1990 348ts $8900! Wtf? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 280
1990 348ts $8900! huh?

There's one in my area up for sale for that price. What in the WORLD could be wrong with it? I'm going to call him... but please, what do you think?

EDIT: Just a thought- maybe it's a typo and it's $89K. Although, that sounds a bit high for a 348.

Last edited by FerrariKiller; 03-06-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
One word comes to mind.....replica
post #3 of 18 Old 03-06-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I thought that too. I'll give him a call though, I have never heard of or seen a 348 replica.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-2006, 01:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 613
Is it a wreck?
post #5 of 18 Old 03-07-2006, 01:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
if it is a replica, don't buy it
if it is a wreck, don't buy it
if it is a real Ferrari in good condition, consider it

although 8900 for a Ferrari is nuts, something is ver very wrong with the car. But no worry, you won't find a 348 for 8900
post #6 of 18 Old 03-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariKiller
I thought that too. I'll give him a call though, I have never heard of or seen a 348 replica.

I have seen really nice MR2 348/355 bumpers.....and I was impressed with the results. But the cars are very similar in looks. Some kits are pretty cool.

http://www.cacars.com/used-cars/3194.htm / this one is funny because its a kit of a 355 but advertised as 348 hahaha!!!!! Dumb ass !

http://www.shophyperformance.com/sto...ml?id=tDaTSDji

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 03-07-2006 at 07:43 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-08-2006, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's not a kit. I called today and talked to the guy. He told me that it runs well and is in good shape. He was indeed asking $8,900 -- it wasn't a typo. At this time I thought it was too good to be true, and I may be correct.

I asked where he was, and he said Orange County. I asked for directions so that I could come and see it, and he said "Oh, you can't come see it!"

I asked why, and he said that the car was in a garage in Portland, Oregon, where he lives. This, of course, sounds VERY fishy. I am wondering how I should go about this. I will probably find out that this is a con, but should I ask him for the VIN and post it here? It's a 1990 348 TS (supposedely).

I'm no idiot, but I'm a sucker for Ferraris. I promise I won't let him con me, but just help me out. He said he needs to sell it because he lost his job.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paulsi...l000/my_photos

(Photos)

EDIT: is it just the white, or does it look like a kit?
EDIT AGAIN: I just noticed that, in the background, there is a sign that says Ferrari. This HAS to be a complete and total con.

Last edited by FerrariKiller; 03-08-2006 at 08:38 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-08-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Aww, nevermind. Here is the URL he stole the pictures from:

http://www.rtgt.com/index.cfm?fuseac...-2df7e48acb7b&
post #9 of 18 Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Yeah it's a con....I remember seeing that car on ebay a while back also. Well isn't Ron Tonkin in Portland? The only thing he's not lying about is the car's location. I'd just say I have cash in hand....but I wanna buy the car on site. If you-the buyer, the seller, the clear title, and the car are all in the same place at the same time and that VIN matches the title....well that's the deal of the century!
post #10 of 18 Old 03-09-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

It's a proven con. He only would accept payment through escrow, and wouldn't let me "see" the car without payment first. I reported his ad and had it removed, and I'm going to try to report him to the authorities.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-10-2006, 11:38 AM

good job
post #12 of 18 Old 03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
You know, I think the biggest disappointment with eBay is that they seem to care not at all when people try to use an eBay listing in a clear swindle. I reported 4 or 5 listings (mostly Ferraris) that were easily proven fraudulent, and eBay responded each time with a yawn, before I gave up on reporting them anymore.

I wonder if that is an opportunity for a rival auction site to unseat eBay, just by doing minimal policing of the auctions.

Ed
Princeton NJ
456GT
post #13 of 18 Old 03-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariKiller
It's a proven con. He only would accept payment through escrow, and wouldn't let me "see" the car without payment first. I reported his ad and had it removed, and I'm going to try to report him to the authorities.
What you said makes no sense. Payment through escrow protects the buyer and the seller that is why you do an escrow and it is actually to the buyer's advantage as you are sure to not lose your money.

Why would you NOT do a payment through escrow for a car on the Internet. You would be a fool to NOT use an escrow service.

Escrow: "Money, property, a deed, or a bond put into the custody of a third party for delivery to a grantee only after the fulfillment of the conditions specified."

Quit wasting our time with these stupid BS post about cars for sale that don't really exist.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-10-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
What you said makes no sense. Payment through escrow protects the buyer and the seller that is why you do an escrow and it is actually to the buyer's advantage as you are sure to not lose your money.

Why would you NOT do a payment through escrow for a car on the Internet. You would be a fool to NOT use an escrow service.

Escrow: "Money, property, a deed, or a bond put into the custody of a third party for delivery to a grantee only after the fulfillment of the conditions specified."

Quit wasting our time with these stupid BS post about cars for sale that don't really exist.
Escrow is a popular way to con someone, as it would lead someone unsuspecting (I guess like you) to thinking that they are completely safe. The con has created a fake escrow site, taking on the appearance, most likely, of a well-known and trusted one. I don't need to explain further, you see where it's going.

In an effort to persuade a wary Internet auction participant, the perpetrator will propose the use of a third-party escrow service to facilitate the exchange of money and merchandise. The victim is unaware the perpetrator has actually compromised a true escrow site and, in actuality, created one that closely resembles a legitimate escrow service. The victim sends payment to the phony escrow and receives nothing in return. Or, the victim sends merchandise to the subject and waits for his/her payment through the escrow site which is never received because it is not a legitimate service.

I find your last bit a little offensive, considering the fact that I came here for help, hoping that I would buy the 348 that I later found not to be true. If I wanted to waste your time, sir, I'd have done it another way. If anything, this post can serve as a little help to someone who should come in contact with a scam like this in the future. I'm sorry that I'm such a waste of time.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I have never run across a bargain Ferrari. I have seen well priced ones, over priced ones, and ones priced to sell. Just about every "value" or bargain priced Ferrari I have ever run across has had a huge maintenance or restoration bill looming in the near future.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-11-2006, 04:28 AM

These days everybody knows that a prancing horse means money, so the chance of finding a bargain is almost 0. When Ferrari wasn't known very well there were bargains, not these days anymore.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
The problem here FerrariKiller is that this is not your first post like this. Every Ferrari you have looked at has been under 15k.

If you are serious about getting a Ferrari stop looking for bargain basement prices. Because if this is what you want then you cannot afford a Ferrari. There is nothing wrong with not being able to afford something.

I apologize if I had offended you, Ferrari Life is a site for serious Ferrari enthusiast and owners and we are happy to share the Ferrari dream with all. I appreciate any topic which lets buyer's be aware of scams. However, let us all remember that the majority if not all owners here have bought a house prior to buying a Ferrari and have therefore dealt with a legitimate escrow service or lawyer in the past and are smart enought to sense a scam.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-11-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
The problem here FerrariKiller is that this is not your first post like this. Every Ferrari you have looked at has been under 15k.

If you are serious about getting a Ferrari stop looking for bargain basement prices. Because if this is what you want then you cannot afford a Ferrari. There is nothing wrong with not being able to afford something.

I apologize if I had offended you, Ferrari Life is a site for serious Ferrari enthusiast and owners and we are happy to share the Ferrari dream with all. I appreciate any topic which lets buyer's be aware of scams. However, let us all remember that the majority if not all owners here have bought a house prior to buying a Ferrari and have therefore dealt with a legitimate escrow service or lawyer in the past and are smart enought to sense a scam.
I actually, in the past, have asked about 308's, 328's, and Mondials for around $20K. Not 15.

I am not looking for bargain basement prices -- I found one. I think that anyone would jump at the opportunity to own a Ferrari for a "bargain", so my habits are not so odd.

As much as some may want to think so, I'm not an idiot. I know how escrow works, and I know why it would be the method of choice to use when buying a car like this, or any car for that matter. However, I do know when an escrow service is being used as a part of a scam. I posted alot of information here, yet you didn't seem to catch what I meant when I said he wanted to use escrow.

I apoligize for the misunderstanding, and I won't post this "type" of topic again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode