F355 355 Headers - Powder Coated - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-03-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
355 Headers - Powder Coated

Anyone here have their headers powder coated?

If so I would be interested to know who did them (Jet hot, Swain, etc) and what color you decided on.

I am a considering white and would like to see some images of these on a car as well as your opinion on discoloration.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
I had my chrome fabspeed headers ceramic coated in black. did it at a local shop here in Montreal called release coatings
post #3 of 28 Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedee3d View Post
I had my chrome fabspeed headers ceramic coated in black. did it at a local shop here in Montreal called release coatings
Did you have the chrome removed? Jet Hot wants the chrome gone. Not sure if that is a biog deal.

For the record, my 4 year old chrome Fabsleed headers now look like crap. The surface rust is awful and the only reason I am coating them. My car is not a garage queen and I drive it...but I expected more from Fabspeed.

post #4 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

OK. First, I don't think the headers are chromed. I think these are polished stainless. Crappy stainless that has begun to rust....but not chrome.

Secondly I have managed to get a first hand look at Swain coating and that's out. Impossible to keep clean on a car that gets driven. Clearly the answer for heat, but not aesthetics.

Lastly, I found a coating company that coats the inside of the header with the heat absorbing material and puts a rust resistant colored coat on the outside. Turns out they did the coating on my TR8 headers I bought three years ago.

Still any pics of white headers is always worthwhile.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Garage
What stainless was used? 300 series will not rust, 400 series will
post #6 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
What stainless was used? 300 series will not rust, 400 series will
Dave, the lower series of 300 (304) will indeed rust. 316 is more resistant than 304 and 321 is more resistant than 316.

But 304 definitely rusts - (this is coming from someone who used to be in the offshore oil industry .

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #7 of 28 Old 02-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Dave, the lower series of 300 (304) will indeed rust. 316 is more resistant than 304 and 321 is more resistant than 316.

But 304 definitely rusts - (this is coming from someone who used to be in the offshore oil industry .
John,
i work in offshore oil sector, you told correct, we use only 316L because the sea condition (over the sea not underwater) is a very bad corrosion ambient !!
Hot, cold, salt fog, ..exc, are aggressive things and as minimum 316L is necessary, welds are to be careful, all the equipment to made the pieces need to be in 316 otherwise can be a contamination ....
For example the plash zone is the baddest condition for the corrosion.
Different the land ambient, and our cars ....
This my personal experience ....

Performance White Ceramic Coating by Zircotec - an ultra high performance exhaust coating for automotive and motorsport applications

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #8 of 28 Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post

I guess in my applications, the conditions where not so severe.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-06-2015, 05:17 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Like most things, there are variances in quality of 304 stainless. A good quality 304 is very resistant to rusting, where as the cheaper stuff from Asia is not. Why anyone would expect more from Fabspeed is beyond me. They make and sell the cheapest product on the market by a large margin, to expect a resulting product that exceeds being the cheapest by a large margin is silly.

I've had headers coated before, even by a small local coater and it makes a big difference in engine bay temps. I'm not a big fan of the inner coatings on street cars just because when the coating starts to fail and flake off, it can be ingested by the engine. Unlike jet engine and race cars, which are torn down for inspection routinely to avoid catastrophic failure events, street cars are completely ignored until a problem forces acknowledgement.

You can't go wrong with Jet-Hot, one of the original sources for exhaust coatings. They know how to prep the parts, how to lay the material down evenly and at the appropriate thickness and they also provide a warranty.

We've done some manifolds in a "bronze" type color and a few in a more traditional Silver. In my opinion for aesthetics, a Silver color is ideal.

post #10 of 28 Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 428
-How would the engine ingest a flake coming off the inside of the header pipes?

-Ceramic coating on piston crowns works well without flaking off. That's a MUCH harsher environment than header primary tubes.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
-How would the engine ingest a flake coming off the inside of the header pipes?

-Ceramic coating on piston crowns works well without flaking off. That's a MUCH harsher environment than header primary tubes.
Do you think that any coating from inside the headers that would flake off would burn up in the cat?
post #12 of 28 Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
-How would the engine ingest a flake coming off the inside of the header pipes? Reversion.

-Ceramic coating on piston crowns works well without flaking off. That's a MUCH harsher environment than header primary tubes.Variances in quality of application and materials.

I also don't know of many engine with ceramic coated piston tops that aren't torn down and inspected on a reasonably routine basis. Additionally, some testing has shown ceramic coating of piston tops to reduce power output as some heat absorption by the pistons aids combustion. Another reason ceramic coating everything isn't always the best course of action.

post #13 of 28 Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 379
I am like dave in that i thought all stainless regardless of type would never rust. A person never stops learning. I hope my hyperflows and capristo dont rust but i guess time will tell. What a piss off.
post #14 of 28 Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Like 550 stated

Different alloys 304L
Welding is a weak spot if not done airtight it can be a starting point for corrosion, welds need to be clean and airtight no overheating.

Chinese stainless, nope still not up to par, better then 10 years ago

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider
post #15 of 28 Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
yeah when your working on the ocean everything rusts!
post #16 of 28 Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Fabspeed headers. 4 years old and 12,000 miles.
Attached Images

post #17 of 28 Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Owner

Garage
post #18 of 28 Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Master Mechanic

At least they're not cracked and leaking and total junk. Could be a lot worse.

post #19 of 28 Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATSON View Post
Fabspeed headers. 4 years old and 12,000 miles.
From your description in post #4 http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pr...tml#post565450, it sounded much worse than these pics show. Or maybe the pics don't fairly represent the actual condition?

It looks like a lot of heat discoloration, which is to be expected, but I can't see the "....surface rust is awful" that you were referring to. How about some closeups of the rust?

IMO, these actually look pretty good for coming off a northern car that gets driven regularly.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #20 of 28 Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

They look better in the pictures.

The surface rust is pretty prevalent in small specs throughout the surface.

Clearly they are serviceable and will be fine after they are cleaned up and coated.

Why would a "northern" car matter? The thing only goes out side for the 85 hours of warm weather we have here

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode