1980 308 GTSi distributors and rotors? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-01-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 62
1980 308 GTSi distributors and rotors?

Well I was planning on doing the simple task of replacing my plugs and wires last night and after I removed the first distributor cap the rotor fell apart in my hand and the cap has been damaged from the worn/fragile rotor. So now obviously I need to replace the the caps and rotors but am rather bothered by the high price of caps and rotors. I've found them from Italian Car Parts for about $350 per cap and $280 per rotor, seems high to me. I'm OK with the price of the caps, but the rotor seems very high, and when only the 80-82 (2) valve cars use the expensive rotor, and most others use a less expensive $99 rotor. Best as I can tell most all 308's, both the 2v and 4v use the same distributor caps, cannot then the same rotor be used? Just wondering and looking for some advice. Thanks

Tifosi
1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi
2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG
2004 Triumph Bonneville - Cafe Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-02-2006, 04:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
As i recall, most of the 3x8 series uses those expensive rotors. Frankly, i'd dump the stock system for that offered by Superperformance UK or the Electromotive system by Nick Forza. This way you do away with expensive rotors/wires/etc.

Next week we will be installing the Electromotive system in the 308Qv here. Good riddance $$$ caps and wires and on with new direct fire technology
post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I have a 1980 308GTB in which Brian Stewart just complete rebuilt the engine at a phenomonally low cost. I do not know how he does it but give him a call as he is great. His number is 317-271-9955. He owns an exotic repair shop here in Indy and was the F-1 crew chief for Ferrari for many years. Good luck.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Changing from stock distributor to electronic

After the change from points to totally electronic, can you actually feel a difference in performance and throttle response? Which type if preferable the type you replace the points or the whole system where there are individual coils per cylinder.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode