308 overheating - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 103
308 overheating

Is overheating a common occurence with the 308?

There is vapor and a bit of cooling fluid coming out of the overflow tube.

Is there anything I shoud check first, before taking it to the mechanic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Replace the cap on the overflow canister. It's a pressure regulating cap and it's bad. Also, the overflow can should only be about half full when cold. If it is overfull it will spit out the excess.

If the temp gauge is not going over 200°, you have no problem other than the cap and no reason to take it to a mechanic. Common problem.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Old 11-01-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

thank you, I'll try that!

Old 11-02-2005, 01:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
May i suggest you 'burp' the system.

What you do is warm the engine just a bit with the cabin heater levels to heat. This opens the heater cores.

Then under the front bonnet loosen the top passenger side brass thumbscrew on the top/side of the radiator until it begins the dribble antifreeze. Usually this needs to be done every few months or so to ensure you have no air in your system.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I'll do the cap replacement, I'll do the "burp", and I think I might as well purge the system and replace the coolant while I'm at it.

Thank you for your advices and prompt response.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

308 over haeting part II...

Forgive me for I am no mechanic, I am a beginner and I am full of questions...

I changed the expansion tank cap and I burped the system.

It still over heats!

And now, I have fluid leaking from the "burping" screw on top of the radiator. What did I do wrong? Is it wise to use teflon tape around the screw to stop the leak?

The radiator fan does not turn on, I checked the fuse and it's OK; what else should I look at?

Is it normal that although the car heats up and the expansion tank is scorching hot, the radiator seems cool? If not, could that explain why the fan does not turn on? And if so, where should I look to fix that?

Again, thank you for enlighting an uneducated fool!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

It's hard for us to trouble shoot your car over the internet so do be patient.

Don't worry about the radiator bleeder screw yet, I wouldn't use teflon tape on it, it has a small fiber washer you can replace. No biggie.

Since the radiator remains cool while everything in the back is heating up, the coolant is not circulating. The water pump could be airlocked. There is one more place you can bleed the cooling system on the engine. It's hard to see but you can get to it. On the passenger side of the engine, where the air filter "horn" is, look underneath that and you'll see the thermostat housing. It is held on by 3 bolts but you can only see 2 of them, you will see a short piece of large hose connecting it to an aluminum pipe. On top of the thermostat is a brass bolt, this is the bleeder screw. Loosen that to relieve the air in the engine. Hopefully that will do it. The waterpump is directly beneath the thermostat housing. Make sure the belt is tight (and there). If this doesn't help you may be looking at some water pump issues.

Stand by and I'll go out and take a few pictures to help you locate this.

Capt. Pete
Old 11-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Another thought, if bleeding this doesn't work, it could be that the thermostat is stuck closed. I'd try replacing that before looking at any water pump issues.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
Old 11-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Just realized that your's is an '85 so this stuff is probably easier to get to than on my '79. The airbox is different but the thermostat housing should be the same. Good luck!

Capt. Pete
Old 11-03-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you.

I realize more and more that I did not buy a car...

...I bought a brand new hobby! :wink:
Old 11-03-2005, 03:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
Another thought, if bleeding this doesn't work, it could be that the thermostat is stuck closed. I'd try replacing that before looking at any water pump issues.

I was going to say ... if the coolant isnt circulating it could be as simple as a stuck thermostat. Thats a super easy fix.

Funny story ... once I was having overheating issues on my chevelle, the idiot light on the dash kept coming on. I replcaed the 30 year old crappy 2 core radiator with a heavy duty 3 core, that didnt work. Then I attacked the thermostat. $4 purchase ... took off the housing, took out the thermostat, replaced the gasket, put the housing back on and replaced the coolant. I looked down and there are two thermostats resting on the radiator ... shit, I didnt put the new thermostat in the housing! Oh well, I got it in there and the "HOT" idiot light is still coming on! After all I went through it was the frickin sensor in the block. We live we learn!! This time I learned I need a temp gague!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptiflipiou
Thank you.

I realize more and more that I did not buy a car...

...I bought a brand new hobby! :wink:
Yes you did. But you know what, you admired the 308 just from a TV show (just like me). Now you are totally psyched 'cause you finally got one. Well you are now going to find out that it is really and truly a driver's car and not a movie star's car. The thing is basically a freakin' street legal racing car and it is highly tuned and designed to run at very high RPMs. The parts require closer tolerances and adjustments.

A 20 year old car with a 3.0 liter engine putting out 250 horses! Pretty high tech for '85. It took Chevy almost twice the displacement to make that much power and the cars where so much bigger and heavier that they don't have the handling of the 308. That "Go-cart" handling.

But don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and dive into the simpler tasks on the car. You have a much more intimate relationship with the car when you've both leaked vital fluids at the same time. You'll learn more about the car, build some confidence in both yourself and the car, and just kind of be more "in-tune" with the car.

Since you are a "newbie", I must ask, do you know the proper way to check the oil?

Capt. Pete
Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I read somewhere to heat up the engine, then let it rest for about 10 min., clean the stick, dip it again and check the reading (should be between min. and max.)
Old 11-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I read somewhere to heat up the engine, then let it rest for about 10 min., clean the stick, dip it again and check the reading (should be between min. and max.)
Yeah, check it hot, shut it off and wait just a few minutes. The filter may drain back into the engine giving you a false reading when cold.

You passed, no longer a newbie. You have some 308 knowledge. :green: :green: :green:

Capt. Pete
Old 11-04-2005, 07:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
Re: 308 over haeting part II...

Quote:
...Again, thank you for enlighting an uneducated fool!
Just in case you were not provided the Official Six Laws of Italian Sports Cars, the below will greatly aid you in understanding your Italian car:

As the owner of an Italian vehicle, you have undoubtedly found that, from time to time, the thing defies all known laws of Physics. Distinguished researchers from all over the world have spent entire lives trying to understand such phenomena. Recently, the Six Laws of Italian Sports Cars were discovered, thus reducing most owners' dependency on sorcerers and prayer, to keep such cars running.

Careless application of these laws to any individual auto may fix the problems of the moment, but cause hives or allergies in said owners.

1) THE LAW OF PLEASING DESIGN WHERE IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER

"The inside of cam covers or other relatively innocuous areas, shall be laced with buttresses, cross-bracing and all manner of esoteric stiffness-with-lightness design, while something like connecting rods shall self-destruct at redline plus 1.0 rpm due to a basic lack of strength."

An example of this Law is the stunningly beautiful Lamborghini or Ferrari V-12's of the late '60's. They were famous for wearing out all four camshafts in 10,000 miles or less. The cam's metal appeared to be recycled coat hangers, which coincidentally are still in short supply in Italy.

2) THE LAW OF NON-FUNCTIONAL APPARATUS

"All Italian Sports Cars, regardless of age, shall have at least one system or component which does not work, and cannot be repaired. Such a part shall never be mentioned in the Official Shop Manual, although there may be an out-of-focus picture shown."

It goes without saying that such parts should never under any circumstances be removed, lest the natural balance of the car be upset.

3)THE LAW OF ELECTRICAL CHAOS

"All Italian Sports Cars shall be wired at the Factory by a cross-eyed, color-blind worker, using whatever supplies are within reach. All wires shall change color-code at least once between energy source and component. all grounds shall be partially insulated."

This tends to guarantee that the owner of such vehicles will eventually be intimately familiar with its electrical system, since he will need to trace out each wire, then rewrite his Official Schematic, which will differ from all others in at least one area.

4)THE LAW OF PERSONAL ABUSE

"The more an Italian auto breaks down, the more endearing it becomes to its increasingly irrational owner."

For example, you purchase an Italian Sports car, for all the money you ever hoped to earn, and receive a ticket for air pollution on the way home from the dealer due to the vast clouds of smoke that follow you. Several return trips to said dealer, accompanied by your rapidly dwindling cash reserves, cures the smoking. But now, the engine sounds like a food processor full of ball-bearings. After replacing every component in the car, including the radio speakers, the noise vanishes and is replaced by an odor reminiscent of a major fire in a goat-hair mattress factory. You still keep trying, God help you.

5)THE LAW OF UNAVAILABLE PARTS

"All parts of an Italian sports car shall be made of a material that is available in inverse proportion to its operating half-life."

Thus, the speedometer hold-down screws are made of grade 8 cold rolled steel, while the valves are of fabricated Unobtanium, made only at midnight by an old man with a pointy hat covered with moons and stars. Such parts will be backordered during the design phase of the car, and will remain so forever. Bribes, pleading and threats will be ignored.

6)THE LAW OF CRYPTIC INSTRUCTIONS

"Any official publications dealing with repair, maintenance or operations of an Italian sports car, shall be written such that every fourth word is incomprehensible to the average American. In the event that a random sentence is understandable, its information shall be wrong."

This is also known as flat-tire English, where a sentence flows along nicely, then-Kaboom!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
AAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cant wait to own one!!!! :green:
Old 11-04-2005, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

It's just like having a wife!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Re: 308 over haeting part II...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Just in case you were not provided the Official Six Laws of Italian Sports Cars, the below will greatly aid you in understanding your Italian car:
I haven't laughed this hard in a long time......my jaw hurts....

Thanks enjoythemusic !

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari