Saw a pristine 1988 328 GTB today in NJ - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-05-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Saw a pristine 1988 328 GTB today in NJ

Hello,
Today I took a ride to Ferrari in New jersey on Rt 1. They had a silver metallic 88 328 GTB. Wow this vehicle was in really really great shape. 22000 miles and 30k service done.
I checked the door handle wells, door edges (some nicks, very few & low down), front bumper (very few, very small, re-touched nicks). Unfortunately, did see the inside with door open, car was on consignment.
Overall this Ferrari was in incredible condition. Had to share. Maybe it might help someone out.
I'm going to be searching seriously for a 328 GTS in red/tan by year end. I had to check this out and see just what is the condition like on a Ferrari from the late 80's. Beautiful. John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
The only real problem with that car is that it's a pre 76626 328. IMO, the GTB is way, way better than a GTS but to each his own. However, having a car after s/n 76626 means that you would get the better supension, small interior updates, and a slew of other small changes. A GTB is rare enough that you probably have to take the best car possible and hope that you luck out with a post 76626 car. If you're looking for a GTS, however, which are not rare, then I think that you should really find one after that.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Jones
The only real problem with that car is that it's a pre 76626 328. IMO, the GTB is way, way better than a GTS but to each his own. However, having a car after s/n 76626 means that you would get the better supension, small interior updates, and a slew of other small changes. A GTB is rare enough that you probably have to take the best car possible and hope that you luck out with a post 76626 car. If you're looking for a GTS, however, which are not rare, then I think that you should really find one after that.
Are the changes you are referring to after S/N 76626 the same as the 88.5? I guess a better way of saying it would be: Was 76627 the start of the 88.5?

post #4 of 7 Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm,
I didnt know that about the Numbers. Were do you go to learn about the serial numbers and stuff?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-09-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Jones
Are the changes you are referring to after S/N 76626 the same as the 88.5? I guess a better way of saying it would be: Was 76627 the start of the 88.5?
Yes, these are what are commonly referred to as the changes that mark the 1988.5 328 models, which are every bit as desirable as the 1989 cars. There are many other changes that happened throughout the model line but the suspension and wheel changes were most significant.

To specifically answer your question: 76626 is the first GTB to have the changes. 76627 was the GTS car to have the changes. 76679 was the first Turbo GTB to have the changes, and 76939 was the first Turbo GTS to have the changes.

To answer the original poster's question: I know this because I keep a catalog of all the changes introduced and each serial number at which they each occurred. Why? I like to buy Ferraris that I will keep forever and I want to make the most informed purchases possible. If you're going to own a keeper, you have to first buy a keeper. It's an obvious thing but you would be surprised at how many people pay top dollar to buy a less desirable iteration of a certain model, only to learn more about the cars later and realize they made a poor purchasing decision.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

This catalog you keep is one you have compiled yourself ?

My feelings exactly, this is why I'm learning/educating myself, so that I make an intelligent decision. To make the most of my intentions.
I gotta say however, excitment certainly gets in the way at times.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Yes. I compiled it myself from Ferrari documents. I have a very good relationship with a couple of people who could get me those documents. My 328 file is over 600 pages but the important parts regarding serial nuumbers and changes are probably a bit under 200 of those.

Just the facts...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode