F355 My Ricambi header experience ...feel free to opine - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 156
My Ricambi header experience ...feel free to opine

read this knowing I have had my exhaust apart before with not a single issue or problem putting it back together

So, I installed the headers from Ricambi. My first impression was they seemed to lack attention to details but I shrugged it off, I mean they weren't building a watch. Bolting the headers to the head went smooth. I took my time alternating top to bottom inside to out as I tightened the bolts to prevent warping. simple enough. Then I went to install the S pipe.(had removed it to have a shop remove the secondary cats but they didnt pick them up because they were busy and I needed it done asap) I went to install the S pipe but it wasnt fitting correctly...my first warning was It wouldnt match up to the headers. I was thinking ok..new headers maybe I need to tighten it down and pull the headers in together a little. I went home thinking I have a couple hours of work left I can knock this out tomorrow.
Next day was frustrating spent the whole day trying to get this exhaust lined up... I was thinking its like one header is shorter than the other but that cant be possible they build these on a jig. I started loose and from headers back to exhaust and from exhaust back to headers (this is a straight forward job mind you) I could get the tubi on one cat but it would pop off when I tried to get it on the other side it would pop off I moved the cats around did everything I could think of. finally I gave up and called my friend that owns a shop and does this for a living. I didnt tell him my theory on what was wrong. I said I have been struggling with this where am I going wrong?

he loosens everything goes at it for an hour lining it up and says one of your headers is longer than the other. He says maybe one is long or one is short or both are off (meaning one can be OEM length and the other shorter or longer or they both can be off). he worked with me and another guy from his shop for two hours and finally we get it all together and clamped down. I mean we had to squeeze from everywhere even slightly turning the cats to get an extra 1/8 inch. The thing is we have the tips centered but the passengers side tips stick out about 1/2 farther than the drivers side..next chapter

I call Ricambi explain the problem..we go around and around..did you put the doughnut gaskets in? yes back and forth ..then it goes to its only a half inc its not a big deal one tip sticks out farther than the other by a half inch...if its three inches thats different...Guy insists its not the headers...I said how do you know you havent seen it? The guy says i am looking at the diagram and you can adjust the s pipe at the header coupler I'm thinking this is crazy..you can adjust the length at the coupler for the S pipe? He says yes.. I said can you do that where the cat bolts to the header? he says no...I said there is no way to lengthen the exhaust at the point where the S pipe connects to the header...and if there was you would have to adjust the length where the cat bolts to the header. Finally i said if I take this to two different shops video them measuring it and the headers are two different lengths can i return them.....no... they are in the car with no leaks?...I said I understand but this system has a lot of pressure on it from every angle...response its working with no leaks correct? yes but its not correct ..its working correct? I said is there anyway I can return these...no why not? there your headers off your car...pretty much I'm stuck with this poorly fabricated pos...The story has a few more details but you get the jest...BTW I recorded the call which is legal in Michigan so if another story than this pops up let me know i can prove my side of the conversation...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Randy,

I am not a fan of the path you took. The photos you posted on Fchat were evidence of why I won't go with rebuilds from anyone. Very poor quality IMO.

I'm suprised to hear that Daniel is not standing behind this sale and doing what's right to make you satisfied.

I have had plenty of very good experiences dealing with Daniel. In many ways I think Ricambi provides impeccable service. The only exception I've experienced is what I would classify as selective response to situation where the answer is perhaps less than favorable.

I believe relationships are built on trust, open communication and follow thru. Much of that Ricambi has down perfectly but some lacking IMO.

Representing a fabricator as Ricambi is doing here is no simple task. If it was me, I would have selected a contractor that would without question build a quality product or I would never represent them. Clearly the photos and information you posted don't support that so I struggle to understand why Ricambi would partner with this supplier and why they would not stand behind the work.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-21-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Randy,

I am not a fan of the path you took. The photos you posted on Fchat were evidence of why I won't go with rebuilds from anyone. Very poor quality IMO.

I'm suprised to hear that Daniel is not standing behind this sale and doing what's right to make you satisfied.

I have had plenty of very good experiences dealing with Daniel. In many ways I think Ricambi provides impeccable service. The only exception I've experienced is what I would classify as selective response to situation where the answer is perhaps less than favorable.

I believe relationships are built on trust, open communication and follow thru. Much of that Ricambi has down perfectly but some lacking IMO.

Representing a fabricator as Ricambi is doing here is no simple task. If it was me, I would have selected a contractor that would without question build a quality product or I would never represent them. Clearly the photos and information you posted don't support that so I struggle to understand why Ricambi would partner with this supplier and why they would not stand behind the work.
I agree Dave, on every other transaction it has been A+ My guess is they dont have a lot of leverage on this....The headers went from my house to england then back to my house. Ricambi paid them but have no way to recoup...so were both screwed

post #4 of 4 Old 05-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootfighter65 View Post
I agree Dave, on every other transaction it has been A+ My guess is they dont have a lot of leverage on this....The headers went from my house to england then back to my house. Ricambi paid them but have no way to recoup...so were both screwed
I understand the situation here and IMO it is up to Recambi to make it right. Im sure Daniel will do something. I like Dave would never do this and this is why I paid for Tubi headers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode