Testarossa or 348tb? Which would you buy? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-24-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Testarossa or 348tb? Which would you buy?

Hi.

I have an opportunity to purchase my first Ferrari, and I'm wondering your thoughts on the Testarossa vs. a 348tb. The Testarossa is a 1987 with 26000 km (approx. 18,000 miles) and all service records. The 348tb is a 1990 with 38000 km (approx. 24000 miles), also with all records. Both cars are extremely clean, the Testarossa is more money.

I've always been drawn to the Testarossa, it was my dream car as a kid, but I like the look of the 348 as well. I haven't yet driven either one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm a car enthusiast, but this will represent the biggest car purchase I've made, and also the fastest car I've ever driven.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckcarguy View Post
Hi.

I have an opportunity to purchase my first Ferrari, and I'm wondering your thoughts on the Testarossa vs. a 348tb. The Testarossa is a 1987 with 26000 km (approx. 18,000 miles) and all service records. The 348tb is a 1990 with 38000 km (approx. 24000 miles), also with all records. Both cars are extremely clean, the Testarossa is more money.

I've always been drawn to the Testarossa, it was my dream car as a kid, but I like the look of the 348 as well. I haven't yet driven either one.

Thanks.
They are very different cars. The Testarossa is a true grand tourer and the 348 a more agile sports car. Drive them both and I believe you will have a clear answer.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
They are very different cars. ... Drive them both and I believe you will have a clear answer.
Absolutely! Your driving style will determine which you will buy. Also make sure you review the buyer's guides here on the site.
Good luck.

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)

post #4 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungathart View Post
Absolutely! Your driving style will determine which you will buy. Also make sure you review the buyer's guides here on the site.
Good luck.
You can download both Buyers Guides from:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
post #5 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Here's my problem. I'm buying the car through a broker/dealer that I know, but having it shipped to me. I'm located in Northern Canada, and Ferraris here are few and far between, so I don't have the opportunity to drive one first. I've got faith in the dealer (I've bought from him before, including a several trucks, a gorgeous Mercedes 500sl, and a classic Porsche 912), and I do have full maintenance records, so I'm relatively certain I'm buying a solid car at a fair price, but unfortunately I can't make the judgment based on a test drive.

Okay, I know I probably shouldn't buy any car without driving it, but the truth is, I'm bound and determined to buy one of the cars, and can't be talked out of that (you should ask my wife, if you don't believe me!).

It's probably not a fair position to put you in, but what's your gut tell you is the better car to buy, based on my situation? Unfortunately, I can't buy them both!
post #6 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Quoting Bart: "12 Cylinders or walk"!

But seriously, I think you need a 12 in your nice collection. There is something special about a 12 cylinder sound, whether in a 400Automatic, or a Testarossa. Lastly, buying a Testarossa is buying a legend, whereas buying, say a Mondial QV, you are buying a Ferrari.

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #7 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Well.....first recommendation is to find a dealer who has both a TR and a 348, and then get on a plane and spend a day or two looking at/test driving both. Many people spend 6+ months searching for the right Ferrari and then test drive 4-5 of the same model before they decide on a specific car.

If this is simply not possible, then as a very very broad general recommendation based on how you intend to use the car:

- highway/long distance touring: Testarossa
- back country, hills, twisty stuff & on the track: 348

Good luck.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-29-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Okay, I've taken the plunge.

I've purchased a 1991 Ferrari Testarossa, and it is being shipped to me.

Here's a question that's bound to make me look a bit ridiculous...

I've fooled around with a couple of 911s in the last couple of years, and have driven some wonderful, if rather common, cars... BMW 540, Mercedes 600sel, Mercedes 500sl, etc.

But I'm a bit nervous about driving the Testarossa without some basic instruction - tips for getting the most out of the Testarossa, and, frankly, not screwing it up. Any idea where I might turn for this? Is this a crazy question?

Thanks.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Congrats !

Congratulations! I presume you followed what your heart told you to do, thus the right choice for you. You would thoroughly enjoy that V12. As stated earlier, V12 is special. Not that V8 is not. They're just different. If you are a sensible driver, you would not screw up. Get used to the car gradually. Oh, just watch out for those bumps and humps to prevent scrapes. Enjoy ! Jimmy
post #10 of 29 Old 04-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you get lot's of enjoyment from it. Keep us all updated on your experiences with it.
How about posting some pics?
Have fun

Archie
post #11 of 29 Old 04-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckcarguy View Post
Okay, I've taken the plunge.

But I'm a bit nervous about driving the Testarossa without some basic instruction - tips for getting the most out of the Testarossa, and, frankly, not screwing it up. Any idea where I might turn for this? Is this a crazy question?

Thanks.
I would recommend contacting your local Ferrari Owners Club or Dealership. See if they can recommend a performance driving school/instructor who can take you out both on normal roads and a track. They will be able to show you how to get the most out of the TR.

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
post #12 of 29 Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Just use your common sense and driving abilities.

A few notes from a relatively new (9/06) TR owner:

*Do let it warm up for a few minutes before driving off.
*2nd gear will be a b**ch until the tranny gets nice and warm, be gentle/firm (you will see what I mean after a few trips) or skip it and go straight to 3rd - plenty of torque to go around.
*Beware of curbs, speed bumps, driveways, etc. The car is extemely low with a lot of front overhang. You WILL scrape the spoiler. Curbs next to you are also dangerous for the doors.
*The only true "driving" advice I can give was passed on to my by a long time TR driver: "If you are in a turn and feeling uneasy - NEVER lift. Gently left foot brake instead." TRs have a pretty bad habit of lift oversteer.

Enjoy it. Drive it!

CC
post #13 of 29 Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the advice.

I will post pictures when the car arrives. I'll also likely rave a bit about the car.

Much as I enjoy my air-cooled Porsche 911, I think this Ferrari is going to blow my mind...
post #14 of 29 Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Congtats!! I am also in Canada, Winnipeg! Just got a 308GTBi, my second Ferrari, I USED to own a 1971 246GT "Dino". What colour is your new Testarossa? There is a black one here, although I've yet to meet the owner! My 308 is black! CIAO! Dennis
post #15 of 29 Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Dennis,

You might want to try and get a local group going in the Canada section:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31
post #16 of 29 Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino246gt View Post
Congtats!! I am also in Canada, Winnipeg! Just got a 308GTBi, my second Ferrari, I USED to own a 1971 246GT "Dino". What colour is your new Testarossa? There is a black one here, although I've yet to meet the owner! My 308 is black! CIAO! Dennis
It's red exterior, black interior. I'd likely have opted for the tan interior (it just seems like the classic combination) but the car is perfect, and I think the black stands up a bit better...

I'm as giddy as a school-kid waiting for the car. Feels like the night before Christmas...
post #17 of 29 Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Sounds awesome, looking forward to hearing your experience and seeing photos.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Hi there , i also just bought a testarossa 1985 27000 miles full history , nice mota ,a bit quick huh , the gears , woh ,hard work or what , and the clutch ,is it normal to have fight over wich gear the car will or wont let you use at the same time as breaking your leg , im only 5ft 4 , well and a half ..
but what a motor car , awesome ,absolutely awesome ..
please let me know if its possible to achieve , nice , smooth , relaxing gear changes whilst terrifying every other road user or will i always look as scared as they do
post #19 of 29 Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I have had my 89 Rossa for 2 years now (purhcase with 10,000 now at 14,000) the fussy gear selection is just the nature of the beast they are stiff until they get some heat in them my car came from a static collection so for the first month or two second was almost unusable but over time they limber up...just keep driving it the more she is driven the better the 'box responds...I also installed a Hill Engineering Slick Shift Gate and it has been a godsend on that dogleg 2nd gear change when I am at speed
post #20 of 29 Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by the head View Post
I have had my 89 Rossa for 2 years now (purhcase with 10,000 now at 14,000) the fussy gear selection is just the nature of the beast they are stiff until they get some heat in them my car came from a static collection so for the first month or two second was almost unusable but over time they limber up...just keep driving it the more she is driven the better the 'box responds...I also installed a Hill Engineering Slick Shift Gate and it has been a godsend on that dogleg 2nd gear change when I am at speed
2nd gear, as almost all, are difficult when car isn't warmed up. takes about 10 min. for gears, and about 20-30 before I feel comfortable that car is up to speed for 'faster' stuff: that's on my 456 GT, that is, the Mondial T has same gear issues but you can subtract about 10 min. from above figures.

enjoy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode