348 Tire size for 360 wheels on 348 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Tire size for 360 wheels on 348

I just bought a set of OEM 360 wheels to put on my 1990 348. The tires on the wheels are over 14 years old, so I am looking to install new tires.
I searched the threads and most recommend 225/40/18 to the front and 275/35/18 to the rear. With this set up, the car will be riding 0.4" lower.
So, I am thinking to go with 215/45/18 (same as OEM 360 set up) in the front, and 285/35/18 in the rear. The ride height will be only 0.1" different when comparing to 348 17" wheels set up. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Here's what I did on mine:

Went with Continental DWS tires. Had the ride height adjusted at all 4 points, to put me in the middle of the spec range for the Series Speciale. Car was loaded up with weight as called for by Ferrari when doing these adjustments. I also had the alignment er, aligned lol. I can get the numbers for the camber, caster, and toe if you want... I have the printout somewhere. Tracks perfect.

Fully loaded the suspension with a load bar while on the lift, and there's a clean 1/2" all the way around front and rear at maximum compression. No rub on fronts either when fully loaded and at maximum turn. Have not rubbed at all with these specs, and like how it looks. Love how the car feels now! Very planted, and surprisingly easier to turn the steering wheel at slow speeds like parallel parking.

No spacers, simply bolt on with 52mm lug bolts all the way around. Double check the rear bolt length to make sure that they clear the hand brake assembly in the drum. (You can see it when the wheels are off thru the threading on the rears.)

NOTE: The original overall offset on the rears are likely different from yours, as my car is a SS. However, the wider stance of the SS was added to the WHEEL offset from Ferrari. (i.e. the wheels on the SS have 25mm more material on the inside of the wheels, putting them an inch wider on either side than earlier 348's... So providing the offset on the new 360 Modena wheels are the same as the ones noted below, they should sit the same on your car, as mine all said and done.

Hope that makes sense... I had to do tons of reading to finally decipher all the specifics when changing my wheels out... was a chore for sure.

Front clearance with the SS (has the front spoiler and corner skid plates) is 4.5"

Enjoy!
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.

Last edited by Pixel6; 03-12-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Side shot for you, so you have an idea what to expect. Be sure to get the ride height adjusted, and a new alignment!
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM

This was at full compression stop on the lift.

Rear:
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM

Rear:
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Front:
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM

And sorry for looking like I'm hijacking your thread... can't figure out how to add more than 1 photo attachment per post on my ipad...

So lastly, this is what the new bolts must not hit on the rears (rear parking brake assembly): You can see the spring thru the bottom left hole. Put your new bolts thru the tire while it's not attached to the car... measure the length of the bolt showing thru the back of the wheel. Then use that length, and a caliper to measure into the hub and make sure the bolt will clear everything inside with a few spins around.
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

My car is 1990 348tb. I end up doing 225/40-18 in the front and 285/35-18 in the rear.
Does your tires sticking out a bit from the rear (when looking from the rear of the car? You have a photo to show?
post #9 of 13 Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailben View Post
Thanks for all the info.

My car is 1990 348tb. I end up doing 225/40-18 in the front and 285/35-18 in the rear.
Does your tires sticking out a bit from the rear (when looking from the rear of the car? You have a photo to show?

The rear wheel is still inside the wheel well on the front and upper part of the tire, and slightly outside the rear on the bottom of the back of the tire because of the shape of the wheel well. Doesn't bother me in the least.
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 50
I really like the look on the 348!
post #11 of 13 Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

285/35 is too wide and stick a bit too much. I end up replacing with 275/35 like others has suggested. Wasted money on 285/35 since tire store doesn't want to take it back.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel6 View Post
Here's what I did on mine:

Went with Continental DWS tires. Had the ride height adjusted at all 4 points, to put me in the middle of the spec range for the Series Speciale. Car was loaded up with weight as called for by Ferrari when doing these adjustments. I also had the alignment er, aligned lol. I can get the numbers for the camber, caster, and toe if you want... I have the printout somewhere. Tracks perfect.

Fully loaded the suspension with a load bar while on the lift, and there's a clean 1/2" all the way around front and rear at maximum compression. No rub on fronts either when fully loaded and at maximum turn. Have not rubbed at all with these specs, and like how it looks. Love how the car feels now! Very planted, and surprisingly easier to turn the steering wheel at slow speeds like parallel parking.

No spacers, simply bolt on with 52mm lug bolts all the way around. Double check the rear bolt length to make sure that they clear the hand brake assembly in the drum. (You can see it when the wheels are off thru the threading on the rears.)

NOTE: The original overall offset on the rears are likely different from yours, as my car is a SS. However, the wider stance of the SS was added to the WHEEL offset from Ferrari. (i.e. the wheels on the SS have 25mm more material on the inside of the wheels, putting them an inch wider on either side than earlier 348's... So providing the offset on the new 360 Modena wheels are the same as the ones noted below, they should sit the same on your car, as mine all said and done.

Hope that makes sense... I had to do tons of reading to finally decipher all the specifics when changing my wheels out... was a chore for sure.

Front clearance with the SS (has the front spoiler and corner skid plates) is 4.5"

Enjoy!

Can you let me know the spec or print out of your alignment and set up? Thanks.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-11-2014, 01:19 AM

Here ya go. The before was with the new 360 wheels on, 60 mile drive to his shop, measured.

The after still has - camber and whatnot. But he knows how I drive, our roads, (nasty crowns) and set it up with both the wider stance (offset) and larger rear wheels in mind.

Telling you... I don't know what perfect race car feels like, but I'd guess you could put my car in the hands of a race car driver and they wouldn't question the alignment.

My Benz still has road steer from the crowns... But I don't feel them on the same daily driven roads in the Fcar.
Attached Images

The below line is true.
The above line is false.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode