F355 1995 gated Berlinetta vs 1998 F1 GTS - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2015, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
1995 gated Berlinetta vs 1998 F1 GTS

Greetings All,

So, I've owned my 98 F1 GTS for nearly 3 years (3 driving seasons). I've driven approx 5000 miles total. So, plenty of seat time.

The F1 is beyond awesome. I think some that say they don't like it perhaps do not drive the car correctly. What I have learned is the car should always be in sport mode and I shift at 5000 PRM minimum - the higher the better. My car shifts super fast and super smooth. It's simply fantastic.

Now, I recently pickup a very early 95 gated Berlinetta. Admittedly, I have far less seat time in that car. Only a couple hundred miles but I do think enough to provide an opinion (stress opinion).

The gated experience is outstanding. And, the 95 does bring a more raw feeling to the experience. I've driving lots of sticks in my life. My first car was a stick and I owned a 95 vette too. The gate is cool and everything it's made out to be with the metal clanking, etc.

However, many state "when cold, the gearbox has a hard time with second gear". This car has zero issue with any gears - none, nadda, zip. So, I'd supect those that say that have a poorly adjusted shift linkage or the wrong gearbox fluid.

In summary, I really enjoy the experience of both cars. While they are the same model car, the feeling is very different when driving each with a the different gearbox.

Still, if I had to choose one, it would be the F1. But, not by much. I'd say 55/45.

When my project 95 is complete, I think it will be a keeper right next to my 98 F1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
Dave,
I'm ashamed for you. You've been around long enough to know how the game is played - you pick one, and trash the other. You have to have some real distain for one of the systems, and all who drive them.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vracer View Post
Dave,
I'm ashamed for you. You've been around long enough to know how the game is played - you pick one, and trash the other. You have to have some real distain for one of the systems, and all who drive them.

Hi Richard,

Had I posted this on Fchat, the thread would have exploded.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
Good post! It's nice you have both to compare. Now you need to get a friend behind the wheel of one and do some highway runs "somewhere in mexico"

Same here on the gearbox, shifts perfect cold. (but of course I keep the rpm down until there's good oil temp)
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Hey Jim, was your first 355 an F1? I can't recall. I recall it was a later car..
post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
3 pedal, but yes a later 99.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Hi Richard,

Had I posted this on Fchat, the thread would have exploded.
He speaks the truth...LOL.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode