Leather trunk cover repair - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Leather trunk cover repair

Ok, we know the zipper is a weak point on the 308 trunk cover. I've nursed mine along and crimped down on the slider to make it grab. But, time takes it's toll and the zipper finally gave way completely. It would no longer close. I removed the whole cover and took it down to a local upholstery shop (a guy who also does boat upholstery) and asked him if he could put a new zipper in. He showed me where the original zipper was "melted" in and he could replace it but it would not look the same and it would be about a week. I told him I just wanted it to close.

2 days later he calls me and says its ready. $40 and the only people that can tell it is not original is me and a concours judge. And it is a stronger "marine grade" zipper than the original. I'm very pleased.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Re: Leather trunk cover repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
2 days later he calls me and says its ready. $40 and the only people that can tell it is not original is me and a concours judge. And it is a stronger "marine grade" zipper than the original. I'm very pleased.
I wonder if the engine heat melted the zipper. That is a great idea that it is marine grade...ie stronger. Is the zipper still black? If so I doubt anyone can notice. Can you post a close up photo of the new zipper?
post #3 of 27 Old 08-04-2005, 02:50 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Pete04222, Glad to hear you were able to get it fixed so reasonably.

Andrew: Suggest we post this in a Tech or restoration tips section. It is a great idea and a problem every 308-328 owner will face at some point.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I guess I didn't word it correctly when I talked about the zipper being melted in. It was not damaged by heat, the zipper was originally installed by "heat fusing" it to the cover in addition to the stitching.

Here's a close up of the new zipper. The teeth are much larger and "beefier" than the original. Plus it is a pleasure to just zip it closed in one smooth swoop rather than having to go back and forth and hope to try and get it to "catch".

Oh, plus I had 2 small tears in the cover (which I did getting the thing out) that he repaired no extra charge.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
post #5 of 27 Old 03-15-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Here's another good tip to move over to the workshop section.

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 27 Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Leather? (subject line) Don't you mean vinyl?

I'm lucky: PO bought a new cover (aftermarket made in Germany). I just have to install it.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #7 of 27 Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Yeah mine's plastic/vinyl too - Were they different on Euro and US models?

Archie
post #8 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I thought we already covered this issue before. It is leather made from the skin of the Nauga.

Capt. Pete
post #9 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I thought we already covered this issue before. It is leather made from the skin of the Nauga.
Yes but do the US versions use hides from the North American Nauga or the European Nauga ?
post #10 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
LOL! I think I'll go snipe hunting now!

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #11 of 27 Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Yes but do the US versions use hides from the North American Nauga or the European Nauga ?
Wasn't the European Nauga hunted to extinction? I believe that when the Nauga was introduced into America from it's native Sumatra in the late 1700's the Americans were so busy hunting the buffalo to extinction that the Nauga was able to prosper. You'd probably find that when GM was sending all the air conditioning compressors over to Ferrari they were wrapped in this Nauga hide and the crafty Italians, not to waste anything, used it for the trunk cover.

Capt. Pete
post #12 of 27 Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Wasn't the European Nauga hunted to extinction? I believe that when the Nauga was introduced into America from it's native Sumatra in the late 1700's the Americans were so busy hunting the buffalo to extinction that the Nauga was able to prosper. You'd probably find that when GM was sending all the air conditioning compressors over to Ferrari they were wrapped in this Nauga hide and the crafty Italians, not to waste anything, used it for the trunk cover.
Well, not quite, while the Italians did use the US Nauga hides, they tossed out the GM air conditioning compressors. Instead they opted for those highly effective locally sourced units fitted in Daytonas and Boxers. I believe the model is called "mouse blowing on ice cube".
post #13 of 27 Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Quote:
I guess I didn't word it correctly when I talked about the zipper being melted in. It was not damaged by heat, the zipper was originally installed by "heat fusing" it to the cover in addition to the stitching.

Here's a close up of the new zipper. The teeth are much larger and "beefier" than the original. Plus it is a pleasure to just zip it closed in one smooth swoop rather than having to go back and forth and hope to try and get it to "catch".

Oh, plus I had 2 small tears in the cover (which I did getting the thing out) that he repaired no extra charge.
Same place mine ripped when i took mine out to redo the zipper.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #14 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Gentlemen-
I too had to have my Naugahyde cover/zipper repaired. Try a boot shop or cobbler- very nice job. Also needed leather seat repaired at side stitch or pipping. Boot Guy said " too busy and not his cup of tea" went to a saddle shop and job was great- took me 10 minutes to find seam. No upholstery shop here so maybe useful to others? Bill
post #15 of 27 Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM
cgt
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 143
Very good info, can anyone advise please how to remove the cover/zipper part from the car (and how to refit it once a new zipper is on)?

Thanks
post #16 of 27 Old 04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Cgt-
It's pretty painless. As you look down at cover, you'll see a rubber weatherstrip all the way around edge. Gently lift weatherstrip off it's seam. Unless someone has re-glued should peel right off. Set weatherstrip aside and you'll find that cover's edges have been held down by the weatherstrip. As you work toward the rear of the car be careful at the two cover latch holes. Mine had 2 rivets each, that I drilled out and replaced with 2 pretty little black screws on re-installation. Replacement is reverse and equally easy. Only problem I can see is if someone had used a glue that might ruin weatherstrip or cover(hopefully not) Good luck, Bill
post #17 of 27 Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ward View Post
Cgt-
It's pretty painless. As you look down at cover, you'll see a rubber weatherstrip all the way around edge. Gently lift weatherstrip off it's seam. Unless someone has re-glued should peel right off. Set weatherstrip aside and you'll find that cover's edges have been held down by the weatherstrip. As you work toward the rear of the car be careful at the two cover latch holes. Mine had 2 rivets each, that I drilled out and replaced with 2 pretty little black screws on re-installation. Replacement is reverse and equally easy. Only problem I can see is if someone had used a glue that might ruin weatherstrip or cover(hopefully not) Good luck, Bill
Thanks Bill
post #18 of 27 Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgt View Post
Very good info, can anyone advise please how to remove the cover/zipper part from the car (and how to refit it once a new zipper is on)?

Thanks
A good Marine supply shop should be able to replace the zipper.
post #19 of 27 Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 AM
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
A good Marine supply shop should be able to replace the zipper.
I have just the people to fix it, just need to get it out of the car. I have a sneaky suspicion it may have been glued. The cover itself is in very good condition but the zipper doesn't zip properly.

If I can get it out I'll take some pictures and post them up here.
post #20 of 27 Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
cgt
Owner

Ok the cover is out, took 15 minutes.

I'm expecting a pretty quick turnaround and will then refit it using your idea Bill of replacing the rivets with screws.

What type of adhesive is recommended on the engine bay lip side?
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode