F355 Hill Engineering Tools / Ricambi - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Hill Engineering Tools / Ricambi

Just received a box full of specialty 355 Tools made by Hill to go along with a few others I already had.

Looks like nice stuff (as my other Hill Tools are)

Thanks to Paul Hill for ansering a few of my questions and Daniel for providing great service as always.

But, I had to buy a Moroso degree wheel - Daniel, get Hill to add this to their new product list
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 03:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 156
I love it when I get new toys
post #3 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Cool deal, never enough tools

Should have asked I have an even dozen degree wheels, dog uses them as frisbies, Keeps her teeth sharp

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider

post #4 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
How about David Feinberg's water pump tool, also sold by Ricambi? All kinds of good stuff out there.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
How about David Feinberg's water pump tool, also sold by Ricambi? All kinds of good stuff out there.
I'll have a look.

PS, for anyone purchasing a Moroso degree wheel, their website states nothing about spacers being included but I saw that within someone's comments in a review but still did not know what hole size. The 355 crank bolt is M18 thread (per the WSM - I hope that is correct). So, I had to bore out one of the spacers for that diameter (.708")

Also, I will need to make up a pointer as it does not come with one (easy to do)
post #6 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 05:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
I'll have a look.

PS, for anyone purchasing a Moroso degree wheel, their website states nothing about spacers being included but I saw that within someone's comments in a review but still did not know what hole size. The 355 crank bolt is M18 thread (per the WSM - I hope that is correct). So, I had to bore out one of the spacers for that diameter (.708")

Also, I will need to make up a pointer as it does not come with one (easy to do)
Dave, also get yourself some big*ss fender washers and lockwashers to grip the Moroso & clamp it in place when you put your crank bolt & spacer(s) back in. Otherwise it'll be too easy for it to turn independently of the crankshaft.

I sourced mine from McMaster's.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #7 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Dave, also get yourself some big*ss fender washers and lockwashers to grip the Moroso & clamp it in place when you put your crank bolt & spacer(s) back in. Otherwise it'll be too easy for it to turn independently of the crankshaft.

I sourced mine from McMaster's.
Thanks John. I probably have some in my shop. I appreciate the good tip.

PS, I noticed the CAM's don't have any wrench flats but I do see a hex in the back (one looks compromised )

I must assume that the internal hex in the end is how you hold the CAM's when loosening / tightening the sprocket bolts?

What about holding the crank when tightening that bolt? I've been told to block the starting gear with a large screw driver but part of that sounds less than lovely...

Last edited by dave rocks; 02-21-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #8 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Looking at the parts diagram, I see those internal hexes are threaded plugs....

EDIT: I have a hunch that I will need to make a tool to hold the timing belt sprocket.

Last edited by dave rocks; 02-21-2015 at 06:14 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 06:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Thanks John. I probably have some in my shop. I appreciate the good tip.

PS, I noticed the CAM's don't have any wrench flats but I do see a hex in the back (one looks compromised )

I must assume that the internal hex in the end is how you hold the CAM's when loosening / tightening the sprocket bolts?
It's a pity Ferrari didn't put external hexes on their cams, as most DOHC engine manufacturers do. Most people hold the cam sprockets with an old belt and a pair of vice grips. Some have made wedges that go between the sprockets and keep them from turning. The "other" site is full of ideas and photos for these.

Quote:
What about holding the crank when tightening that bolt? I've been told to block the starting gear with a large screw driver but part of that sounds less than lovely...
Hill makes a proper tool for this, and IIRC it's around $200? I believe it works for several Ferrari models.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #10 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
It's a pity Ferrari didn't put external hexes on their cams, as most DOHC engine manufacturers do. Most people hold the cam sprockets with an old belt and a pair of vice grips. Some have made wedges that go between the sprockets and keep them from turning. The "other" site is full of ideas and photos for these.

Hill makes a proper tool for this, and IIRC it's around $200? I believe it works for several Ferrari models.
If you are referring to a flywheel locking tool, according to Hill's website, they only make it for 360 and 550.

I will consider designing and building a tool to hold the timing sprockets.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode