1987 328 GTS Need some help - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
1987 328 GTS Need some help

Guys...I found a car but I am wondering if anyone is near Lubbock that could go by and take a look at it for me or does anyone know of a person in the area that could do a pre inspection for me?

The car looks straight, 41k miles and due for major service,the dealer says that the carfax is clean and the records are up to date with the last service being performed at 35k miles. I am told tha the clutch is good and no grinding through the gears at all. I am going to fly in as soon as I can but I was wondering if anyone was in the area?

The paint looks straight for the age and the interiror looks pretty clean...it is so hard to judge from pictures but before I make a 9 hour drive from Houston I want to make sure it is worth it with trailer in tow.

Any other questions you can think of that I should ask the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Nobody has any comments or suggestions? I thought I would post a picture of the car in order to spur some thought...

I checked a local Ferrari mechanic in the area last night and he is going to do a pre inspection for me, although he is NOT with Ferrari, just a local shop that services several 308's and 328's. Hopefully this will help instead of me flying to Lubbock and finding a pile of scrap.

Check it out...
Attached Images

post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I didn't respond as I am further from Lubbock than you are and not available to look at the car. Seriously though, it sounds like you have it covered. The PPI should answer any questions you have. The car looks clean and straight and everything seems to be in order. It looks like a good buy. I guess the only other thing I would ask is about the service. The service was done at 35k, but how long ago was that? The timing belts are recommended to be changed at 30k or 3 years. I go 5 years, but if I am buying a car I want them no more than 2 years old.

If the PPI comes back clean and you are comfortable with the car I wouldn't bother flying down just to look at it, drive down with the trailer and bring it home. Or better yet, fly down to Lubbock and drive it home. If an independent Ferrari mechanic says the car is good to go, I wouldn't hesitate to drive a new 328 nine hours. I towed my 308 ten hours when I bought it because I didn't trust the carbs and points on a car I'd never driven. The 328 is the most reliable and bulletproof of the 3x8 series. That's a car you can drive home.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
I hope I'm not completely winging it with my guess here, but aren't those the exact floormats someone in another thread was asking for?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, i dont know if someonw was looking for these fllor mats but if they are tell them to send me a PM...I will mmost likely change them out.

The PI went well, the only thing the mechanic could find wrong was the need to complete the major service. I am going to drive up to Lubbock Thursday morning with trailer in tow. I actually bought the car on e-bay so it is already done I just have to go up to Lubbock to make sure it is everything the seller described to me. Sor far it seems good, the mechanic says the car looks very straight, no paint work done or needed other than rock chips on the nose. He said the transmission shifts and downshifts good with no grinding or grabbing. the motor pulls strong with no smoke....I will post more when i return from Lubbock.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
It looks like you are getting a PPI which is the smartest thing you can do. Once that is done you'll have an idea as to the condition of the car as well as any work that will need to be done right away. I hope it works out for you and you end up with it. The interior looks to be in great condition.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Congrats man!!! It looks like you got a good car and you made a smart, well-informed buy. Welcome to the world of Ferrari ownership!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the words or encouragement and the warm welcome. I have dine a lot of research on this forum as well as others...no doubt you guys have made the process a lot easier since I had no clue what to look for when it comes to Ferrari's. One thing I will need now is a good mechanic to perform the major service for me here in Houston. I plan on doing all of the other maintenance myself (something enjoy and have always done with my other cars) I could most likely handle the major as well but I dont want to tackle that just yet. It looks to me like the motor in the Ferrari is a lot like my 68 E-Type, very tight tolerances.

Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Houston area?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode