Anyone know this 355? - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 Old 08-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantagenet
My question is this. I have notieced that some F355 have a painted back end(I prefer like this) and others have the black end. Was this just a very simple option preference when you pruchased the car or is there more to it than that.

What you are refering to is the black mesh "challange grill".If the car didnt have this option, the rear was body colored. It was an option for the 355, and it allowed for better air flow and cooling of the engine...I would highly recommend one. That engine gets hot back there, even with the grill.

I myself actually like the contrast against the solid paint colour on the rear deck....especially when the black of the grill is set off against a lighter/brighter color (such as Yellow or Red).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh
14) Throttle sticks a little bit on initial pickup (needs more pressure initially when pulling away then jolts as the pedal moves) this is caused by the throttle cable run not be properly adjusted/lubricated. Its a good indicator of how recently and how well its been serviced. After a service there should be no jolt, but it gets gradually worse the closer you get to the next service.
Excellent post, full of very good info for the 355!

I would only care to add to the above point, regarding the "sticky throttle" issue which has aggravated many a 355 owner...including myself!
It was usually associated with earlier model year cars, especially 1995s, although it could effect any.
In my experience, this was not only a lubrication issue, but a design flaw in the 355 engine. You see, the throttle cable is enclosed within a jacket tubing which runs through some of the hottest parts of the 355s engine. The cable itself is made of a plastic material, and over many hours of exposure to this engine heat, it begins to fray, kink and melt! This leads to it getting caught up/stuck within the cable jacketing, which in turn leads to the occasional sticking. The best solution is to replace the melted/kinked throttle cable (you'll see what I mean when you see it...) and insulate the cable housing with some heat resistant material, so as to slow down the process from happening again. This and some lubrication can usually cure the problem by upwards of 90%.

It makes a day and night difference in the driveability of the car....when I had the problem, it made the car virtually impossible to drive smoothly when going slow, and could be downright dangerous sometimes (especially after re-applying throttle after a turn...)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode