355 oil checks - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-24-2002, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
355 oil checks

When I bought the car a couple of months back the salesman told me to get into the habit of checking the oil every 1000 miles. Now, cos I'm in love with the car I check it once a month which is about every 400 miles.

My question is this. Whilst I know all cars are different, when should I expect to have to top it up ? Can I tell if there is something wrong if I'm topping it every 1000 miles or is this normal. I mostly do town driving in traffic.

Anyone got any advice or experience on this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2002, 01:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
As they say about Italian cars, if it aint leaking it needs more oil. Topping off every 1000 miles is not bad at all, pretty normal. As long as oil isn't leaking onto anything vital (belts, alternator, etc) it really is just a matter of how often you like to add more. The only real problem to leaking oil in non vital areas is that it makes a big mess. You're nowhere near a problematic leak though so don't worry about it. Ferrari uses nikasil liners too since the 308 QV (mondial 4v too) engine which to me seem inherently prone to leaking some oil too which would account for some burn off and a need to add more oil once in awhile. The liners never wear in, so although they are super smooth and tough, they can't seal to a ring as well as when the liner breaks in with the ring. Just my $.02
post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2002, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Thanks for the advice - you clearly know your cars. I'll stick to the 1000 mile rule and keep it regularly topped up.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2002, 08:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 454
Bret,

I love that saying, "if ain't leaking, it's empty." Great stuff. We used to say the same thing about our Blackhawk's. In Alaska, we'd come out in the morning to puddles of hydraulic fluid dripped perfectly around the forward 1/4 of the aircraft. The metal would contract due to the extreme cooling and thus, the leaks. In Hawaii and Alabama, no big deal. I wonder if the same principle applies with the cars.

Forza,

Dane
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2002, 08:43 AM
Owner

Rory,

My car does drip a little as well; "marking it's territory." Nothing serious but definitely there. I do add a little oil periodically to, you know, keep the leak going...

Forza,

Dane
post #6 of 7 Old 09-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Cool. That's like the SR71 when they talk about the expansion under heat and it leaking like a sieve on the ground. It's amazing that they design these things. lol when you say marking your territory, I know a thing or two about that. I decided when the oil leak got bad enough to spray the back windshield on my 308, presumably it hitting the belts and getting kicked up, that it was time to fix it.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2002, 03:25 PM
Owner

Bret,

Yes, I think it's both funny and ingenious at the same time. I wrote a post on here today about our Blackhawks leaking outrageous amounts of hydraulic fluid during the winter (a long one at that) in Alaska. The metal would just contract and let it all go.

LOL. Yeah, a sharp decrease in rear visibility would've raised my B.S. flag, too!

Forza,

Dane

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode