308 Battery buying tips - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
308 Battery buying tips

Had to buy a new battery for the 308. Went to the town office to register the car and then the town manager had to give me a jump start to get the Ferrari running again. How embarrasing. Well the battery is the one that was in the car when I bought it 5 years ago so it was due. So I called my tire guy, Marty at tire warehouse, and gave him all the numbers off the battery. He said, "Oh, you need a group 47. I don't have one but I can get it tomorrow." I said, "What can you do for me today?" He said, "Call my friend Shannon at the Battery Outlet and tell him you need a Group 47. He'll have one."

So I called Shannon and he had one and only then did he ask what it was for. So I had to boost the car again to get it running and went down and got my new battery. $75 and Shannon installed it for me and disposed of the old one. It is a Deka battery with 600 cold cranking amps and a 60 month pro-rated warranty.

To tell you the truth I think the fault is from my old house with the unheated garage and the clock ran the battery down and over the winter it froze and ruined the plates. My new house has a heated garage and I will install a battery maintainer in the car before winter.

So anyway, my tip is if you need a new battery just tell any auto parts store you need a "Group 47" and they can get it for you. The other thing I found out is that there is only 3 companies that make car batteries so it really doesn't matter what brand you get. The cheap one is made by the same people as the expensive one.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Good idea, Captain, not telling people something is going into a Ferrari, unless you can verify price ahead of time.

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #3 of 4 Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Yeah, well it is not like you have to worry about your batteries freezing!

But I thought some owners would like the tip about getting a new battery cheap. Also you are right about not telling people you have a Ferrari when you need parts. Do some research!!!! The check valve for the air injection system for a Ferrari 308 is $145. The identical part is from an '82 Jeep CJ7 (look at my signature) and costs $15. Or if you go to a junk yard they will let you take one off an old Jeep for free.

Capt. Pete

post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Update - I was at my dentist today and he said he'd been having a hard time trying to find a battery for his 328. He'd been all over and none of the parts places had a listing. He was happy when he saw I was on his appoinment schedule. He thought, "Pete will know." Funny I had just bought a new battery so I gave him the info and he's getting his new battery tomorrow.

At the Battery Outlet, Shannon had told me that my car was the first Ferrari he'd ever worked on. Now he'll have worked on 2 of them in a week.

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode