F355 Turn Indicator Relay ('98 Spider/Euro) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Turn Indicator Relay ('98 Spider/Euro)

G'day gentlemen

I've been trying to find the turn indicator relay on my Australian F355 Spider. I've tracked down a part number for the relay using an online catalogue, but would like some sort of confirmation (visual sighting of the part number) before purchasing this item. The P/N is 171798 for my right hand drive car (non-USA, post assembly number 24038).

I've found the unit which creates the *audio* for the turn, but not the actual indicator relay. There is one relay/unit close by to the audio generator, but it's wrapped in sticky disintegrating foam and hard to get to, so I don't want to go to great lengths to remove that and find out it's the wrong item. A previous forum post suggests it's under the carpet in the driver's footwell, but no luck finding it there.

When making a left hand turn, the flash speed sometimes varies. When the speed changes, the front left turn indicator stops working. I've cleaned the contacts on the bulbs (front and rear) and the lamp holders. I also discovered some cracked connector plugs on the front harness (and replaced the harness without success), and have been looking for other solutions. I'm not sure where the grounds/earths are for this system.
The only lamp I haven't removed is the small round one on the side of the car. I'm not sure how to remove that. Does it screw out?

Thanks for any feedback.
Best wishes
Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2015, 06:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qavion View Post
G'day gentlemen

I've been trying to find the turn indicator relay on my Australian F355 Spider. I've tracked down a part number for the relay using an online catalogue, but would like some sort of confirmation (visual sighting of the part number) before purchasing this item. The P/N is 171798 for my right hand drive car (non-USA, post assembly number 24038).

I've found the unit which creates the *audio* for the turn, but not the actual indicator relay. There is one relay/unit close by to the audio generator, but it's wrapped in sticky disintegrating foam and hard to get to, so I don't want to go to great lengths to remove that and find out it's the wrong item. A previous forum post suggests it's under the carpet in the driver's footwell, but no luck finding it there.

When making a left hand turn, the flash speed sometimes varies. When the speed changes, the front left turn indicator stops working. I've cleaned the contacts on the bulbs (front and rear) and the lamp holders. I also discovered some cracked connector plugs on the front harness (and replaced the harness without success), and have been looking for other solutions. I'm not sure where the grounds/earths are for this system.
The only lamp I haven't removed is the small round one on the side of the car. I'm not sure how to remove that. Does it screw out?

Thanks for any feedback.
Best wishes
Ian.
See this one:
Ferrari 213326 Direction Emergency Light Relay Valid for USA and CDN | eBay
post #3 of 6 Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, but that's a US/Canada version. I needed a Euro version.

Don't ask me what the differences are, though

post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qavion View Post
Thanks, but that's a US/Canada version. I needed a Euro version.

Don't ask me what the differences are, though
Sorry, but the European schematics and blinking timing are not any different from US/Canadian specs. However, I may be missing something...

Maybe someone on the forum can address this question?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-24-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I wish I knew the answer, too. I put the new official Ferrari UKP107 relay (P/N 171798) into the car today and instead of only the left side going fast, both sides went fast!

I refitted the old relay. Both side (left/right) indicators ran at the speed which I expected from a serviceable car (The left side did sometimes work ok before... It was intermittent). I swapped the old/new relays back and forth a few times, and always the same results (so it's not intermittent connections on the back of the relay).

I don't know if the part they sent me is faulty, or if the part number is wrong for my Australian car.

Cheers
Ian.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

The answer may be in this message thread. An additional side marker light? The USA ones seem to have two rectangular side markers.

[360] turn signal flashers - FerrariChat.com

Last edited by Qavion; 08-24-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode