308 GTS QV Restoration - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
308 GTS QV Restoration

I just bought a 308 GTS QV 1985 with about 38,000 miles. The outside is in excellent condition (body) but the seats and carpet and door pannels should be redone to restore to showroom. I am in Los Angeles area, any ideas of how to get the work done using original materials. I am thinking if I can get her clean enough I would love to show her. Also what up on the air conditioning and the heavy, heavy, steering? Do all 308's drive this heavy? Thanks

J Emery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
The air con on the 308 was never that great to begin with (still a huge improvement vs the 365 BB which is a fly blowing warm air across a ice cube).

On the steering, it should lighten up nicely at speed. If is does not do this then it needs to be serviced.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 205
(still a huge improvement vs the 365 BB which is a fly blowing warm air across a ice cube).

gee I can't even get mine that cold! :lol: Seriously though, I don't think its worth spending any money on the aircon as the end result will still be disappointing.

Greg

Current: 365GTC/4 #15709
Previously: 246GTS #07772, 365GT4/BB #17915

post #4 of 9 Old 09-21-2005, 04:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Re: 308 GTS QV Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemery
Also what up on the air conditioning and the heavy, heavy, steering? Do all 308's drive this heavy? Thanks
J Emery
Can't help you on the A/C, mines never worked and I really haven't worried about it. (I live in Maine). For the steering, yeah, at parking lot speeds the thing maneuvers like a dump truck. But once she's rolling it handles like a go-cart!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 9 Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Thank you guys!

I am brand new to ferrari ownership and this forum. You guys are awsome for replying so fast and being so friggin knowledgeable too! What about the restoration? The interior just looks older then the rest of the car. I would like to show the car next year at pebble beach fully restored. Where do you go to get the seats reapolstered to look like original leather only new! Same with carpet and door pannels? I am in L.A. so there has to be someone who does this. I wont show it unless I can get it in purrrrrrfect conditon, like it was in 1985. You guys are right, at speed she handles real nice. I got it up to 100 several times when I drove it home from Orange Co and it handles the same at 100 as it does at 60! Nice. Your also right about the slow power windows. What is the cure for that? One of the post said it could be easily fixed. Thanks again to all for the great info.

jemery
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 04:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Welcome here and congratulations with your car. To go offtopic: I once was sitting in the passenger seat of a 365 GT4 BB, and it was a little cold. The heating was as bad as your airco's. The heater was on, or off. When it was cold you put it on, and by the time you are on baking temperature you have to put it off.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Dr Bob,

This I find surprising, normally the cabin on any Boxer is nice and toasty due to the waterpipes running directly underneath.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
It was only a 10 minute drive so the water was still cold I think
post #9 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

That makes sense as it really takes about 20 minutes to start to get toasty.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode