smoke from exhaust on 355 .. normal ?! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
smoke from exhaust on 355 .. normal ?!

so following on from my hunt for a 355 GTB..... (earlier thread - "buying a 355 in UK - london") .. last weekend.. I visited a dealer...

ideally i want a red ferrari (call me boring ;-)..... however I saw a black one at www.theferraricentre.com. Anyone know about this car ?... (it is on their website)

The salesman rolled the car out of the showroom and started the engine... and then proceeded to blip the thottle to demonstrate how the sports exhaust sounds... While the engine was being revved.. I saw light smoke coming out of the exhaust..(when the revs were high and when the pedal was backed off).. (not plumes of smoke)... But just a haze of bluish smoke.. as if a little oil was being burnt... (car is LHD 1997 model with around 25000 miles on it). When I questioned it.. he said.. "Ferrari's have race bred engines .. they all burn a little bit of oil". Now... guys.. please...help me out here.. is this normal..? or is the car "unhealthy" in some way... he says the car is in "perfect condition".

all you 355 owners.. If you start your car up from stone cold..and then blip the throttle and maybe rev a little bit..(not that you would do that on a regular basis !) you see absolutely no smoke whatsoever ? is that how they are supposed to be ? or a little smoke expected as i saw above...

Following from this anyone has a 1996 or later model F355 GTB (red) to sell.. in the region of 35,000 ? (LHD cars are fine..) ...very much interested if so...

thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
A 355 should not smoke and it should burn very little oil. Shocking as it might be, the salesman was lying.

However you said the car smoked immediatly after cold start up. What you were seeing was almost certainly steam from condensate in the exhaust and not oil smoke.

Any 355 you consider buying should be inspected before purchase by a third party of your choosing and oil consumption or signs of oil burning should be a reason to walk away. On a 355 that is a very bad sign.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Echoing Brian's comments, a bit of white smoke at start up, especially if the car has been sitting for a while is not cause for alarm. It should stop in a minute or two.

Bluish smoke on a F355 is not good news.

I owned a F355 for several years and one thing it did not do was burn oil.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemang
.. "Ferrari's have race bred engines .. they all burn a little bit of oil".
Mine doesn't burn any oil. It does blow a little smoke at start up when I "blip" the throttle but that is due to the carbs, it goes away when it is warmed up. The 355 has computer controlled fuel injection. It shouldn't smoke.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode