328 Checklist - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-09-2005, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
328 Checklist

I am new to this forum but have been doing much research on the 328. I am considering a 1987 and haven't found a buyers "checklist" on what to check out on the car (other than just taking it to a Ferrari dealer for a pre-buyers inspection). However, if there is no Ferrari dealer around, is there such a document one can utilize to ensure everything that should be looked at has been? I know to get good service records and the 30K needs to be completed (unless the pricing of the car takes that into account). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
madmap, There is a 328 Buyers Guide (plus guides for all the other Modern Ferraris) in the Members Section which includes sections on Common Issues and Buying Rules. I think it should cover most of the items you are looking for. Good Luck.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-14-2005, 05:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Hello,
I'm compiling a check list too as well. Pretty much I have been told to go over every operating thing within the Ferrari. Also, keep in running and watch it doesnt overheat, make noises, etc.
A check list is great to have pre-written so that you can check-off what you have gone over and note any issues. I should have mine written as soon as I get some time and not get distracted.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
A Ferrari is like any other car, first read the documented repairs and maintenance and compare to the manual. Then test drive a few without the radio on and listen, feel the car. Have a PPI done then decide.

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #5 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 08:01 AM

I completed my draft of a check list. If you want to see a copy let me know. If I can post it here I'll try. J.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I would appreciate seeing it. You can either cut and paste it into the reply box, or attach it as a Word document (just click on Add an Attachement).
post #7 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 01:36 PM

OK, here it is. I spent the other night looking at a pic of a 328 just to get ideas moving. My approach to the list was to make it flow, at least in my mind. I would say that it's almost complete. The point of the list other than the obvious, is to keep track what I have already examined. I would make notes next to the item.
Now, it may be over kill to have such a list but, it caused me to develop a method of examing rather than hastly looking over the vehicle in an awkward fashion. God only knows, that I'm gonna be so psyched, the potential to overlook something is prevelant.

Ferrari 328 Checklist

OUTSIDE OF VEHICLE:

❏ Check Gap Tolerances
❏ Check Front Bumper Alignment and Condition
❏ Lift Trunk and Check Seals
❏ Check Trunk Compartment
❏ Check Spare Tire and Wheel
❏ Check Radiators and Hoses and fluid
❏ Check Windshield Wipers and all Windshields
❏ Check side mirrors
❏ Turn on Headlights and check movement
❏ Check wheel wells
❏ Check tires for un-even tread wear
❏ Check Wheels
❏ Check Front Grill

MOTOR AREA:
❏ Lift Hood, check device that holds hood up
❏ Check Motor
❏ Check for Leaking/Sweating
❏ Check hoses
❏ Check Wires
❏ Check Belts
❏ Check Air Filter
❏ Start Motor - Leave car Running
❏ Listen for unusual sounds, etc
❏ Check Exhaust & Underneath

ROOF (GTS)
❏ Examine roof Before removal
❏ Remove Roof
❏ Check Seals
❏ Check Mechanism
❏ Check for Roof Cover

DOORS:
❏ Check Seals
❏ Check movement of Windows
❏ Check for Overspray
❏ Check Door Panels (wear)

INTERIOR: ( car has been running whole time)
❏ Inspect Leather Interior
❏ Seats
❏ Dash
❏ Console
❏ Lift up Mats.
Turn-On
❏ Head lights; Check Hi/Low Beam
❏ Wipers
❏ Blinkers
❏ Horn
❏ Harards
❏ A.C. (Leave on)
❏ Check Fan at every notch
❏ Check Heat (leave on)
❏ Radio
❏ Pull / Release Emergency Brake
❏ Move and Adjust both seats, Check underneath seats
❏ Check for Accelerator and Brake Wear
❏ Check Brake Lights

TEST DRIVE:
❏ Check Steering
❏ Check Clutch operation
❏ Check Shifting
❏ Check Speedo
❏ Check Tach
❏ Check Temp
❏ Check Oil Pressure
❏ Check Idle

AFTER TEST DRIVE:
❏ Re-Check Motor
post #8 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 02:56 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Good Lord. Honestly, and I really mean no disrespect, you need to get a PPI by a top mechanic. A Ferrari mechanic with 328 experience will have forgotten more about 328's than you will know and be able to recognize between now and the time you buy your car and probably ever.

Why? You go through your checklist and what does that show? Will you know if the water pump is going bad? Will you know if the injectors need replacing? Will you know if the plug extenders are going or not? What about the clutch? Shift shaft seal? Will you know where to look to see if the frame was repaired after a wreck? I won't even get into leak down, compression, etc.

There's not much that you will see in your checklist that would be cause for concern. I mean, okay, so you look in the trunk and see that carpet's not quite right in the corner. Well, it's a Ferrari. 25% come from the factory like that. Does that mean that you won't buy the car? So you go drive the car and inspect the engine again. What if you see nothing? Does that mean that the engine is good? Do you know what you're looking for? what are you looking for on the oil pressure gauge? Lots of times, these are way off even in spectacular cars that are real winners.

If the car is ratty, you'll see right away and walk away. If it's a stunner, you'll see that right away, too. What you'll never see is the really important stuff. You need a PPI and expect to pay 5 hours worth of labor on that on a 328.

The point is that your checklist is nothing more than a cursory glance at best. If the car looks good to you and fits within your criteria, just send it off to a trusted mechanic who can tell you what's what. A good PPI will have about several pages plus 50 photos of everything that you described plus all the things that you (and I and everyone else who's not an F mechanic) knows next to nothing about.

Just the facts...
post #9 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM

I will absolutley get a PPI. This list is just for me to go over the car for myself. As far as internals for the motor, thats for the mechanic of course. Appreciate your input, Thanks.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider7467
I will absolutley get a PPI. This list is just for me to go over the car for myself. As far as internals for the motor, thats for the mechanic of course. Appreciate your input, Thanks.
Sweet. You'll do great then, no doubt.

Just the facts...
post #11 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 05:58 PM

Thanks 8)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode