F355 Major service - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Major service

So, in my 2 years of 355 ownership (I own 2), I read lots of folks bitching and moaning over the cost of major service.

As some of you know, I bought a 95 project car about 3 months back.

I work on my cars because it's a hobby and I enjoy it. Another reason is Buffalo NY does not have local resources.

However, I want to post this so the guys that never attempted this understand what is envolved:

REMOVING A 355 engine and putting it back in is A TON OF WORK!

The least expensive major (belt swap) is $5000. I promise you, I'm not going into business anytime soon doing this. It's a ton of work.

My point to this post is, if you want to work on your car as a hobby - that's cool stuff. I encourage it as you will learn so much.

But, if you send your car for service, 1) send it to someone with 355 experience, not a dude that works on Hondas. 2) if you think $5-7k is too much for a major, you really have no idea the work these guys do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 379
The other thing to mention is your ass gets sore from sitting on the cross frame so you can reach all the hose clamps etc on the firewall, needless to say that dam power steering lines. One was not too bad but the one was a huge pain in the butt. I spent about 45 min each day for 3 days cursing and swearing until i finally got it loose. Its so friggin close to the back firewall i could only turn the wrench 1 flange at a time and had to buy a wrench like a brakeline wrench so it wouldnt slip. Not looking forword to the next service just because of this. I really should have tried to bend it out a quarter of an inch. Oh well.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 101
Good thoughts Dave. I know it is not easy. But it has to be very rewarding to master. My hat is off yo you sir!

Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
So, in my 2 years of 355 ownership (I own 2), I read lots of folks bitching and moaning over the cost of major service.

As some of you know, I bought a 95 project car about 3 months back.

I work on my cars because it's a hobby and I enjoy it. Another reason is Buffalo NY does not have local resources.

However, I want to post this so the guys that never attempted this understand what is envolved:

REMOVING A 355 engine and putting it back in is A TON OF WORK!

The least expensive major (belt swap) is $5000. I promise you, I'm not going into business anytime soon doing this. It's a ton of work.

My point to this post is, if you want to work on your car as a hobby - that's cool stuff. I encourage it as you will learn so much.

But, if you send your car for service, 1) send it to someone with 355 experience, not a dude that works on Hondas. 2) if you think $5-7k is too much for a major, you really have no idea the work these guys do.

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” George Orwell

post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 153
Some perspective. A major on a 308 by a good shop will run at least $5000 without extras.

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
85 308 GTB QV red/tan (original owner)
95 F355 Spider SwatersBlu/tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode