308 308 Aircon refurbishment - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 83
308 Aircon refurbishment

Hi All,

My 308GTB is coming up for timing belts and I figure I should finally get the a/c working properly while I am at it.

I'm told the original style compressor does not take to higher pressures that modern gas demands, hence it runs great for a week after regassing then dies again.

I've found these guys on the web with a Ferrari specific kit:

Ferrari Air Conditioning A/C & Compressor Upgrade Kits

Wondering if anyone had used them and their views?

Otherwise does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement modern compressor.

The car has to run cool enough so I don't have to make excuses to my passenger...

Maybe I'm dreaming. All thoughts appreciated

Kon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Although I don't have a great solution, the root cause of the poor aC performance really is the lack of air volume from the modest (at best) interior fan, coupled with outside air leakage. Despite the mountain of "white noise" on the Web to the contrary, the OE AC compressor with R-12 doesn't work anywhere near as poorly as one might be lead to believe.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Depending on year and market area 308/328 used both the York style and the Sanyo compressors.

If yours had a Sanyo and the system is leaking just get it fixed.

If it used a York style the Italian built compressors had a poor design front seal and are just not worth fixing. A brand new unit from Asia is cheap and they do not seem to have the issue.

308 AC is never great but can be OK and there is just no reason to live with a system that does not hold pressure for a reasonable amount of time.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Both of these guys already gave correct advice. As Brian said, if you have the old York style compressor, updating it with the retroair kit which uses a modern Sanded rotary compressor helps quite a lot. The Sanden can come setup for R12 or R134 freon. If R12 isn't an issue in Australian, you may want to keep that gas as the hardware is all designed to work with that gas.

I have done a couple installs by request where we swapped out the compressor and driver filter only, flushed the system and ran R134. It works fine.

It is a good idea to swap out the lines and o-ring seals as like anything from that age of car, the7y have deteriorated and an upgrade is beneficial.

post #5 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
I updated to the system you reference (not from them) but same concept and compressor and the difference was amazing. York compressor is a dinosaur and puts greater load on engine + it was never designed to rev to Ferrari Limits. I will agree with David that interior fan sucks but kit you sourced offers a better fan; it seems they have addressed all issues to give the 308 an up to date function.

Price is extremely fair and you don't have to the design and search like I did 10 years ago. As you can see I had to customize mounts.

The hammer on top was the final persuader :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by FCBanned4Life; 03-04-2014 at 04:52 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks so much for the responses. I'll check which compressor i have and move on from there. I suspect its the York in which case i'll look at the complete kit. Otherwise maybe repair the compressor and look for a better blower unit.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Owner

If it looks like a cement block with a pulley it's a York
post #8 of 17 Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
A/C Fan

Is it possible to improve the air volume with a more powerful fan? Is there a more powerful aftermarket replacement that can be used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
Although I don't have a great solution, the root cause of the poor aC performance really is the lack of air volume from the modest (at best) interior fan, coupled with outside air leakage. Despite the mountain of "white noise" on the Web to the contrary, the OE AC compressor with R-12 doesn't work anywhere near as poorly as one might be lead to believe.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The system referenced in this thread has modern replacements for those components.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBanned4Life View Post
If it looks like a cement block with a pulley it's a York

I had a look on the weekend and that's a pretty good description...
post #11 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I asked the supplier on the original link about the need for the whole kit compared to just buying the compressor. Response below:

"When we were designing this Kit, we found the existing Evaporator, inside the car, was more than sufficient to get cold AirCon so we just upgraded everything else.
You will find that this kit has been carefully thought out and will produce the coldest Air Con available for this car"

Forgive the hyperbole. Does that sound credible?

Kon
post #12 of 17 Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Owner

YES, Its the one piece that works.
I replaced just the compressor before such a package existed and I am now thinking about doing their whole package as everything else now is just so old.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Has anyone moved the 308 front condenser to in front of the front wheel as Ferrari did for the 328?
According to the article I read in this issue of Forza moving the condenser helped improved the A/C cooling.
With the condenser moved, it also improved air flow through the radiator.
If anyone made the change did they notice an improvement in A/C cooling?

CK
post #14 of 17 Old 03-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
Has anyone moved the 308 front condenser to in front of the front wheel as Ferrari did for the 328?
According to the article I read in this issue of Forza moving the condenser helped improved the A/C cooling.
With the condenser moved, it also improved air flow through the radiator.
If anyone made the change did they notice an improvement in A/C cooling?

CK
I just changed my radiator to a custom aluminum one from Nicks Forza Ferrari.....huge difference and I live in Florida.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi

Several months later, the I'd ordered the kit mentioned in the first post, had it shipped to Australia, and just had it fitted to the car while getting the belts done. The car is a '77 Fibreglass.

To recap it includes (at least) a new compressor, new condensor (3 way instead of 1 way) and new fan unit (I think that's what it's called) along with hoses, fittings and assorted odds and ends.

One concern was buying a kit for a RHD car from the US however any concerns were unfounded. The only issue in fitting was that a hose was too long and had to be shortened slightly and the end fitting re-crimped.

It is now the start of Spring here, and I've had a couple of runs in the car of 45 minutes or so.

Given we are not in summer yet, this remains to be further validated, but driving around now is a completely different kettle of fish.

The first hint was when the installer sent me a text saying the aircon was freezing, with icons of snowflakes on the text message.

On the run home after picking the car up, I had to keep turning the AC off, as I was just getting too cold in the car - this was late winter here, but I was keen to try it out.

The supplier website is full of very enthusiastic testimonials, however I think it is fair to say they accurately reflect the outcome. Obviously I'll be keen to try this out as the weather warms into summer here.

Hopefully one more reason for my better half to avoid the car has been eliminated!

Kon
post #16 of 17 Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
I got tired of refreshing my A/C on my black GTB so I did have that conversion installed and it really works! Fit is perfect and 2 years so far, no problems, it's great for warm days, temps over 30C just seem to heat up the cockpit what with the windshield exposing almost half the interior to direct sun, being a black B makes it almost impossible to keep really cool. BUT I have to say I am totally happy with the new system, by Retro Air.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-14-2017, 04:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Garage
built my own

I built a kit for mine back on 9008 using a Sanden sd5h14 compressor and I am about to replace it with an sd5h09 that i found that is even smaller.

It is a proverbial pain in the A$$ to get the belts on it and to tension them^#^%@[email protected]##

To get a snug fitting belt on you have to remove the crank pulley, as the waterpump pulley is larger and on the outside edge, install the belt and reinstall the crank pulley. And even then the little tensioner offers very little adjustment when belt stretches out.

I am currently searching for a small secondary idler pulley to make an additional tensioner for the setup.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode