F355 Blank Radio Plate for F355 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 101
Blank Radio Plate for F355

I received my OEM blank Radio Face Plate for the F355. These shipped in every '95 car without a radio pre-installed from the factory. Owner's could then pick a radio from their local stereo shop to install themselves. Unfortunately, that means that there are no OEM radios to be found for the '95 cars if you want to be accurate about delivery from the factory. So the plate is the most accurate way to go for concours judging or simply "having all the original pieces to go with the car."

I am headed off to my interior fabricator to have them create exact copies of this piece since it is unobtainium and VERY hard to find. I had looked everywhere.

The piece will also fit '96 to '99 cars if you no longer have the original radio or don't care to have something installed that looks like it is from Star Trek...

The blank plate is also used on 355 challenge cars to hold the fan control switches and missle arming triggers...

Let me know in this thread if you might be interested in having a blank radio plate and I will see what costs are involved. I'm sure that a higher quantity ordered can lower the prices for all.

Robb
Attached Images

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-18-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Rear View.

Robb
Attached Images

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” George Orwell
post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Angled View.

Robb
Attached Images

post #4 of 5 Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Garage
Great work, Robb. This is awesome for those that want to maintain 100% as delivered specifications
post #5 of 5 Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

So I talked to my interior / reupholsterer "guy" here in Scottsdale.

It can be done - to copy this plate - but as with most things in life - it takes money.

The OEM radio blank plate for the F355 has slightly curved edges back into the dash on each side so that it floats a little bit. On Barry's challenge car shown in the photos above - it appears that his plate may be fully flat without curved edges. Those are the two ways to make the plate.

Costs:
if the plate has curved edges - the price goes way up
metal mold - around $2,000
or
Fiberglass mold - around $1,000

After this, or if the plate is flat,
then each unit will run around $175 with the nice leather and padding to match OEM and with the clips except the white wiring piece which is still available from parts suppliers.

This is a direct cost to the upholstery shop. I'm trying to help the group. There is no money in it for me.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Robb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode