308 Brembo INSTALLED :) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
308 Brembo INSTALLED :)

First, many thanks to Verell with his infinite wisdom, guidance, and help. We installed the new Brembo calipers with slotted rotors plus changed the rear pads to better suit the fronts. Brake fluid is Motul 600. Also thanks to Eric Dahl (fchat member and original designer of the Brembo system) who gave me guidance and assistance to insure a good brake balance. Verell and Eric are GREAT guys who deserve a HUGE THANKS as after driving over an hour i can feel where my hard earned sheckles went to.

Impressions: The pedal is a bit 'longer' before grip.

When cold it is good and smooth. Once the pad temps warm up the grip gets more aggressive and i need to be careful not to use TOO much pressure too fast or the fronts can get near lockup/lockup. Tires are Mich Pilot Sport PS2 mounted on Kinesis K27 rims (17x8 front and 17x9 rear).

After the usual brake cycling to bed in the pads as all four corners were new (60 to 5), went for a cooling off period then some 80 to 15 cycles.

As for losing some unsprung weight up front, the jury is not out though it does feel more nimble. DID NOT do any spirited driving as wanted to bed in the brakes and be sure of things.

The pics below show a few highlights. As for the digital readout, that is the G forces. The scale shows positive and negative G forces. Notice the braking G forces are around 1.15 and i was not doing any aggressive acceleration so it was around 0.5G.

Enjoy the pics and MANY THANKS again to Verell and Eric!!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
slotted, not bad. Those shouldn't go soft on you next year when you are racing the car. You'll have to get some video of it and post them here for us to see.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 10:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Great set up! I also noticed that the slots angle forward and don't lean back toward the back of the car! :wink: Most people install them the wrong way. Granted some disc manufacturers design them to angle back but a good many don't. And I've seen people install them going the wrong way so that they "look cool" but the problem is they don't perform as well and some cooling vanes on the inside of the disc then move in the wrong direction.

Here's a performance tip for you. Get a sheet of solid carbon fiber with decent weave and thickness. Take your new brake pads and place them with the back down on the carbon sheet. Now draw around the pad making a template of the brake pad on the carbon sheet. Now cut it out and put it between the pad and the caliper. What does this do? Well, carbon fiber is a terrible conductor of heat. It will act as a wonderful insulator between the pad and the caliper. It will reduce the heat transfer between the two allowing you to push even harder without having to worry about boiling out the fluid. The motul is excellent! But, it will degrade with time and temperature. The carbon sheet will distort a little as the resin heats up and gets a bit sticky with the heat. When it cools down it will solidify again. Don't worry about it. It works. The thicker the carbon the better the shield. But, too much and it will distort pedal feel a bit. Find what you like best.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys and Charles, wow tweaky! New pic below how it fills the 17-inch Kinesis K27 rims. Enjoy
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
slotted, not bad. Those shouldn't go soft on you next year when you are racing the car. You'll have to get some video of it and post them here for us to see.
Track videos in 2005, yes. Street driving videos scare me as they can also be a liability.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Steve,

It looks like everything is coming together very nicely. Any chance you have added your car to the Registry? Your car would be a nice addition with all the changes that have been made and it looks like a really mean 308 now.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2004, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Steve,

It looks like everything is coming together very nicely. Any chance you have added your car to the Registry? Your car would be a nice addition with all the changes that have been made and it looks like a really mean 308 now.

Wow, many thanks my friend. Will do later today or so
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2004, 10:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Have you posted full shots of the car with the new wheels and brakes yet? If so how could I have missed them?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-19-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna21
Have you posted full shots of the car with the new wheels and brakes yet? If so how could I have missed them?
Here is full car, brake stuff is seen above.
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode