LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Nice modified 308

Done tastefully:

http://www.ferrariforum.com/photos/v...to.php?id=2777

What are your thoughts on the spoiler at the end?

I hope the photographer see this topic. I'd like to see a back shot of this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 PM
RCG

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Would look great on a Honda Civic.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I agree with you Andrew. The car was tastefully modified. The tires and wheels look great! I think the rear wing does distract from the smooth 308 lines (personal opinion - it does look ok but I would not have put it on where the car already has the spoiler behind the rear window. Maybe if that stock spoiler were removed??) The one thing I do love about this car is the color matched front bumper! (and I see the energy absorbers have been collapsed, very cool. He needs to collapse the ones in the rear and I would love to see how that bumper would look color matched.) I also like the tinted windows, really makes the red stand out. Especially since the GTB doesn't have the full louvers on the 1/4 windows.

The other thing that I noticed was the Pinanfarina emblem on the passenger side. What's up with that? I thought they were only on the driver's side? Is this on the GTB but not on the GTS?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
The other thing that I noticed was the Pinanfarina emblem on the passenger side. What's up with that? I thought they were only on the driver's side? Is this on the GTB but not on the GTS?
Good question. I do not know the answer to that. I also agree, the red front bumper does look good.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2005, 01:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 411
Don't like it really

There has been an issue of Forza with a 308 GT4 i think, wich had the same rims

550 Maranello style rims they called it

:roll:

Edit: an aftermarket spoiler on a non racing Ferrari?
post #6 of 15 Old 08-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Is this a real Ferrari? Looks like fiero kit to me ;-)

Doomed for life with the Ferrari virus
post #7 of 15 Old 08-14-2005, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250lm
Is this a real Ferrari? Looks like fiero kit to me ;-)
It is real. The event was an FCA event and it clearly is a 308. Even has a SN included.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I am not a big fan of modified Ferrari but this one is nicely done. Only thing I really due not care for is the rear wing. It is a bit 'Countachish'.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I got a note about this discussion and hence decided to jump in. There are several things I'd like to respond to:

Years ago I came across a 308 with the same wing at Cavallino's (not in the show itself, parked on the side) and I loved it immediately. So eventually I did the same to my car. I still love the wing, but it won't stay on there forever. At some point the car needs a repaint, that's when the wing will come off again.

I agree that the wing and the otional roof wing is a bit much. Eventually I'll replace that wing with a carbon fibre one. In general I prefer the looks of the GTB, but couldn't find one, so I had the roof painted and the louvres modified in the GTB style.

The painted front bumper looks better IMHO, however I would discourage folks from doing this: Even though I used paint with flex added it doesn't really stick that well and often needs patching. Not pretty and at some point I'll replace the bumper with a Euro one. And yes the front shocks are collapsed. I could do the same for the rear ones, but the whole rear end section will get a new look at some point anyway. I'm planning on 288 GTO style bumpers there.

There is no pininfarina sign on the right side. That bothered me so I added that sign. Not much of a purist I am...

The event was FOC, not FCA. And yes, it is a real Ferrari.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Great to hear from the owner! Welcome to the Forum. Don't be offended by anything we've said, we all love your car!

Thanks for clarifying that bit about the Pinanfarina emblem, I was worried.

BTW - You had me completely fooled. I had no idea that was a GTS. Nice Job on that! I couldn't tell that that was not a GTB.

My opinion, get rid of both spoilers.

Thanks for the tip on the color matched bumpers. I hope to see your car with the rear bumper collapsed!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #11 of 15 Old 08-17-2005, 01:38 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
I think it looks good

C-130 behind it?
post #12 of 15 Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
Great to hear from the owner! Welcome to the Forum. Don't be offended by anything we've said, we all love your car!

Thanks for clarifying that bit about the Pinanfarina emblem, I was worried.
Thanks. I understand that mods like these are not everybody's cup of tea. That's expected and I have heard a lot harder criticism in the past. I'm not doing these changes to please anybody or to stir things up, I do them because it is what I like.

Anyhow, Enzo250GTO you asked for a rear view. Instead I'll post a pic of the car that inspired me. Look at that lower end: Hommage to the 288 GTO Prototype, whoa! I wish I could find that piece for my own car. I also love the GTO wheels and the Colani mirros (which I'll eventually add to my car, but that too has to wait for the repaint as their foot print is different).

Finally I'm somewhat amused about all the comments my car gets and none are made about the location. I was thrilled beyond belief when I had the Muskegon airport with all the military planes on display "at my disposal". Talk about the chance of a lifetime to take pictures. I wish I had a lot more and cooler Ferraris to pose with the planes, but my own the BBi had to suffice that morning. Helas!
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 Old 08-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botto
I think it looks good

C-130 behind it?
Thanks. Yes, C-130. There also was a Galaxy and we put the Boxer next to it, but it gets lost next to the plane. Heck one engine is the size of the Boxer. We wanted to put one car inside the plane, but the ramp was a tad too steep for our front wings.

Since you commented on the painted front bumper: Normally my car is the only one at any give show with that feature (luckily I hear some say). Well, oddly enough this time we actually had 3 308s with their bumpers painted and the standard 308 was the odd one out. Go figure. And the other bumpers looked better than mine, so maybe the secret is to use a fibreglass bumper to paint and not the rubber one.
Attached Images

post #14 of 15 Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Welcome to Ferrari Forum, I like the photos you've posted. Like Pete you had my fooled too. I had no idea this was a GTS, well done! It will be interesting to see the work done after the 288 GTO mod. I can't decide if the 308 in Florida was done well. Here is the GTO photo I'm comparing it too:

http://www.ferrariforum.com/photos/v...to.php?id=1741

Please do post photos of your updates when you change that part of the car.

Pete,

I take it you were worried your 308 was missing a Pininfarina badge?
post #15 of 15 Old 08-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Welcome to Ferrari Forum, I like the photos you've posted. Like Pete you had my fooled too. I had no idea this was a GTS, well done! It will be interesting to see the work done after the 288 GTO mod. I can't decide if the 308 in Florida was done well. Here is the GTO photo I'm comparing it too:

http://www.ferrariforum.com/photos/v...to.php?id=1741

Please do post photos of your updates when you change that part of the car.

Pete,

I take it you were worried your 308 was missing a Pininfarina badge?
The Florida car is its own design using 288 GTO and GTO prototype and 308 elements. Kinda cool in my book.

I'll take some GTO elements as well, but not the rear wing as that requires also modyfing the fenders and that's going further than I want to. My main goal is to clean up the cluttered rear section (my wing added to that clutter I have to admit). Clean up the signs and get rid of that ugly diaper. However that'll have to wait a few more years once my car becomes eligible for AV plates and can skip EPA. Until then I'll have to keep the exhaust system stock. <sigh>

Adding a Pininfarina badge is easy. If you want accuracy for what is original/stock I'd only go by the book "V8 Ferraris" and not by what anybody tells you online or in a pic. Just my $ 0.02.

PS: The 308GTB look wasn't my "invention" either. A friend of mine came up with the painted roof and GTB style louvers on his 308 GTS. There are just too many fools like us out there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode