348 Spyder - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
348 Spyder

I need some help. I am looking at my first Ferrari, and I have been looking at a 1994 348 Spyder with some "issues". My first concern is that nobody on this forum seems to recommend the 348. The second issue is the car has about 74,000 documented miles, but the odomoter shows 12,000. the car has been totally repainted, but I can find no indications of damage (I used to be in the body shop business so I know that piece) the car was disassembled for the repaint. The car is in great shape, but I am worried about the unknown mileage, and what the repaint issue will mean? The car is Rosso Corso red and Tan interior, tubi exhaust, 3 piece speedline wheels and all manuals etc. Any thoughts on this car or the 348 in particular would be appreciated, as well as any thoughts on the value of such a car.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
As far as the mileage goes the 348 is a very good car, being a 94 it has all the upgraded changes from the factory to remove most bugs. It’s not perfect but I am a huge fan of it but I don’t like Spyders period. I love the 348 TB and will be mine next year. I have done my homework on them and they are great cars.

Now the mileage thing, well at least it should not be worth more that $60-65K because one with less then 20k mile on it go for 80K or so…

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Sounds like a great car to me. It has some issues but nothing you can't deal with. It is after all a 13 year old-car. I love the 348 Spider. I think Magnum has it right on the price.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
Any suggestions on the best way to go about finding a good car? It seems difficult to find good ferraris.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
Any suggestions on the best way to go about finding a good car? It seems difficult to find good Ferraris.

Finding a Ferrari is easy, unless the interior looks terrible or the body looks like it’s not been taken care of, it’s hard to judge a good one from a bad one. Because people always look at the paint, tires, engine and leather to see how they shine, they automatically think the rest of the car is in good shape. This is so untrue and if you don’t know what to look for you can get a headache worth more than the price of the car itself.

First step, I recommend subscribing to the forum and reading the buyers guides because this can save you tons of cash on what to look for and what to stay clear of.

Second, read the info on the car before and after the model you want. Why? Because sometimes there are references in them saying “this was corrected in this model” or “this was an improvement from that model”.

Third, don’t buy the first car you see because the emotions will be high, you could get blinded by things you normally would see. You can also compare by saying “hey the previous car had this in the documentation but this one doesn’t” stuff like that.

Fourth, GET A PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) there is no valid reason for not doing so. If you don’t do it, you’re an idiot period. Would you pick a women from a crowd with your eyes closed and marry her 10 minutes later then open your eyes….NO….

Ferraris are hard to sell, so if your stuck with one that needs considerable work that you didn’t get checked and now your deciding to get rid of it because of too many problems, I guarantee you everyone will have it checked and you will not sell it or will sell it at a severe loss…and when I mean severe I don’t mean losing 2-3K from what you paid, I’m talking 10-25K loss if not more.

Fifth, do your homework, read as much as you can from it. Don’t rely on one person who owns the model you want. Sometimes people lie about their car saying it’s a great car, but in reality the car is draining them financially and they don’t have the balls to say “I made a mistake in buying this car, and you should be careful about this model”. In forums people will tell you their problems, but when you meet people face to face they don’t. Everything is always fine, good, and excellent. Next thing you know the car is for sale and their excuse is I’m buying a newer model.

Now in some cases people do buy newer models but depending on how long they have had it, it can tell you if it’s a problem car. If the person bought it a year ago or less and is now selling it for a newer used model, then it’s probably a problem car because they could have bought that newer model first.

Anyways, I’m looking for a 348TS and it’s been 2 years that I have been reading about it, searching for info, looking at models, reading forums about it etc…so when I actually go and buy one (looking at that for next year) I will definitely know what to look for and make my first purchase a great experience instead of a horror story….

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

Last edited by Magnum6464; 05-16-2007 at 07:43 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Magnum,
That is just about the best car buying advice I've ever seen.

It is very hard to find the "right" Ferrari because there just isn't as many of them out there. Take the 308 GTS, less than 50,000 were made over a 9 year period. Chevy made 50,000 Corvettes in 1979 alone.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Magnum,
That is just about the best car buying advice I've ever seen.

Thanks Pete!

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #8 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 46
Quote:
Third, don’t buy the first car you see because the emotions will be high, you could get blinded by things you normally would see. You can also compare by saying “hey the previous car had this in the documentation but this one doesn’t” stuff like that.
This is not the first time I've heard someone say that. What's wrong with buying the first one if.

You've never drove one, you drive it and love it.
It's the color combo you want.
It's got all the paper work to back it up.
It's got the milage your looking for.
You get a PPI and it's fine?

I'm only wondering, because it's not that easy to find an older car where your
from (at least here) to just go and test drive it. Even if you do find one where you live but it's not quite what your looking for why go and look at it if you know you'll never buy it?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-Guy View Post
This is not the first time I've heard someone say that. What's wrong with buying the first one if.

I said “don’t buy the first car you see”…not “forget about ever buying the first car you see”. There is a big difference, look at a few, evaluate all the ones you have seen, then if the first one you saw was the best one, then go buy it. But don’t stop at the first one and say let’s do the paperwork.

I looked at different ones with the wrong color combo (black on black, yellow and black, red on black) I only want red and tan, but I looked at them to get an idea of wear, documentation, compared year with mileage and price to see if it was overpriced or unusually under price etc…like I said, do you homework. If you haven’t looked at a minimum of 3 cars, you can’t judge properly what the cars are really worth. I looked at 4 of them, and only 2 of them were worth the price, the other two were sadly over price by 20K. One of them had the power window buttons hanging from the door because the piece holding it to the door was broken, the guy told me they were just removing it to change the unit, but there was so much dust on it that it had been that way for at least a year. So to me, that piece alone told me the whole car was not taken care of properly and to stay away. If they couldn’t even fix that, what did the engine look like…Another one was a speciale but the front bumper was the wrong one, it did not have the front lip, the guy said it was curb damage and was just replaced with the regular front bumper but, it had carbon seats, so who says what else was weird with this car or if it was even a speciale.

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #10 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Owner

You make a great point magnum, and I agree.

It might be a little easier through out country to look at a few cars. But here in Vegas, if it's not in town there's nothing in any direction but dirt for almost 5 hours. I've been looking for a 97'-99' F355 coupe or GTS for 6 mo. there are none in town. There are 2 95' 355 spiders. But I just can't bring my self to go see them knowing I'll never buy them. Not to mention waisting the time of the salesman.

Last edited by Vegas-Guy; 05-16-2007 at 10:50 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
To Vegas-Guy: If I can be of any assistance here in Phoenix with an F355, let me know. I have worked on a 355 spider, and have owned and restored four different Ferraris. I could take a quick look for you and see if it's even worth a $100 plane ride for you. -Steve

Last edited by Ferrari328GT; 05-16-2007 at 11:03 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Owner

Thanks Steve. Do you know of any 355s 97'-99'? in Phoenix? Not a spider! I'm sure you know all about the heat and dry weather.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Great advice. The only thing I would add, if possible drive both the model before and the model after (328 and F355). This will give you a development benchmark and allows you to see which model best suits your driving style and stirs the soul.

I would also suggest picking up a copy of the latest issue of Forza. The cover story is a road test/comparision between the 348 and F355.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode