Any info of the F355 Challenge ? - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
the fxx

well, what do you see as a racecar? Almost every ferrari is built for streetuse, so it can not be a real racecar. maybe the 288 GTO/F40/F50/Enzo cars, but still, they are designed for roaduse. the GT/group N 360/575 are real racecars I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob
the fxx

well, what do you see as a racecar? Almost every ferrari is built for streetuse, so it can not be a real racecar. maybe the 288 GTO/F40/F50/Enzo cars, but still, they are designed for roaduse. the GT/group N 360/575 are real racecars I think.
FXX is awesome, I love that too...

I don't understand. The Challenge is a track use car, but it is not a race car? What're the differences? Track car and Race car?
post #23 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 09:10 AM

I think a racecar is a car specially designed for racing. The 355 challenge is basically just a 355 berlinetta with some adjustments.

post #24 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 09:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Quote:
the fxx

I have driven the F40, Enzo, and all of the challenge cars. None of those I would consider to be a real race car, although the F40 is closest. And no converted street car is a real race car. All you have to do is drive in a true race car and a Challenge car and you will know exactly what I mean.

I would consider the GTC/NGT 550, 575, and 360 as real race cars, though. They're purpose built. By the time they're done, they have no street parts left on them. Almost the whole car is remade using custom made parts for racing only. Of those, only the 360 is built under Ferrari's guidance at Michelotto. And other than that, the only race cars that Ferrari builds are the F1 cars. So there's your answer FerrariLuk.

Just the facts...
post #25 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I think a racecar is a car specially designed for racing. The 355 challenge is basically just a 355 berlinetta with some adjustments.
I agree 100%

Just the facts...
post #26 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Jones
Quote:
the fxx

I have driven the F40, Enzo, and all of the challenge cars. None of those I would consider to be a real race car, although the F40 is closest. And no converted street car is a real race car. All you have to do is drive in a true race car and a Challenge car and you will know exactly what I mean.

I would consider the GTC/NGT 550, 575, and 360 as real race cars, though. They're purpose built. By the time they're done, they have no street parts left on them. Almost the whole car is remade using custom made parts for racing only. Of those, only the 360 is built under Ferrari's guidance at Michelotto. And other than that, the only race cars that Ferrari builds are the F1 cars. So there's your answer FerrariLuk.
Wow , you have driven F40, Enzo, Challenge cars... you are so lucky man. Thx and why only the 360 race car is built under Ferrari's guidance?
post #27 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariluk

Wow , you have driven F40, Enzo, Challenge cars... you are so lucky man. Thx and why only the 360 race car is built under Ferrari's guidance?
Yes, very lucky. Even more lucky to own a Ferrari, in my book.

The 360GT is campaigned not by the Ferrari factory but by one of Ferrari's best dealers. As such, Micheloto, who built all of Ferrari's recent sports car racers, built the cars for them with a little input form Ferrari. It's not exactly a "factory" racecar but it's just about as close as you can get. Prodrive built the 550's.

Just the facts...
post #28 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 02:22 PM

the 575 is factory built as well isn't it?
post #29 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Actually, yes. I forgot that the 575 was a factory backed effort. Interestingly enough, Prodrive switched to AM as soon as Ferrari was willing ot get behind them.

Just the facts...
post #30 of 37 Old 12-24-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, yes. I forgot that the 575 was a factory backed effort. Interestingly enough, Prodrive switched to AM as soon as Ferrari was willing ot get behind them.
What is AM?
post #31 of 37 Old 12-25-2005, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariluk
Quote:
Quote:
What is AM?
Aston Martin

Just the facts...
post #32 of 37 Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
can anyone tell me what colour the 355ch wheels came in? i was always under the impression just white (and later painted to whatever, obviously) but i've recently been told black as well.
post #33 of 37 Old 12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariluk View Post
---Can anyone tell me what's the different between the F355 and the Challenge? ---

The Challenge car was Ferrari's first attempt to use a "production" version vehicle for racing.

It is primarily a Stradale. Thus it has no smog, etc, and was meant for racing.

It could be made street legal but not practical to do so. One here was sold by F of SF about two + years ago, it "passed" smog, but when the owner had to resmog it no pass.

Problem was there was no smog equipment! So apparently it was a switch car for test purposes!

It cost that buyer a ton (and I mean a ton) of cash to make it pass smog. Not worth it in my book!

Not many made and I don't have any links. I'll see if mentioned in any of my Ferrari books and will advise.
post #34 of 37 Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Owner

I looked through a few of my books and cannot find anything on the 355 Challenge car.

I will keep looking though.
post #35 of 37 Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
The Challenge car was Ferrari's first attempt to use a "production" version vehicle for racing.

It is primarily a Stradale. Thus it has no smog, etc, and was meant for racing.

It could be made street legal but not practical to do so. One here was sold by F of SF about two + years ago, it "passed" smog, but when the owner had to resmog it no pass.

Problem was there was no smog equipment! So apparently it was a switch car for test purposes!

It cost that buyer a ton (and I mean a ton) of cash to make it pass smog. Not worth it in my book!

Not many made and I don't have any links. I'll see if mentioned in any of my Ferrari books and will advise.
you DO realise you're responding to a post from 2005, right?
post #36 of 37 Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircon View Post
you DO realise you're responding to a post from 2005, right?
Is that a problem?
post #37 of 37 Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Is that a problem?
certainly not

apart from this perhaps

ferrariluk
Last Activity: 02-23-2007 10:47 PM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version