308 Any Elegant Way to Drain Coolant? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Any Elegant Way to Drain Coolant?

My car has no good access to drain the radiator without removing the front valance. This service proved to be a big mess. Got it under control, but really didn't enjoy this

Thanks for any helpful tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-29-2018, 03:45 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Pulling the front valence yields little benefit, as there no drain plug anyhow....
Most folks add a "Prestone or equiv" 16mm 5/8"heater hose drain kit under the steering rack access panel.
Sometime you can get lucky and get the block drain petcock to move. Presuming it does, there will be coolant just about everywhere due to its placement. If originality is not a concern, the are companies that make better spigot with provisions for an actual outlet hose to make block draining a bit cleaner.

I find that raising the front helps to get more coolant out.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 3 Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
Pulling the front valence yields little benefit, as there no drain plug anyhow....
Most folks add a "Prestone or equiv" 16mm 5/8"heater hose drain kit under the steering rack access panel.
Sometime you can get lucky and get the block drain petcock to move. Presuming it does, there will be coolant just about everywhere due to its placement. If originality is not a concern, the are companies that make better spigot with provisions for an actual outlet hose to make block draining a bit cleaner.

I find that raising the front helps to get more coolant out.

Very good idea~ That lower heater hose returns at a lo point in the cooling system, and is large enough to drain at a reasonable rate. Now to make it go c l e a n l y ! There's a trick. It'd be great to simply pull of that simple bottom cover to service the cooling system as logically as an oil change. Even the brake calipers bleed nipples that are not too terrible to fuss with. Just the coolant handling is silly. Splashes everywhere, runs down everything, doesn't evaporate, stinks, on and on. I came across a nice inline valve from aircraft spruce. I believe made by Curtiss. Some of these valves satisfy a bunch of aircraft spec's which I appreciate. Now to find, or make a clean "T" to adapt. The inline valves come in Al and anodized Al, as well as brass. I'm thinking Al to not add more weight.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode