Sunday Morning with the 308 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Sunday Morning with the 308

Took the 308 GTB out for a long drive this morning. The weather was perfect for driving, mid 60's, and nothing but blue sky. This would be the first long drive in almost 4 months and the 1st after the major service. One turn of the key and the Glass Horse fired right up. As the low fuel light was bright red. off we went to the station for a tank of Pete's stuff. 18 gallons later, we were ready to head to the highway for a gentle warm up run. All the gauges started moving up and to the right exactly as they should. Once everything was warmed up, it was off at the next exit and up into the hills for a short jaunt before heading back down to the coast to complete the circuit.

As soon was we started heading up, memories of why I am fond of this Ferrari came immediately back. It is a truly involving car to drive. While the steering lightens up once you get going, it still requires 2 firm hands and concentration to keep it on the right line. As the road curves back and forth while rolling up and down, you constantly need to clang the stick through the metal gate between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Keep the engine above 3500 rpms and it has plenty of teeth, below and it just gums at the road until the revs build back up. The way in which the exhaust starts screaming at 4000 rpms just serves to reinforce the sensation of power delivery. I used to drive the same route with the 512 BB but it is a very different experience. With the big Flat 12, if you get a bit lazy, you can just slot it into 3rd and use your right foot with the huge reserves of torque to power you through all the twisty stuff. In a 308, you got to work hard to get it right. Fun.

With very few people out, the pace was quick and with the windows down, I could hear 8 cylinder sound track bouncing between the hills. Even the mountain bikers that I passed smiled and waved. Once through the hills it was a fast run down the coast and back home. We did a cool down lap around the block before heading in. As it was the 1st hard run, I did check the oil and the level was spot on. Happy owner, happy car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Damn….I love reading about stuff like that…amazing Boxer….im happy she still makes you desire her even after buying an F40…you get two thumbs up from me.

Mario

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
posts like this are one of the main reasons why I can't stop visiting this forum!

thanks, Boxer, again it was a pleasure to read your story!

do you think the 308 is more of a driver's car than the 355?

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy

post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
posts like this are one of the main reasons why I can't stop visiting this forum!

thanks, Boxer, again it was a pleasure to read your story!

do you think the 308 is more of a driver's car than the 355?
Thanks.

The 308 and F355 are very different cars. The F355 has much more power and corners on rails. It is near impossible to push the back end out unless you are really trying to (or doing something pretty stupid). The steering is bit over assisted and could use more feedback. It is a car you can drive hard or just cruise in. To pull performance out, the 308 demands a lot more attention and skill.

Put another way, it is easy to take your neighbors 15 year old out in the F355 and scare the crap out of him. In the 308, you got to work to do it.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
I always thought about both of those cars (355 and 308) as potential first Ferraris and wondered about a comparison.

A great story boxer, glad you enjoy your car.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Boxer,
I'm glad I could help provide the fuel that allows you go on these adventures. You make the best posts about your driving experiences. You put the 308 driving experience into words. The car comes alive at 3,500 rpms. If you want to really drive a 308, you don't ever want to be under 3 grand on the tach.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Boxer,
I'm glad I could help provide the fuel that allows you go on these adventures. You make the best posts about your driving experiences. You put the 308 driving experience into words. The car comes alive at 3,500 rpms. If you want to really drive a 308, you don't ever want to be under 3 grand on the tach.
Much appreciated. and nope, under 3 grand wouldn't be prudent.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode