Oil change in a 355 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 51
Oil change in a 355

Hey everyone! I just had a couple questions for 355 owners out there: Do most of you change the oil yourself, or get it done by the shop? Also, how much oil does it take and what type? If you get it done at the shop, about how much do they charge you? If you do it yourself, how difficult is it (compared to a regular car with a wet-sump system)? Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
Oil Change

I did an oil change on a 1996 F355 a while back. As I recall, you have to remove a couple of the belly pans to get at the drain plug on the oil reservoir. If it were my car, I'd have drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the belly pan to make it a lot easier next time. I think you also remove one plug in the engine sump, and that's it. No big deal. I'm pretty sure the owner gave me Mobil 1 oil to put back in.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari328GT View Post
I did an oil change on a 1996 F355 a while back. As I recall, you have to remove a couple of the belly pans to get at the drain plug on the oil reservoir. If it were my car, I'd have drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the belly pan to make it a lot easier next time. I think you also remove one plug in the engine sump, and that's it. No big deal. I'm pretty sure the owner gave me Mobil 1 oil to put back in.
Wouldn't drilling a hole disrupt the airflow under the car? Not sure I would recommend that. Thoughts?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Owner

It's not like the underside is all that smooth anyway. There are lots of places for air to go, for example, around the entire engine. Another small hole in a belly pan would make no difference. And I suppose you could put a thin rubber plug in the hole if you really felt the need . -Steve
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Isn't the idea behind the solid under body to improve airflow under the car? I do see your point though and like the rubber plug idea.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Owner

Problem is, it's not even close to a solid underbody. That's my point. -Steve
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
There is not a chance I'd be drilling new 'oil' drip holes in the bottom of my Ferrari's engine!!! I've done the oil before during intermediate oil changes between putting the car in for its main dealer services, I actually found it quite theraputic... although I wouldnt feel that way if I did it often!! LoL

On the 360 (different to the 355 but essentially the same basic engine) I changed the oil myself @ intermediate steps and it wasnt rocket science, yes there are 2 sump hex nuts, both different sizes just to be awkward (thank Ferrari!). From the onwers manual (and as fitted by Ferrari) the Engine takes just under 10 litres of Shell Helix Ultra (yes the expensive stuff!), read the owners manual. A PDF is available for free download on the official Ferrari owners website if you care to register...

The biggest pain in the job is removing the underbody tray to get at the nuts and I alslo removed the top aluminium engine cross brace so I could get access to the oil filter, I used an oil filter chain to remove it. Dont forget there is also a small pull out mesh filter (with 2 10mm hex nuts on) which can also be removed and preferably cleaned. Its referred to in the workshop manuals (suggesting compressed air to clean it!) but I wonder how many mechanics actually bother?

Overall its not hard but the first time you try it, it will take a few hours for someone without previous experience (at least on the 360, much will be the same across 355/360). I remember it took me about 4 hours my first time but I didnt want to screw it up so I took my time.

Also word of warning DO NOT OVERFILL, it can cause the engine to smoke. The way I did my measuing was to put the used oil into a measuring jug hence knowing how much I'd removed allowed me to approximate how much to refill (its not easy to get an accurate reading on a dry sump engine, you must let the engine warm up and measure it straight after turning the engine off or while running - again see owners manual for exact approach).

Good luck!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode