I finally got around to installing my evoflow cats that I bought a good while ago. I kept getting a cat code and had worked through most of the other possibilities. Car is a 96 spider with Tubi headers and Tubi exhaust.
Everything went together pretty smooth until I put the thermocouple back in. They wouldn't seat. Played around with it for a while and it didn't want to go in.
It ended up being a bur in the hole on the CATS. I took a drill bit and cleaned it out and they went in no problem. My guess is that they cut the threaded tubing and never cleaned the end before welding it in. Otherwise fit and finish of the CATS was pretty good. I had no flange mounting hole issues like Dave did.
I started the car and had a couple of exhaust leaks and a SDL flashing. I got the exhaust leaks fixed (left an pre cat O2 sensor very loose!) and figured I had mangled a TC trying to get it to go in. I took it for a drive.
It is slightly louder but not at all obnoxious. Overall I really like it. The burble I had under light throttle is gone, and it burbles a bit with no throttle. My initial seat of the pants dyno suggests that it has a bit quicker throttle response, and seems to idle better for some crazy reason.
As I was turning into the neighborhood the SDL turned off! Either someone was looking out for me or else it recovered from the 02 sensor being loose. I am going to erase any engine codes and then reset engine computer. Hopefully, this will solve my cat efficiency code.
FWIW, original CATS appeared intact under visual inspection.
Thanks again to Dave for suggesting these cats.