308 Ignition Upgrade XDI - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-14-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
308 Ignition Upgrade XDI

One of my ECU's stopped working so I'm looking at upgrading my 1982 308 to the XDI. Any helpful suggestions? I'm using the camshaft sensor instead of the crankshaft. What timing settings work well with this system? Any shortcuts or savings to be had? I'll likely Ebay the rest of the ignition system once removed. The working ECU appears to be a newer one than the dud. It has neoprene gaskets instead of paper and a slightly different electronic configuration on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
Hi,

i have an 85 308Qv and had the XDI installed about a month ago. My friend has a 77 carbed with XDI. Great system! Main tips are to follow Nick's suggestions, he KNOWS these systems. As for setting, i have mine at 10/25/0.5. Nick sets them at 10/30/-2 or thereabouts. The only real way to be sure of the settings is once installed go to a dyno and tune your idle first via the dyno's wideband 02 sensor. You want to aim for around 13. Once there you have them do a run and log the A/F. Adjust advance accordingly within sane parameters. Check your owners manual as around page 70 or so should be what the stock advance curve is. That should give you a nice ballpark figure.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
XDI Ignition

Great, thanks.

That's a good start. I would love to see Nick's directions to see if this is over my head to install. If I felt confident enough then I would likely take on the installation myself over the winter. If not then I would get the materials over the winter and look for a shop in the spring for installation.

The manual doesn't help much as there are no timing adjustments on an '82.

I picked up the Ferrari last fall and absolutely love it. I've worked on and driven corvettes for 30 years so this car is a bit of a departure for me. I always loved the sound of a V8 with side pipes but the sound that a Ferrari makes can only be described as music!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode