348 Cooling System Pressure Test - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Cooling System Pressure Test

I have recently installed the heads on my 94 348 after having the heads refreshed (seals,guides,springs). After torquing per the procedure in the WSM (60nm + 90 degrees) I have a concern.

1) When pressurizing the cooling system to 15 PSI I am getting slight leakage on both heads . I am using Elring gaskets. There are many posts indicating problems with the head gasket design and once the motor heats up the leakage will stop. Is it considered acceptable to tighten the head bolts to eliminate the leakage and if this is done what are the risks to doing so ?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Brewman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Interesting question. I run into this scenario from time to time on the QV cars. If I'm sure that the:
-Liner projection is correct
-The head surface is flat (or skimmed a few thousandths)
-I properly lubed/pre-lubed the head fasteners.
-With torque to yield fasteners/procedures, the studs should be inspected and/or final torque verified.

If these conditions can be verified, then I don't worry and proceed. As I recall, in one of the WSMs, a trace amount of seepage along the outer seem is acceptable.

I too have read these posts ad nauseum. Frankly, there may be a problem somewhere, but I haven't seen it in the last 300 or so head jobs/engines I've done. I fire 'em up and they seal within seconds. And I'm a big fan of the Elring gaskets.

If you're torque wrench has the capability to read "final torque" at the 90 degree angle, was that number consistent stud to stud? If so, that's a pretty good indicator that you've got the head on tight.

Best,
David

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
I have recently installed the heads on my 94 348 after having the heads refreshed (seals,guides,springs). After torquing per the procedure in the WSM (60nm + 90 degrees) I have a concern.

1) When pressurizing the cooling system to 15 PSI I am getting slight leakage on both heads . I am using Elring gaskets. There are many posts indicating problems with the head gasket design and once the motor heats up the leakage will stop. Is it considered acceptable to tighten the head bolts to eliminate the leakage and if this is done what are the risks to doing so ?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Brewman

Hi,
David told all things correct,
on WSM reported that a little trace amount of seepage along the outer is acceptable, after bolts tightening and before engine run.
I think those little seepage are due to the different level between the top of cylinder and top of crankcase, the cylinder is over 0.01/0.04 mm.
When the engine will run and will be hot the gasket will be polymerized and the seepage will disappear ...

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'

post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Elring has moved their head gasket production for their replacement parts division to Spain and have quit using the soft material needed for a wet liner motor. In short, they no longer work.
In addition to their failure to seal I have experienced head warpage due to the excessively hard material sufficient to cause valve sealing problems. Elring has been made aware of the problem by many people and seems unconcerned.
Take the motor apart and replace them. There are a number of American producers of custom head gaskets that are able to make good head gaskets.

Last edited by Brian; 08-22-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Elring has moved their head gasket production for their replacement parts division to Spain and have quit using the soft material needed for a wet liner motor. In short, they no longer work.
In addition to their failure to seal I have experienced head warpage due to the excessively hard material sufficient to cause valve sealing problems. Elring has been made aware of the problem by many people and seems unconcerned.
Take the motor apart and replace them. There are a number of American producers of custom head gaskets that are able to make good head gaskets.
Hi Brian,

Thanks for this information.

Can you suggest a custom mfg. you have had good experience with ?

Thanks,

Brewman
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
A lot of people are using Cometic.

The first set I used was on an F40. The Elring gaskets let water run out on the floor when I filled the motor. I installed the Cometic and left it under pressure for 72 hours with zero leakage prior to reinstallation. It's still running fine. I have also installed them in a number of 355s and 360's. Both have 11:1 compression. Zero trouble. My own 328 with nearly 11:1 has them too.

Elring, another good German product gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Last edited by Brian; 08-22-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode