Hot re-start problem Ferrari 348 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Hot re-start problem Ferrari 348

Can anyone please help me with a couple of problems on my '89 348TS. First problem occurs when trying to re-strart the car after being driven upto temperature, switched off and trying to re-start. It turns over stops struggles to start and then starts. It only happens after being driven, not if i warm the car on the drive, turn it off and re-start.
Also temperature gauge not working any ideas on both problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Gary,

You should become a member and support the Forum, this would enable you you have Ferrari freaks help you out as well as information like this on your 348 in the member section..... :green:

The three seals between the output shafts going to the clutch pack and flywheel. These wear and gear oil infiltrates the flywheel. Causing rattling of the internal parts in the flywheel and a problem starting the car when it is hot

The temp gauge is 3 things...sensor, broken wire or need a new gauge.
8)

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2005, 11:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
The hot start issue *may* be caused by the ecu's going bad. Worth examining.

Just the facts...

post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
Re: Hot re-start problem Ferrari 348

Gary,

The 3x8, Testarossa, and others can have this problem. There is a valve before or after the fuel filter that prevents the gas draining back. i think it is called the banjo valve or some such. The part is about $15 or so from Ferrari UK.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Hmmm......if I understand you correctly...when warmed up after driving and then shut down, on the restart the starter momentarily engages and cranks, then stops, then starts again and then the motor fires up? This would indicate three possibilities. One....verify that all battery cable connections are clean, dry, and tight, and that the battery is good and the charging system is working properly, hopefully this solves the problem. Two...the starter solenoid has high resistance when hot and needs replaced. And Three....the starter is suffering from "heat soak" and needs an overhaul or replaced. My bet is it's number one or two. You can get solenoids through the aftermarket and dont need to go to the dealer for it. As "enjoythemusic" says 308s and TRs did suffer the same thing and it is almost always the solenoid. So check that out and keep us posted.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode