F355 355 belts changed on Car Fix - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-04-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
355 belts changed on Car Fix

anybody else see car fix s3e6 on velocity? They do the belts on a 355, and not much else.

here is the nzb if you are into that kind of thing

http://www.nzbsearch.net/nzb_get.aspx?mid=LRMMR

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
I've seen it last year. No disrespect but I can't stand shows like this. They really don't educate in the least - all they do is plug the sponsors (which would be fine if the show had value)
post #3 of 17 Old 01-04-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

i was more shocked they didn't do seals why they had everything out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 17 Old 01-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
i was more shocked they didn't do seals why they had everything out.

That's pretty much the way a belt change is done on a 3x8. My 308 went 25 years before one of the seals started weeping a little and that was with an average of 1k miles per year very much front loaded. Back when I had the 15k miles service done on it the Ferrari dealer asked if I wanted seals and belts changed. A 15k on a 308 by the book was adjust the valves, change the fluids, filters and plugs. After 30 years it's still running the same water pump too. Nowhere in the 3x8 or 355 manuals is there any reference to changing seals. These things have grown to be a while we are in there things that are not necessary most of the time. Of course, the required engine drop on a 355 makes the scare factor a little greater. But I've seen more than once new seals and rebuilt water pumps start leaking when the old parts were fine. My philosophy on these cars has always been do what is necessary. If there is a problem I fix it or have it fixed. But I don't walk around thinking the cars are time bombs.

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
85 308 GTB QV red/tan (original owner)
95 F355 Spider SwatersBlu/tan

Last edited by john85QV; 01-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

post #6 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john85QV View Post
My philosophy on these cars has always been do what is necessary. If there is a problem I fix it or have it fixed. But I don't walk around thinking the cars are time bombs.
I agree, but not 100%. Probably 98%.

I do think it's a good idea to address other items if the motor is out - especially since the removal is the bulk of the work.

Will I fix what's not broken - not exactly. But if I see anything suspect, it's getting replaced.

I should be full on into this within the next 4-6 weeks. My 95 has some many suspect leaking areas and since I'm doing a tear down, it's going to get most gaskets and seals regardless.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
I agree, but not 100%. Probably 98%.

I do think it's a good idea to address other items if the motor is out - especially since the removal is the bulk of the work.

Will I fix what's not broken - not exactly. But if I see anything suspect, it's getting replaced.

I should be full on into this within the next 4-6 weeks. My 95 has some many suspect leaking areas and since I'm doing a tear down, it's going to get most gaskets and seals regardless.
I guess my point is that if you had a major 2 years ago (with or with out new seals) and notice a drop of oil on the floor once in a while, and determine it is from a cam seal, are you going to drop the engine immediately? Or are you going to monitor it and wait until the next major if it doesn't start spraying oil around? Unless the belts are getting seriously contaminated with oil it's not really doing any harm. It's not exactly a tensioner bearing the screeches for a couple of minutes every time you start the car.

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I guess my point is that if you had a major 2 years ago (with or with out new seals) and notice a drop of oil on the floor once in a while, and determine it is from a cam seal, are you going to drop the engine immediately? Or are you going to monitor it and wait until the next major if it doesn't start spraying oil around? Unless the belts are getting seriously contaminated with oil it's not really doing any harm. It's not exactly a tensioner bearing the screeches for a couple of minutes every time you start the car.

No, I would not drop the motor in that case. But, I don't think that is what folks are saying. It's about being preventative when the motor is out and perhaps a few items get replaced that may not need it.

It's similar to the risk management I spoke about prior.

Not sure about you John, but I regularly have my car at 8500 RPM. When I drive it - I DRIVE IT
post #9 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Owner

Quote:
No, I would not drop the motor in that case. But, I don't think that is what folks are saying. It's about being preventative when the motor is out and perhaps a few items get replaced that may not need it.

It's similar to the risk management I spoke about prior.

Not sure about you John, but I regularly have my car at 8500 RPM. When I drive it - I DRIVE IT

I don't usually go above 7k but that's not the issue. To me preventive maintenance is changing fluids and filters annually, checking tire pressures frequently, changing belts and tensioners every 3, 5, 7, what ever years. Things that if you ignore will result in catastrophic failures. Replacing seals, cracked headers, cats, TCUs is corrective maintenance. Some need immediate attention, others not so much.

As I said, I have seen new seals and new and rebuild water pumps leak/fail shortly after installation. I'd rather stick with what was working. How far do you take the just in case argument when you pull the engine? When not pull the trans and replace the rear main seals while the engine is out? How about the front main seal? Heck, the crank is turning twice as fast as the cams. What about the triple seals? Don't forget the cam drive bearings and seals. Mine as well pull the head and replace the head gaskets, just incase. Oh hell, mine as well take the car to the dump and buy an new one, everything needs to be replaced.

Seriously, it just goes against common sense that the only seals in the engine that need to be replaced so frequently are cam seals. It's total BS perpetuated by fear.

I know that I have a different perspective on this because starting with the purchase of my 308 back in 85 I made a conscious decision to test the Ferrari way of thinking. I said it's a car. I'm going to treat it like one. I've always completely ignored the fact that it says Ferrari on the hood. It doesn't mean a thing to me. It's a car dam it, a car!

Well, now you got me going!

post #10 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Seriously, it just goes against common sense that the only seals in the engine that need to be replaced so frequently are cam seals. It's total BS perpetuated by fear.
Or perhaps CAM seals are prone to failure and others are not?
post #11 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Quote:
I've seen it last year. No disrespect but I can't stand shows like this. They really don't educate in the least - all they do is plug the sponsors (which would be fine if the show had value)
Not to throw stones in glass houses but I will. I agree the producers have their job to do and it is not educate, we have PBS for that.

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider
post #12 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly View Post
Not to throw stones in glass houses but I will. I agree the producers have their job to do and it is not educate, we have PBS for that.

Well, Velocity channel needs to fill slots. It's a shame they can't come up with some better shows. All girls garage, Truck U, Car fix all seem to be from the same studio and the same quality of show....
post #13 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Quote:
Well, Velocity channel needs to fill slots. It's a shame they can't come up with some better shows. All girls garage, Truck U, Car fix all seem to be from the same studio and the same quality of show....
Those shows target the same folks looking for accident attorneys so they can go to make up schools or something like that LOL

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider
post #14 of 17 Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
That dude Lou on there is a clown
post #15 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 05:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 156
can someone post a link?
post #16 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
my brother just told me there is a part 2 to this show.

they bring the car back in and address the common interior issues including stickies.

apparently they even take a field trip to F1 Imports in Naples, Fl where they show the steps of how they refinish stickies on site.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 156
you guys get a little wound up... I fought muay Thai in Thailand for 5 years. Me and my friends see a show like the one on Master Toddy and how awesome he is I want to throw up a lung. Guy is a complete fraud and makes up crap to make tv entertainment..ie boxing blindfolded on bubble wrap or boxing banana trees. Same with this yes it sucks to us..but to everybody else its interesting entertainment and fun to watch. How many actual viewers would it have if it catered to the 355 group? To people that dont own one or are just fans they dont want it to be so technical....the want 30 min of cool stuff to watch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode