Major Service for my 348tb SS Challenge - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Major Service for my 348tb SS Challenge

Hello All,

Well, it's time for the 30K Mile service on my '93, and I'm trying to do a little homework before I bust out the credit card.

1) Can anyone give me even a ballpark estimate of what the 'normal' 30K service should cost? I've been given one estimate of approx. $7600, from a local (non-dealership) facility that specializes in Euro cars.

2) The mechanic who provided me with that estimate informed me that I might need an updated throwout bearing, at a cost of approx. $1600 for the part (on top of the aforementioned service). I haven't seen anything on the forum about this - Is this a common problem?

I live in the Tampa Bay area in sunny FL, and would welcome any advice on a good shop within 150 miles or so.

Thanks,

J.

348tb SS Challenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Generally the 30k server can run $6 - $12k depending on the model. For the 348 $7k sounds about right. Does that shop have experience with Ferraris or just other European cars? I would recommend finding a Ferrari mechanic if they don't have experience.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131

post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
The price for the major is about right. A T/O bearing alone can be between $350 to $1700 depending if it comes with seals and for a single plate or dual. But your model year should come with the updated one and should be less than $500. Personally, I would get it changed once in there. I would be very surprised if the previous owner didn’t do the update on it, and yes the price is about right. As far as additional cost, it shouldn’t be more because they have to remove it and re-install it anyways.

It’s not a common problem, but they do wear out and once in there get it done. It will be brutally expensive to just change that later. Because everything has to come out, muffler and then the rear end and flywheel just for that bearing, that’s stupid.

~
Attached Images

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 06-20-2007 at 11:29 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I was under the impression that the clutch and throwout issue on the 348's was limited to 1991 vintage and earlier. Specifically the twin plate models. The single plate version found in SS cars was virtually bullet proof. If I'm correct then I reiterate the need for a Ferrari trained expert to do the work. These things are expensive enough without repalcing stuff that aint broke. If I'm not correct then I've got myself a problem....My 348 SS (#64) has not yet arrived (being shipped from Texas) but I'm sure the clutch has not been touched based on the records in my hand. I'm doing belts this winter, I'll check the clutch then.

Common issues to be aware of include the need for tensioner bearings $1200, Water pump $1700, and other outragious costs. Recommend providing some parts yourself such as Spark Plugs, Oil, etc... Ferrari OEM plugs can be $40 each (yep $240 for the set) and I prefer Castrol syntec to Aguip stuff. Also consider Royal purple tranny oil. It supposedly helps with the Ferrari 2nd gear thing.

SB
post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the good info. The shop who quoted me $7.6K does a lot of work on Porsches & Mercedes. I've had my car for about a year & a half, and had a guy who was working on it locally. Unfortunately he moved back to the Northeast, so here I am. The closest dealership is in Orlando - Should I take it over there?

348tb SS Challenge
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Might be worth at least giving the dealer in Orlando a call.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-04-2007, 04:31 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_man_flying View Post
Thanks all for the good info. The shop who quoted me $7.6K does a lot of work on Porsches & Mercedes. I've had my car for about a year & a half, and had a guy who was working on it locally. Unfortunately he moved back to the Northeast, so here I am. The closest dealership is in Orlando - Should I take it over there?
Hi, did you ever get the service done locally or Orlando? I had pm'd you on this.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Hello Maranello,

Nope - Had to take a trip & just got back! Hoping to at least talk to the guys in Orlando tomorrow.

348tb SS Challenge
post #10 of 12 Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
where did your mechanic move back to? I'm looking for one in Southeast CT. Is he near me?
post #11 of 12 Old 07-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_man_flying View Post
Hello Maranello,

Nope - Had to take a trip & just got back! Hoping to at least talk to the guys in Orlando tomorrow.
Ok, just call me if you need another option before you make a decision on the service.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
ciao jay . i'll be in Ga. next week but back in Clearwater on 7/28 . finishing up work in NY . [taking some time off as well ] forza frank 727-735-7092

Last edited by fmaderi; 07-14-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: tele

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode