308 weird noise on hard right turn - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-13-2005, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
308 weird noise on hard right turn

Buongiorno all,
308 QV Euro with TR 390 wheels and tires, 27000 miles.
I get a strange rubbing noise, intermittent "shlunk shlunk" kind of thing when accellerating around hard rights like freeway on ramps. It seems to be coming from right rear wheel well. I pulled both rear wheels and found no evidence of rubbing or anything loose, and the inner wheel wells are secured with all bolts.
Does anyone have a clue or experience with same?
Pete? Anyone?
Looking forward to comments.
Ciao,
Luigi

1985 308 GTS QV EURO #59149
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2005, 02:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
Re: 308 weird noise on hard right turn

Could be shock going bad?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Shock going bad, elaborate

enjoythemusic,
What do you mean "going bad"? 27,000 miles, 20 years. Is it re-build time or what. Elaborate please.
not enjoying the music from my right rear Koni.
Ciao,
LUIGI

post #4 of 9 Old 11-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Hard to give much advise as it could be coming from a number of things. To help narrow it down, I would suggest putting several large chalk marks on the inside of the wheel well. Take the car out and do a few hard right hand turns. If the wheel is rubbing in the well it will take the chalk off. At least this will help narrow down the possible causes.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
You might check your brakes. Sometimes they can make really funny noises in weird circumstances.

My rotors were going bad once and they only showed signs on braking while turning. But it was more of a grinding shriek.

:roll:
post #6 of 9 Old 11-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Also verify that there is no "slop" in the wheel bearings. With the car jacked up, grab the suspect wheel/tire at the top and bottom and try and to wiggle it back and forth, pull towards you at the top while pushing away from you at the bottom and visa versa. There shouldn't be any (or very slight) movement. If there is then the bearings need inspected to see what's going on....they may need replaced.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 06:06 AM

Re: Shock going bad, elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouGaudio
enjoythemusic,
What do you mean "going bad"? 27,000 miles, 20 years. Is it re-build time or what. Elaborate please.
Agree with others, could be a number of things. And yes, those shocks are OLD (age). Have a proper mechanic check out your car. As for the shocks, i THINK Koni has a lifetime guarantee so rebuild is free. If it is not free, just throw them out and buy new ones. Personally, i think the old Koni are lackluster. If you truly care about the car and performance, do as many of us have done and upgrade all your shocks and springs to:

http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/for...bsite1_028.htm

pic at http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/for...ite1005003.jpg

The 308 is an old car, and Ferrari setup the suspension for a nice comfy ride with lots of understeer.

Stock, with hard braking, the front nose dives faster than 747 without power. Stock setup is a lackluster 178 lbs front springs, 187 rear springs. If you want to 'wake up' the suspension and at least be near equal to a common day Subaru WRX, may as well dump those heavy Koni and springs and get modern components that are lighter and more adjustable. The above upgrades i mentioned, get 300 lbs front and 250 lbs rear springs. These are also adjustable so you CAN have a comfy boring ride, or adjust them to stiffen it for fun... or extreme stiff for track

Also, may as well check your suspension A-arm bushings and replace them (16 total i believe) with Energy Suspension 'G' units. Also check your sway bar/anti-roll bushings.

Forget staying OEM, the 80's were decades ago and time/technology has long passed them by. Ferrari parts for bushings are not that great IMHO, go Energy Suspension units.

In the end, have a mechanic check out your car and see what needs to be fixed, what should be fixed, and what might need replacing in the near future. Only you can decide if you want to properly invest in maintaining your Ferrari or just get by with the least cost and effort. Sadly, too many owners just get by with 'cheap' fixes and then sell their problems to someone else. Not referring to you, but have seen and PPI'ed many 'perfect' cars that, frankly, were serviced with minimum effort to 'just get by.' Sad but true. Makes me wonder why they even bother owning such a fine car.

My apologies, soap box off and i am sure you want to make your car the best it can be.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank You all for the input!

Buongiorno!
Thanx to all for the thoughts and ideas on this issue. I will check out the wheel bearings etc. The brakes are currently being upgraded slightly (rotors crossdrilled, porterfield street performance pads, calipers checked out, painted rosso corsa, and rebuilt if needed, stainless braided lines etc.)
I think the issue might be the shock, I'll narrow it down and post a FYI. New suspension is not out of the question, I fully intend to make this car 110%, no quik fix nonsense over here.
On the mechanic issue, not to worry. the car was just converted for California complience by G&K engineering and fully gone over mechanicaly (engine, fuel system, etc.) I have all service records from Gand Touring Classics Ferrari service and have spoken to Norbert the mechanic at length about the car. Also I am planning to have Micheal Rozenstraten @ Independent Ferrari of Costa Mesa go over the car for a second opinion and such.
Thank you all, again. Enjoy the weekend!!
Ciao,
Luigi :lol:

post #9 of 9 Old 11-20-2005, 05:02 AM

Re: Thank You all for the input!

Luigi,

That is great news! Oh, by the way DO NOT cross drill the rotors. It is BAD news, trust me here. Get new slotted rotors or stay solid. Drilled rotors play 'connect the dots' virtually ALWAYS for those who use the car as Enzo and G-d intended. If you want to really do it right, get aluminum hat floating SLOTTED rotors from Girodisc at http://www.girodisc.com/

Losing unsprung weight makes life more fun

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode