328 Cold Start Problem - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
328 Cold Start Problem

I've owned my 328 for 18 months and it's been very reliable, always started easily every time. I last ran the car in January and afterwards parked it in the garage as usual. A week later when I started her, she sounded terrible, miss-firing and generally running poorly. I tried to keep her running to clear the problem, but after a few minutes it seemed that the plugs maybe fouled so I gave up. I changed the plugs (the old ones were very black) expecting that it may cure the problem, but she was exactly the same. I've since managed to keep her running, despite the misfire, until she warms up and then she is fine, but as soon as I try a cold start I get the same problem all over again. I've changed the Throttle Position Sensor, but to no avail and now am thinking that maybe the Auxillary Starting Assembly may be at fault, but I don't know if it's possible to check this device before I renew it.
Has anyone experienced similar problems or can you offer any advice regarding the Auxillary Starting Assembly?
I would appreciate any help.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Did you fill the car up with petrol right before you parked it? Is this the same fuel that was in the car in January? Sounds like you could have got some bad gas or some water in the fuel.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

I fuelled the car at the start of my journey in January (she was almost empty when I started). As I recall I put half a tank of petrol in. I then ran about 40 miles during which I did notice the slightest missfire under load at low revs (accelerating in 5th at about 30mph) but I put this down to a dirty plug, maybe I'm wrong about that.
I parked the car in the garage that evening and the problem occured next time I tried to start her.
I guess there is a possibility of water in the fuel. I dont know how to test for this, so I will try and drain as much as I can and replace it with fresh fuel.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers!

post #4 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Probably when you put the fuel in in January the water was all mixed in with the fuel. A week later it had all settled out to the bottom.

You may want to change the fuel filter while you are at it.

Capt. Pete
post #5 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
Pete's error

Pete isn't it your yob to separate oil from water
If not what the f**k are you doing on your drillship
Except watching p*rn movies all day
So we can all blame Pete for having water in our fuel
post #6 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Not my fault, all I do is drill the hole.

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
Pete it is your fault.........

and please dont let me know what you are doing when you are home
I meant what you are doing when you are on the yob
The time that you are being paid for doing something
post #8 of 18 Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
I would also want to confirm that the cold start valve is not getting 12v at all times. Just unplug it the next time you start the car cold and see if there is any change. My car starts fine without it when cold.

Also- run a little Techron through the system.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's 328 View Post
I fuelled the car at the start of my journey in January (she was almost empty when I started). As I recall I put half a tank of petrol in. I then ran about 40 miles during which I did notice the slightest missfire under load at low revs (accelerating in 5th at about 30mph) but I put this down to a dirty plug, maybe I'm wrong about that.
I parked the car in the garage that evening and the problem occured next time I tried to start her.
I guess there is a possibility of water in the fuel. I dont know how to test for this, so I will try and drain as much as I can and replace it with fresh fuel.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers!
Steve, I hope that you didn't buy your fuel from a supermarket, I think that it was Jan/Feb when the problems with contaminated fuel started here in the UK. A couple of colleagues of mine had major problems at the time and it cost them both a fortune to sort out. I hope you aren't effected.
It has certainly put me off buying petrol from tesco's and the like, I only put Shell V Power in mine now, and you get the bonus of a pack of Ferrari cards for every tenner you spend. Whenever I take my Ferrari to the local Shell garage the girl always gives me about a dozen packets

Archie
post #10 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Found the problem!

Thanks to all who replied....after months of chasing the problem around the fuel injection system, I've found the problem!........A Faulty Crank Sensor!...and so easy to test, I wish I'd thought about it earlier.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 08:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
At least it wasn't bad fuel or another problem that could have potentially ruined your engine. Hope everything is going well now!:drive:
post #12 of 18 Old 09-04-2007, 01:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's 328 View Post
Thanks to all who replied....after months of chasing the problem around the fuel injection system, I've found the problem!........A Faulty Crank Sensor!...and so easy to test, I wish I'd thought about it earlier.
I have a similar problem with my Mondial QV. When it's cold the engine idles OK, but when you pull away it starts to misfire. After 3 to 4 mins it runs fine, could I have the same problem ? If so has anyone got a pic of where the crank sensor is and how I can test it. Thanks guys
post #13 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Cold start issue...328

I'd also check the Thermal Time Switch sensor on the manifold. It senses the block temp, and injects fuel into the cylinders until the car warms up. If it isn't working probably, it's a real bitch starting when cold and will run rough for a while until the block heats up. Check it out. I bet you find that's you're problem. They do go, and they are difficult to find...
post #14 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
problem with warm start

I have 1986 3.2 mondial. It starts fine when cold. However when the engine is somewhat cooled (warm) it starts on two-three-four cylinders. it clears after a little while, but it also seems to missfire at idle at times.
It's driving me crazy, anybody has had anything like this/any suggestions on what it could be .
post #15 of 18 Old 10-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by vict View Post
I have 1986 3.2 mondial. It starts fine when cold. However when the engine is somewhat cooled (warm) it starts on two-three-four cylinders. it clears after a little while, but it also seems to missfire at idle at times.
It's driving me crazy, anybody has had anything like this/any suggestions on what it could be .
not sure but gcalo will probably know.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Owner

warm start problem

boxer, who is gcalo????
post #17 of 18 Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Owner

warm start problem

boxer,who is gcalo ???????
post #18 of 18 Old 10-04-2009, 12:57 AM