Oil Temp ('80 308 GTSi) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-01-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 62
Oil Temp ('80 308 GTSi)

Just completed my first track day with the 308 - car well out performed driver in most regards - But was concerned with the oil temp. The water temp registered fine, but the oil temp indicated close to max temp after only six laps (2.5ml/lap, ambient- 90 to 95 degrees F). My question is is my temp sender/gauge goofy or do 308's run hot when pushed hard, at least concerning the oil? Any input is appreicated.

Tifosi
1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi
2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG
2004 Triumph Bonneville - Cafe Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
I'm no expert, but mine runs very hot too, I'm using 5W50 synthetic oil, I hope that helps! Dennis
post #3 of 14 Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
As i track the 85 308 a lot, have learned that yes the oil can run hot (over 120C versus the normal 90C). Thicker oil seems to make things worse and there are solutions.

A few humble suggestions if you plan to track a lot:
Change the oil after about 4 track days and send a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

Check your rear stub axles (x-ray them perhaps) as the 308 is KNOWN to have problems when very grippy r-compound rubber. During hard use the stub breaks and your tire may pass you on the track(!). While not a high ocurance, the breaking stub is a known issue here and there... from time to time. If you use standard basic street rubber there is little to worry about as the rubber lacks any real capability for ultra-high grip as compared to a true R-compound rubber (35 or thereabouts wear rating).

i could go on, but those are a few of the basics. If you plan to really track a lot i do offer my consulting services.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Owner

Thanks for the advice, no tracking for me, it's just a toy and to me, a beautiful thing, also somewhat of an investment, I mean, little to no depreciation. I love the finer things is life, but I am nowhere near wealthy, so I have 2 new Hondas, totally reliable and really the perfect appliance for stress free day to day mobility!! Still, I love Ferraris, and cannot afford a reliable daily driven Ferrari, so the old 308 fits my needs like a dream! I don't abuse it, but it's so much fun at just barely illegal speeds that it really is right for me!! True performance addicts would be dissapointed with it, but I find it to be the perfect mix of looks, sounds, smells and performance, even if that performance is more of an illusion, it still thrills me, way more so than either my Odyssey or Element, of course! Plus, I am having so much fun taking it apart and detailing and improving it, no pressure to get it back together, as it's my toy! Well, I guess this went way off topic, but the point is that I love it but don't really expect it to be anywhere near a race car! A true performance Ferrari would probably be wasted on me!!! Ciao, Dennis
post #5 of 14 Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I'm only planning on tracking the car a few times a year, it's still mostly my "have fun on the weekends" car. But the high oil temp does concern me, I'm running Mobil 1, 15W-50 oil, and the gauge typically reads in the center around 210, if I remember correctly, after a few laps of high revs, and relatively hard running the gauge was past the 3/4 tick mark and nearing the max, which if I recall is 280 or 270...??? I drove at a reduced rate for a few laps and then entered the pits to let it cool down. The water temp increased but not dramatically. I am using Wetter Water in the coolant, perhaps is helping the water temp. Is this normal for 308's, or is my car running hot, or are nearly 30 year oil Italian gauges and electrics doing me in? Any help is appreciated. - Nick

Tifosi
1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi
post #6 of 14 Old 07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Owner

I've gotta admit, mine runs that hot too!! Let's just blame it on those old gauges, ha ha! I wonder if there is anything we can do with the oil cooler to actually, cool the oil? Ciao, Dennis
post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I'm hoping it's just the gauges as well, has anyone ever tried putting a small electric fan on the oil cooler? Just a thought...?? Thanks as always -

Tifosi
1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi
post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
I'm hoping it's just the gauges as well, has anyone ever tried putting a small electric fan on the oil cooler? Just a thought...?? Thanks as always -
My oil temperature gauge has never gotten much off the peg and I've ignored it as there are always more important things. Is the temperature sensor in the engine or at the oil cooler?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
I believe the engine oil temp sensor is in the oil pan near the shifter shaft. -Steve
post #10 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
There are a few guys who have mounted engine oil coolers...I am going to talk to the guys at Competizione when I have my major done this fall. It just seems to me that the biggest enemy of our engines is high temps and anything we can do to cool them down would be beneficial.

I use Mobil-1 15-50 Syn. but I think Richard put in Agip when I was there last, but will have to check my records.

MB
post #11 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
I've seen a few people add fans to tyhe oil cooler and claim it helps.

From my own experience I know that controlling the water temp well goes a long way to controling the oil temp.

Another thing I can say works is to switch to an oil/water heat exchanger and send the heat to your the bigger better radiator you installed to control the water temp.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 382
+1 to what Mark said. Get the water temp harnessed really well and the oil temps will surely follow.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari328GT View Post
I believe the engine oil temp sensor is in the oil pan near the shifter shaft. -Steve
On a QV the the pres and temp sensors are on the oil filter housing....I'm not sure what the sensor at the pan is????
post #14 of 14 Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
On the early carb 308GTB/GTS the oil temp sensor is indeed, on the front side of the oil pan. I replaced mine as the temp started reading way too high, while just driving around town. Back in 2000, the Veglia sender was all of about $14 or $15 from TRutlands...

After the swap, it read normally there after. On these old cars, if the readings don't seem trust worthy, I would figure out a way to confirm the readings. In my case, the sender was so cheap, I figured I would start with simply replacing it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode