328 328 AC refurb - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
328 AC refurb

Lots of thread on 308 AC refurbs, but not many for 328's. I understand there are similarities and differences, so I thought I'd start such a thread.

This year's winter project is to refurb my '87 US 328 AC system. In attempting to recharge the system this year it was discovered that the high-side fitting to the current york compressor had been cross-threaded some years ago making it impossible to completely seal the fitting (the threads on the compressor are really chewed up). So, new hoses/fittings/o-rings, compressor, dryer, and expansion valve at the very least. Ferrari of Seattle has quoted in excess of $10,000 for parts and labor: I can probably do better.

Ugh: Need to remove fuel tank to get it done, which to me is the scary part. Like to have a procedure documented for doing this before I even start.

Tips and recommendations are gladfully accepted.

- Jeff
- 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS #71403
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacElf View Post
Lots of thread on 308 AC refurbs, but not many for 328's. I understand there are similarities and differences, so I thought I'd start such a thread.

This year's winter project is to refurb my '87 US 328 AC system. In attempting to recharge the system this year it was discovered that the high-side fitting to the current york compressor had been cross-threaded some years ago making it impossible to completely seal the fitting (the threads on the compressor are really chewed up). So, new hoses/fittings/o-rings, compressor, dryer, and expansion valve at the very least. Ferrari of Seattle has quoted in excess of $10,000 for parts and labor: I can probably do better.

Ugh: Need to remove fuel tank to get it done, which to me is the scary part. Like to have a procedure documented for doing this before I even start.

Tips and recommendations are gladfully accepted.

Removing the tank is not that large a project. Typically the threads on the hose fitting are not so damaged that it requires replacement and that would be the only reason to remove the tank. That is a call you need to make however. Everything else is easy.

If the tank does require removal, carefully cut the small hoses from the small aluminum nipples on the top of the tank with a sharp razor blade. Taking them off without cutting them often results in breaking the nipple off of the tank.

Last edited by Brian; 09-08-2014 at 10:24 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately, the threads on the compressor really are chewed all to hell. Found this out when I was replacing the teflon seal at to top of the threads. Sucks big time, but it is what it is.

As for the gas tank, I'm well familiar with the little breather and return hoses at the top. Replaced all of those (carefully) the first spring I had this car 2+ years ago. Cutting them off when removing the gas tank certainly sounds like the way to go. What else needs to be removed out of the area to get the passenger tank out -- compressor and mount, clearly, but what else would make the job easier overall?

- Jeff
- 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS #71403

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode