355f1 spider troubles - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
355f1 spider troubles

Hi, I just found this site....cool.
I bought my first Ferrari last month - a 98 355F1 Spider. Very exciting event but alas the list of problems with are growing daily.
The roof wont lower...goes through a sequence of seats moving forward and impailing me up against the steering wheel and then clicking noises behind me, like a relay sound.
Bringing the car home to Ireland from France, could hear a knock from the rear suspension driving over bumps......lots of them on the roads here! The drop links from the anti roll bar seem to be knackered.....common prob?
At motorway speeds the car seems to sway sideways going over undulations....shocks? Its a lot better in 'sport mode'.
The 'slow down' light comes on intermittently, but tends to go off when braking or going over bumps.....loose connection? What does the light rep anyway.....How can you slow down at 5 mph!
Can anybody tell me how you can tell if the exhaust crossover valve is working...I have no other car to compare mine to.
Good news is I have a years guarranty with the car. Bad news, I have to drive 1000 miles to the garage!
Hope someone can help,
Cheers,
MacDara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
None of these are uncommon problems but could be costly to fix. If you bought the car at an official Ferrari dealer in France, I would suggest calling them and seeing if you can reach a deal to have the work done by an official dealer in Ireland at their cost.

The problem with the roof can either be a simple matter of it getting out of sequence, which is an easy fix, or a more serious problem with the whole mechanism.

Suggest you do a search on "Slow Down Light", plenty of past posts on this issue.

Definitely need to get the suspension/shocks looked at, could be a couple of differnt items needing replacement.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply. Thrashed the car today.....no dodgy lights!

post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDara View Post
Hi, I just found this site....cool.
At motorway speeds the car seems to sway sideways going over undulations....shocks? Its a lot better in 'sport mode'.

Good news is I have a years guarranty with the car. Bad news, I have to drive 1000 miles to the garage!
Hope someone can help,
Cheers,
MacDara
Swaying problem, that doesn't sound too good. Was this car in a crash. Could be a chassis alignment problem. If it were shocks the car would be bouncing up and down. Maybe that is what you meant instead of swaying over undulations or bumps.

I'm interested in following this thread coz I plan on getting a 97-99 f355 spider sometime soon.

God Luck with the repairs. BTW what did you mean by THRASHED, did you crash the car already. I hope not, such a waste for an beutiful engine.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 PM
CDF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 63
Quote:
The roof wont lower...goes through a sequence of seats moving forward and impailing me up against the steering wheel and then clicking noises behind me, like a relay sound.
It's a normal part of lowering the top, suggest looking at the steps in the owner's manual. But it's like tying a bow tie, frustrating at first but easy when you get the trick.

The trick with mine is to unlatch the roof using the lever above the windshield, then push the top along with the thin crossbar above your head up a little bit, gently, before using the switch to lower the top. When you get the beeping sound things are fine, just let off the switch for a couple seconds and resume. It takes several stops and starts to complete the lowering.

Quote:
I feel that a little in mine too. Seems the spiders are better suited for cruising around and showing off than hardcore track duty.

Quote:
Can anybody tell me how you can tell if the exhaust crossover valve is working...I have no other car to compare mine to.
Stomp on the gas and take it up to the redline. Around 4000 or 5000 rpm the bypass valve should open and you'll feel an extra kick of power and hear a higher-pitched and louder (but smoother) exhaust note.

Don't be surprised if your bypass valve isn't working. Mine wasn't when I bought the car, and I simply wired it open to enjoy the F1 sound full-time. It can be very loud idling and launching at stoplights however.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi there,

Cheers for the response. Thrashed is just slang for some Irish for having fun and pushing to the limit.....or mine anyway! Don't see any sign of crash repair but all initial impressions are a bit subjective. Other car is a Toyata MR2 and in some ways is more fun to drive!

Mac
post #7 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi CDF,
Thought I had the roof mastered.....I think the seat trying to drive itself off the rail might be a clue.
The reason I suspect the crossover valve is that I don't hear any huge difference in sound over 5K.....still sounds great to the redline, though
post #8 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 PM
CDF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 63
OK, good luck. Ireland = fantastic place to drive a Ferrari I would imagine.

Recommend you wire open the exhaust bypass valve. Then drive the car and it should be clear above 5000 rpm if the vacuum system for the bypass valve was working or not. Wiring mine open totally transformed the car.

If you make it over to the other site FerrariChat you can search for info on wiring that thing open.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Ta. I'll try that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode