F355 evoflow cats - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
evoflow cats

I finally got around to installing my evoflow cats that I bought a good while ago. I kept getting a cat code and had worked through most of the other possibilities. Car is a 96 spider with Tubi headers and Tubi exhaust.

Everything went together pretty smooth until I put the thermocouple back in. They wouldn't seat. Played around with it for a while and it didn't want to go in.

It ended up being a bur in the hole on the CATS. I took a drill bit and cleaned it out and they went in no problem. My guess is that they cut the threaded tubing and never cleaned the end before welding it in. Otherwise fit and finish of the CATS was pretty good. I had no flange mounting hole issues like Dave did.

I started the car and had a couple of exhaust leaks and a SDL flashing. I got the exhaust leaks fixed (left an pre cat O2 sensor very loose!) and figured I had mangled a TC trying to get it to go in. I took it for a drive.

It is slightly louder but not at all obnoxious. Overall I really like it. The burble I had under light throttle is gone, and it burbles a bit with no throttle. My initial seat of the pants dyno suggests that it has a bit quicker throttle response, and seems to idle better for some crazy reason.

As I was turning into the neighborhood the SDL turned off! Either someone was looking out for me or else it recovered from the 02 sensor being loose. I am going to erase any engine codes and then reset engine computer. Hopefully, this will solve my cat efficiency code.

FWIW, original CATS appeared intact under visual inspection.

Thanks again to Dave for suggesting these cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Hi Ernest,

Glad to see you got these installed. Pretty surprised your OEM cats looked good - that might suggest you have an O2 sensor on the way out but I'd clock some more miles and see if the code comes back. The SD may be a result of the TC you think you have compromised.

I've not done many miles with my new cats (approx 400-500) but all seems well.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Some pictures of the cats and car. According to my records that came with the car it looked like one was replaced a while back. Car has 38K miles. Even if they did still have some life, I like the sound a lot better.
Attached Images

post #4 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Owner

Garage
You are better off with metallic cores.

Nice lift. Not sure where you are picking up but if you use the spots I recommend, you don't need the large jack stand
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

I use your spots. One of the first things I printed out when I got my car. Even bought some hockey pucks! No one down here in SC can figure out what they are when they see them.

I use the large jack stand when my son is around to try and teach him extra safety. I worry so much about my kids seeing me do stuff and think they can just do it. Things like chainsaws, tractors, car lifts, and power tools scare me now that he is older and more on his own. I guess we all have to learn. The large stand also works good to adjust the muffler. It never gets tired of holding something.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Owner

Garage
Very cool. It took me a while to get comfortable under the lift. With the 355, I'm now very comfortable but my 5000 lb Maserati GT still scares the crap out of me

When I first stated using the lift, Tim (Silly, SoCal) said raise the car a foot of the ground and grab from and rear bumper and shake the crap out of the car. Well, I did that (kind of). I did not go crazy but I did test with some minor shake and all was well.

For the record, I hate jack stand. Did I say, I hate Jack stands? Yes, I hate them. Always made me nervous and like you are doing with your son, my Dad did with me. He always taught me to put boards under the car along with the jack stands. One of my best friends had a childhood friend die from a car falling off stands onto him and I never forget that story.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-14-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

The Maserati GT is a beautiful car. Always very sad to hear about people injured or killed working under cars.

I have had that lift for almost 15 years. Best money I have ever spent. Period. It is a Rotary brand. I wish it had the adjustable round lift feet. It does take time to get used to the lift, but I do not miss crawling on my back. I also do a test shake when t gets off the ground. YouTube is full of videos of cars falling of of lifts.

When I was younger I was always taught to push the wheels under the car just in case the jack stand failed. If we didn't take the wheels off, we had an old set of wide metal corvette rims that we would put under the tires.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2016, 02:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
You are better off with metallic cores.

The OE cats pictured are metallic core, Dave.

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
85 308 GTB QV red/tan (original owner)
95 F355 Spider SwatersBlu/tan
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2016, 02:53 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john85QV View Post
The OE cats pictured are metallic core, Dave.
Wow, had not even bothered to notice. That's cool and probably why they are nicely intact.

Ernest, hang on to those.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2016, 02:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Wow, had not even bothered to notice. That's cool and probably why they are nicely intact.

Ernest, hang on to those.

Also, they don't appear to have been subject to overheating. SDL a fluke or due to something else? Cat codes also something else?

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
85 308 GTB QV red/tan (original owner)
95 F355 Spider SwatersBlu/tan
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

The code would always pop up after a long steady drive. Driving around town, I would never get any codes or even pending codes. I drove it 400-500 miles. I monitored several drives over the summer and nothing showed up. Only thing I ever noticed was Bank 2 LTFT went up over time. I am wondering if I may have an air leak somewhere I haven't found.

My plan is to reset everything and start from scratch with monitoring in real time various drives to see if I can see anything acting up. I have my unit set up to monitor:

1. Pre and Post 02
2. LTFT and STFT
3. Engine coolant temp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode