Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Pre '99 V8s: GT4, 308, 328, 348, F355 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pre-99-v8s-gt4/)
-   -   308 Mystery steering wheel ?? (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pre-99-v8s-gt4/31393-mystery-steering-wheel.html)

jasper_40 05-03-2014 04:43 AM

Mystery steering wheel ??

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Anyone seen this style of steering wheel before ? What model was it a factory fit on ? (option or standard)

It has Momo embossed on the vertical spoke and the Ferrari emblem on the spoke is screen printed on.

This was on my 1983 308 GTS QV but pretty sure it is not the original wheel

Any thoughts ?

Steve

tazandjan 05-03-2014 09:15 AM

Steve- Looks like an aftermarket Momo wheel. Had one like that on my Dino, only with silver spokes, when the original broke. The OEM wheels had the leather extensions on the bottom spoke, too.

550JM 05-03-2014 09:36 AM

Interesting...reminds me of the fact I have an old Nardi steering wheel lying around, anyone interested?

barcheta 05-03-2014 07:47 PM

That looks like a butchered up momo prototipo. From the photo it appears as if someone removed the leather and padding from the bottom spoke. Other than that it looks like a period correct momo for a qv or late injected car.

tazandjan 05-03-2014 09:34 PM

JB- Most aftermarket Momos came from the Momo factory without the leather on the bottom spoke.

barcheta 05-04-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazandjan (Post 412817)
JB- Most aftermarket Momos came from the Momo factory without the leather on the bottom spoke.

Yeah I have seen them like that Taz with the naked bottom spoke. From the pic though it looks like that one's a little mangled to me. However my aftermarket momo does have leather around the bottom spoke. It was the closest to look an feel of the OEM I stored away when I replaced it a while back.

jasper_40 05-05-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barcheta (Post 413009)
Yeah I have seen them like that Taz with the naked bottom spoke. From the pic though it looks like that one's a little mangled to me. However my aftermarket momo does have leather around the bottom spoke. It was the closest to look an feel of the OEM I stored away when I replaced it a while back.

The bottom spoke must be as delivered as the Momo logo is embossed where the leather would be on the bottom spoke. I would terefore be pretty sure that the wheel has not been modified in any way.

All the other 308's and 328's all seem to have the montecarlo style wheel as a factory fit which is why I changed out this steering wheel for an aftermarket Momo Montecarlo.

If this wheel is an aftermarket item then is is relatively worthless but it may have some value if it was factory fitted to something Ferrari.

The fact that the Ferrari Badge is screen printed kind of made me think is was a Ferrari original.

I'm still undecided?

Cheers,

Steve

jasper_40 05-06-2014 02:50 AM

Closeup

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

If it helps any ?...

Here is a close-up of the spokes which shows that there really couldn't have been a leather covering at the bottom of the spoke otherwise it would cover the Momo logo

barcheta 05-06-2014 08:23 AM

Ahhh that's better. Yeah that's a Momo Cavallino. Some guys did use those on the 246 as Taz stated. Pretty rare.. dont part with it. Dont think it was ever offered as an OEM wheel on a 308. You had the Prototipo, the Nardi and the Monte Carlo. Here's an expired listing off ebayUK. Vintage MOMO Ferrari Cavallino Steering wheel 250 308 365 GTO PORSCHE 911912 356 | eBay