F355 1995 Berlinetta, Rosso Barchetta ZFFPR41A1S0103015 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
1995 Berlinetta, Rosso Barchetta ZFFPR41A1S0103015

Greetings All,

On Friday May 29.2015, my friend Rob flew me down to perform a PPI on this car for sale at RAC Performance in Texas. Rob met me there and we both reviewed the car.

For reference, here is the add posted by RAC Performance:

http://www.racperformance.com/1995-F...-75006/5479652

5,820 MILES 2 OWNER!! LAST DRIVEN IN 1999!! CLEAN CARFAX, $28,000.00 IN MAJOR SERVICE REPAIRS AND EXTRAS (ENGINE OUT JOB). NEW CLUTCH KIT, RELEASE BEARING KIT, WP KIT, MACHINE FLYWHEEL, 355 SK1 MAJOR, NEW BELTS AND TENSIONERS, TRANS MOUNT, TIMING JOB COMPLETED, RADIATOR, A/C COLD, STICKY BUTTONS REPAIRED, NEW MICH. PILOT SUPER SPORTS, 355 BRAKE REBUILD KIT!!! YOU WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER FERRARI 355 BERLINETTA LIKE THIS! DRIVES LIKE A DREAM AND LOOKS EVEN BETTER. DON'T MISS OUT! This car has been inspected by our certified technicians and is ready to drive home. Upgrades are available at RAC Performance. Tunes, exhaust, wheels, tires and much more. - See more at: 1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta | Carrollton, TX | RAC Performance

So, in an effort to fully disclose what I have learned about this car so future owners will know here are the details. IMO, it's not the least bit possible that this is a honest 5820 mile car. Far too many battlescares.

1) The only positive item about the PPI was the compression test. 1 cylinder at 215 PSI, 2 at 212 PSI and the rest at 210 PSI.

2) The paint has micro scratches throughout.

3) The front bumper has upwards of 40 rock chips the size of pellets

4) The rear bumper and possibly the rear grill have been resprayed as tape lines where found

5) Various deep scratches and chips found on paint work

6) Door dings in passenger side upper door

7) All 4 wheels need refinishing due to chips and scratches - not minimal, very large

8) The car pulls to the right

9) Oil pressure on the high side (likely the sender needs to be replaced).

10) The headers are OEM (did not smoke test so we don't know the integrity)

11) The dash leather is very tired. Someone pulled the leather back on the driver's side window corner and used staples to hold it that are visible. Needs recovering

12) The seat leather is very tired also - possibly redyed in the past. Very stiff and hard

13) Various nicks and scuffs all throughout the door panels, center tunnel, etc.

14) Dirty leather, headline and carpets

15) They claim all stickies have been done. Here is the deal - someone did remove the sticky coating and poorly refinish some parts. Others are untouched such as: Rear window exterior trim, mirror triangles, radio/gauge surround/ instrument cluster. IMO, I consider the car in need of all parts refinished.

16) Air vents pushed thru the dash - likely will become damaged when corrected

17) Sport and fog light switches don't stay latched

18) Passenger side air plenum has silver pain all scratched off - driver's side is better

19) AC panel / door in front trunk tied down with zip ties.

20) Huge CD changer mounted in trunk

21) Old style center caps on wheels faded and some cracked

22) No books, tools, or covers.

And, this list only is what we found as we ran out of time. We did not check fully electrical or the underside of the car.

The car was grossly misrepresented and a total waste of our time and my friends money.

As for RAC Performance - terrible organization. I would never, ever do business with these guys. We had requested the use of simple hand tools (I brought all specialty items). The techs in the shop were very unwilling to help. I asked for a set of ball allen wrenches and not a single tech would provide them. We inspected the car in puddles of water becasue the A/C was on the frits and was leaking water all around where we were working. The shop was dim lite. We flew in from out of town - these guys did not even offer us a water after being there 6 hours. Zero care at all.

They had another 355 spider on a lift next to us and they picked it up from the sheet metal pans ahead of the radiators.

So, here is the best part: My buddy had a deposit on the car, however, not way was he going to go forward with the agreed price. The sales manager was supposed to contact him on Monday and then we find out they sold the car to someone else.

I advised my friend to walk but given the appropriate number, he may have purchased the car and done the work to make it right. Apparently these guys don't believe in first right of refusal. And, I suspect they had another buyer and wasted our time and my friends money.

In summary, for those that find this thread in the future - this is not a true 5820 mile car.

RAC states the car was not driven since 99 due to a 99 inspection sticker on the window. Carfax shows the second owner purchased the car in 2005 - so what, he never drove it? Carfax also shows the car registered and safety inspected every year.

I sure hope the guy who bought this car did not do so sight unseen as he is in for a big suprise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Sad to report that I'm "the guy" who flew Dave in to do the PPI. I wasted a fair amount of time and money, but nothing compared to the losses I would have suffered buying the car!

On the bright side, we did get to have a steak dinner, have a few beers and hang with another F355 buddy in Texas. So all was not lost! The search continues. Any members can feel free to PM me leads for nice gated 355's. 1995 preferred, but all years considered!!
post #3 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I'm surprised you guys didn't catch an earlier flight home or hit a bar 5 minutes into looking at the car. Sometimes you just know a car is a piece of sh** and it sounds like this one was clearly that.

post #4 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobble View Post
I'm surprised you guys didn't catch an earlier flight home or hit a bar 5 minutes into looking at the car. Sometimes you just know a car is a piece of sh** and it sounds like this one was clearly that.

I actually was only 1/3 thru the PPI. I made a embarrassing mistake doing the compression test - I was using my hose from the leak down tester and it does not have the check valve that the compression hose has. I thought my gauge was damaged in transit so we ran out and bought another compression tester since none of the 6 techs could loan us one....That cost us an hour.

At that point, I think we were both fed up and Rob knew these guys were not likely to adjust the price to the real worth and he decided drinking beer sooner would be better than later...

PS, meeting Rob and his buddy Clay in person was well worth the trip. It was great to hand out with those guys - we had a blast.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 10:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
Nothing ventured nothing gained. I have had my share of those trips. Sucks when you try and be honest about buying the car, express your knowledge, and they still try and hide problems. Surely, they aren't that dumb.

I have found the more CAPS and !!!! in an ad, the more BS you get.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emac View Post
Nothing ventured nothing gained. I have had my share of those trips. Sucks when you try and be honest about buying the car, express your knowledge, and they still try and hide problems. Surely, they aren't that dumb.

I have found the more CAPS and !!!! in an ad, the more BS you get.

In hind sight, I went about this all wrong. Rob was pretty pumped on the car and I did non of the pre PPI discussions - I should have. He is certainly very capable but I should have spoken with these guys and asked for hi quality images. I think I could have vetted the car better before getting on the plane.

Know this for sure: Pictures lie. Nothing like the naked eye in person. I put too much trust into what these guys told Rob and the add. Never in my life have I experienced something so misrepresented. This is beyond pitiful for a business selling hi end cars....
post #7 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
We all would be pumped about going to look at a 5K 355. I was skeptical when I read all the stuff that was done to it with only 5K miles. Clutch? Flywheel? Seemed funny.

To make you feel better.....I found a Toyota 4runner on Craigslist that I wanted to buy for my son. Seemed like a great deal. Too good. Sent my brother in law, who lived nearby, to check it out, and put a deposit down on it. He siad it looked ok and gave him 200.00. I drove 4 hours and the car had title issues, rolled back mileage, all kinds of crazy red flags. The guy wanted to argue about the deposit. Other people showed up, I told my son that it was time to cut our losses and get out there before it got ugly. Only time my hand has ever been on a concealed weapon wondering what I was going to have to do. On the way home I googled the VIN and it had a link to where it sold at auction with slavage title, etc. I, at my age, should have known better. I just got caught up in a deal. It could have been a lot worse and my son learned a valuable lesson. So did I...... "Don't fool with a fool".
post #8 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Sorry you guys had to go through all that.

I hope the new owner knew what he is getting into.

Rob,
Do you happen to like red or yellow 95 GTBs?

post #9 of 28 Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I have a strange feeling that one that bought did so sight unseen and that:

A) This is going to get real ugly

B) The car will be listed again soon as the deal my fall through...
post #10 of 28 Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM

I like 'em all Dreamer!! I just require a gated berlinetta. '95 would be preferred, but not mandatory.

Nicer car the better - I believe in the pay up front rule! Red would not be my top choice as I already have 2 red Ferraris and I'm about to buy a third. It gets too complicated on date night when my wife asks which car are we taking and I tell her "the red one!"

Thank god my GT3 is blue!!!
post #11 of 28 Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfturbo View Post
I like 'em all Dreamer!! I just require a gated berlinetta. '95 would be preferred, but not mandatory.

Nicer car the better - I believe in the pay up front rule! Red would not be my top choice as I already have 2 red Ferraris and I'm about to buy a third. It gets too complicated on date night when my wife asks which car are we taking and I tell her "the red one!"

Thank god my GT3 is blue!!!

See my avatar. We generally take the Ferraris out on the weekends. Wife will ask which car are we taking. She know if I say blue she has to deal with the top going down. But I can still surprise her when she come out and I have the Boxster out of the garage. Yes, it's blue too. Probably should have gone with the Verde Silverstone 355.

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
85 308 GTB QV red/tan (original owner)
95 F355 Spider SwatersBlu/tan
post #12 of 28 Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
RAC Performance

RAC Performance has the utmost respect for all of our current and prospective clients. We are committed to holding the highest industry standards in sales, service and performance upgrades. We welcome any inquiries pertaining to our business and are always open to suggestions. Also, please feel free to contact other members and clients about our reputation in the community. We can also be reached directly through our website and contact information listed below.

Respectfully,

RAC Performance Management
Used Cars Carrollton | Used Car Dealer Carrollton | RAC Performance
214-269-1570
post #13 of 28 Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
The information is this thread is true and accurate, the condition of the car and experience of the shop.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Well Dave, in thier post they have not refuted anything you claimed.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-05-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Well Dave, in thier post they have not refuted anything you claimed.

Well, that is true.

However:

"RAC Performance has the utmost respect for all of our current and prospective clients."

If this was true, they would be reimbursing Rob for the out of pocket expense of us going to do a PPI on a car that was grossly misrepresented. Aside from the sale add, Rob has many emails asking detailed questions where he was promised the condition was excellent. This is NOT a situation of difference in standards, it's 100% misrepresentation - the worst I've ever experienced in my life.
post #16 of 28 Old 06-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Yes indeed, the phone line seemed to get a little static'y when I mentioned to the sales manager how 'bout a refund for my out of pocket expenses for PPI'ing a grossly misrepresented car. Imagine that?!?!?
post #17 of 28 Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Why did they even bother to post anything without rebutting any of the comments about the car? They might as well have just posted Guilty as Charged.
post #18 of 28 Old 06-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobble View Post
Why did they even bother to post anything without rebutting any of the comments about the car? They might as well have just posted Guilty as Charged.
Yup.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #19 of 28 Old 06-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC Performance View Post
RAC Performance has the utmost respect for all of our current and prospective clients. We are committed to holding the highest industry standards in sales, service and performance upgrades. We welcome any inquiries pertaining to our business and are always open to suggestions. Also, please feel free to contact other members and clients about our reputation in the community. We can also be reached directly through our website and contact information listed below.

Respectfully,

RAC Performance Management
Used Cars Carrollton | Used Car Dealer Carrollton | RAC Performance
214-269-1570

Below is from your website - welcome to Ferrari Life

We hand pick only the finest automobiles to sell and every vehicle gets a rigorous internal inspection by our certified technicians. At our 9000 square foot state of the art facility, RAC Performance offers service on Porsche, RUF, Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini models. We offer dealership quality service and repairs at competitive prices and only sell the finest vehicles! - See more at: 2015 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR | Carrollton, TX | RAC Performance

Last edited by champagne612; 06-06-2015 at 08:08 AM.
post #20 of 28 Old 06-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Just Yikes !!!! Farm fresh LOL
My Daddy told me I was the best kisser in the 3rd grade hehehehhehe

I think Bruce, Plugzit just refurbished a B and it will be at a great price, Car runs strong
Not a perfect car but a hell of a driver. Black with dark tan interior

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode