What services do you perform Yourself on your 308/328? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-06-2005, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
What services do you perform Yourself on your 308/328?

Good Morning,
I would like to know;
What services do you perform Yourself on your 308/328?

I am doing my research for my first Ferrari 328 acqusition. That will occur by late winter, early spring. I appreciate your input and your assistance. I'm noting my questions and your responses. My intention is, in the future, to post a thread that will be a compilation my questions and your input. Thank in Advance! John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hey John,
The only work I've had the shop do on my Ferrari is balance the tires and a front end alignment. Only because I don't have the machines to do it. I also had the carbs sync'ed by someone else. I was going to do this myself, the tools, even the CO meter, can be had reasonably. However, I knew this guy was a whiz with multiple carbs.

I try and do everything to my car. From routine maintenance to general and advanced repairs. I even swapped the car over from points to electronic ignition with some guidance from one of the members on this site. This involved removing, dissassembling and reinstalling both distributors (and rewiring them). I wouldn't tackle that job if you didn't have the confidence you could follow through with it, but if you are handy with a wrench I'm sure you could tackle most of the maintenance and general repairs yourself.

My car is due for new belts in 2 years and I plan on doing that myself. I may throw the engine in the back of the truck and go to my mechanic for assistance in adjusting the valve lash, haven't decided yet. But I'll pull the engine. I plan on doing a lot of cleaning and painting while the engine is out.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 3 Old 11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
My car is due for new belts in 2 years and I plan on doing that myself. I may throw the engine in the back of the truck and go to my mechanic for assistance in adjusting the valve lash, haven't decided yet. But I'll pull the engine. I plan on doing a lot of cleaning and painting while the engine is out.
Man I wish we were neighbors, I love to remove and wrench on engines. Then cleaning, painting and detailing the engine compartment ready for a fresh engine. Once the engine comes back from the shop, clean, paint if needed, buff, chrome the hoses, color coordinate all the vacuum hoses. Replace all wires, color code them as well. Man I’m getting excited and its not even my car !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode