in the older one.
post #12 of 34 Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Okay, simple question, that I really should know the answer to, because our engines run so hot, isn't a higher number, 50 better? What's the purpose of a 5w over 10w, and a 50w over a 40w? Thanks, I know I sound stupid, but..........I guess.........I am!! I am running 5W50 in my 308GTBi heehee Dennis
post #13 of 34 Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I think that Boxers recommendation is spot on. The type of oil that you use depends very much on the age of the car, the type of driving that you do and how often you use the car.

Modern cars run at very high temperatures, that is why they are well suited to the synthetic oils. Slightly older cars are probably better suited to semi-synthetic oils.

The interesting thing is that when you look at the spec for the 328 for example (AGIP SINT 10W-40) it is a semi-synthetic. At the time of vehicle manufacture it was probably THE premium oil type available. Today you would use it in the average family car as the norm (and even then not in some of the newer family cars which demand fully synthetic/longlife/Engine specific oils e.g VAG PD engines). So the scale has shifted.

However although it might not be THE best oil that you can buy today, it is probably still the best oil for the car as it is the manufacturers recommended lubricant. So I would advise sticking with recommended viscosity where possible. (Some manufacturers vary the viscosity range according to climate. Not sure about Ferrari - anyone??).

However when it comes to brands. I don't think that you can go wrong if you choose any of the premium brands of engine oil. I don't think that there is much to choose between them at that level. By premium I mean Mobil 1, Shell Helix, Castrol Magnatec etc. I haven't come across 'Amsoil' in the UK - if 'the head' reckons its the mutts nutts than it probably is.

So if in doubt - manufacturers recommended viscosity, premium brand.
post #14 of 34 Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino246gt View Post
Okay, simple question, that I really should know the answer to, because our engines run so hot, isn't a higher number, 50 better? What's the purpose of a 5w over 10w, and a 50w over a 40w? Thanks, I know I sound stupid, but..........I guess.........I am!! I am running 5W50 in my 308GTBi heehee Dennis
Hi Dennis,

I don't think it is a stupid question, it is quite interesting (I think so anyway so maybe I am the dummy!! ).

I went to the Shell website today ( http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageS..._3May2007.html ) and they have a listing according to make and for the 308/328 they list HELIX ULTRA 5W-40, underneath it says for hot countries 15W-50. It doesn't say anything for cold countries.

The GulfOil site gives the same viscosities ( http://www.ew2.lubesinfo.com/framese...=1133&langid=1 ).

The Castrol Selector (which looked remarkably similar to the Gulf oil selector!) reckons 10w60 (15w50 - hot countries). ( http://www.ew2.lubesinfo.com/framese...=1156&langid=1 )

The BP selector (which is the same as Castrol!) reckons 0W-40 (15w50 - hot countries). ( http://www.ew2.lubesinfo.com/framese...=1204&langid=1 )

The Mobil selector asks how cold it is where you are, but I couldn't get it to work. ( http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo....aspx?option=2 )

Then I ran out of time...

btw there are listings for the Testarossa and other models as well, but couldn't see anything for colder climes like Canada.

post #15 of 34 Old 07-13-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

T1f,
Thanks for that, I'm really confused now
last week I was all set to use 10w-40 Semi synthetic after reading everyone's replies.
I was given a gallon of 5w-40 a few weeks ago which I was about to give away, and Shell say it's Ok to use it.

Any chance I can use Olive oil, extra virgin of course

Archie
post #16 of 34 Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

The only extra virgin olive oyl I know is Popeye's girlfriend!

Quote:
T1f,
last week I was all set to use 10w-40 Semi synthetic after reading everyone's replies.
I was given a gallon of 5w-40 a few weeks ago which I was about to give away, and Shell say it's Ok to use it.

I know mate, what a pain in the @$$.

For mixing I don't think the issue is with the 5w over the 10w but moreso the synthetic v semi-synthetic. Different brands have different chemical formulae for the synthetic aspect.

To confuse you even more I would try & be consistant. So...if you have 10w40 in the F-engine use 10w40 to top up as decided earlier. But when you get an oil change make sure it is a brand that you can readily buy off the shelf (unlike AGIP - which is a really good oil, but not widely available in the UK).

If you want to find a home for that gallon of 5w40 Helix you could...

a) Flog it to Boxer for a packet of fags (that is cigarettes for those of you who speak American )
b) Fork out for another gallon of the Helix + an oil filter and do an oil change. But then be prepared to get another litre to do your top-up as & when. AND stick to the plan for the life.
c) Use the Helix in one of your other motors when you get an oil change and then forget about it.
d) Give it away as a present to someone else along with the dilemma

My choice a, c or d. Given the climate in the UK, I reckon you are fine with the 10w40 SemiSynth both performance & price wise (if in doubt look up Shell's profits!). If the global warming means we start to freeze our knackers in Summer and sweat in Winter then go with the 5w40/5w50 ala Dennis.

Last edited by t1fosI; 07-13-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Confucius say...!
post #17 of 34 Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
My choice a, c or d. Given the climate in the UK, I reckon you are fine with the 10w40 SemiSynth both performance & price wise (if in doubt look up Shell's profits!). If the global warming means we start to freeze our knackers in Summer and sweat in Winter then go with the 5w40/5w50 ala Dennis.

You're right T1f, I'll stick with what's recommended, TBH at 25 a gallon, I'm not complaining, I've used less than half a gallon for top ups in the last 18 months. Although the last oil change service did cost me 600.

I can find a home for the 5w-40, my brother will put it in his BMW.

As for global warming, I considering buying a rowing boat or an inflateable for transportation from May to September
The scientists have been promising that the UK will have 30 - 40 degree summers, we were all thinking it was celcius not farenheit

Archie
post #18 of 34 Old 07-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
T1f,

There is no reason why you can not run 5W 40 Full Synthetic in your 328. Just make the switch at your next oil change. Just don't mix full synthetic with semi synthetic.
post #19 of 34 Old 07-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
If you want to find a home for that gallon of 5w40 Helix you could...

a) Flog it to Boxer for a packet of fags (that is cigarettes for those of you who speak American ).
Several years ago I was at a business meeting with several of Her Majesty's subjects in NY. When we broke for lunch, one of the Brits announced that he running out for a fag. The other American speakers had no idea what he really ment. One yelled after him, "whatever, just be quick about it, we are starting again at 2pm" and another turned to me and said, "well, I never would have known". Needless to say, I did not clarify the situation until dinner that night.
post #20 of 34 Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I was in a Copenhagen bar a few years ago on my stag night, a man in a pink shirt came up to me and asked if he could bum a fag (I don't think he wanted a cigarette) Needless to say, I made a very quick escape from that bar.

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode