308 308 QV supercharger - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
308 QV supercharger

I was pointed to this link:
ferrari supercharger for 308

Its a supercharger I build some years back for my QV and sold when I built a bigger one. It maybe just over 300rwhp so about 360-370 crank hp on my car.

I think I sold it for about $4500 so he's a little high at $6500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
$6500 with no injection system? He doesn't even go into detail about the origins of the system, so according to that add it "could be anything". Not much of a sales pitch.

post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 03:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Was curious what your 308 system looked like - doing it the upside down way must've helped the air distribution a lot.

TRD did it that way with their supercharger system for the 2UZ Tundra engine, and IIRC, someone else took it a step further and put a Laminova based intercooler system into that top plenum, which helped the air distribution even more, plus cooled it down better.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
$6500 with no injection system? He doesn't even go into detail about the origins of the system, so according to that add it "could be anything". Not much of a sales pitch.
I don't see all the parts in the pics either so that would be a question. When I priced everything out way back I figured a full bolt-on kit (with ECU) would need to retail around $8500 but decided the volume would just be to low to make it worht the bother.

$6500 for the mechanical stuff used seems quite high since I know I could build a new one brand new and sell it for less than that. I'd think a fair price would be more int eh $3500-$4500 range.

The blower itself is an eaton MP90. There should be 3, 5, 7, 9, psi blower pulleys and a drive pulley, the pulley in the pic is the 9 (pushing 10) psi one.

Then there should be modified cooling rails and water pump back housing....I think....I'm getting old , I can't remember if I did that on this setup, I think I did, but it was 13-14 years ago. I had to do at least the back housing to move the T'stat out of the way of the blower drive.

The injectors are 30lb/hr high impedance.

It made 301 rwhp on my car before tuning ended with a failed injector and it was still a bit lean so I'd guess the final number would be around 310-315rwhp.

I made it for a QV but it should also fit 328 or even 348 with minor changes. As I said the blower is an MP90 but that could be swapped for an MP112 pretty easily and I'm pretty sure upgrading it to one of the newer screw type blowers wouldn't be difficult.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Was curious what your 308 system looked like - doing it the upside down way must've helped the air distribution a lot.

TRD did it that way with their supercharger system for the 2UZ Tundra engine, and IIRC, someone else took it a step further and put a Laminova based intercooler system into that top plenum, which helped the air distribution even more, plus cooled it down better.
That was my gen 1 system

Gen2 had a water/air intercooler in the plenum and lysholm ax2300 screw type compressor - 23/24p[si and 600+ HP
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I'll post the pics here so when the listing is gone the pics won't be
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Were there any alignment issues or belt throwing? I always wondered how rigid those upside down configurations were.

The configuration I've been playing with for years is a 2.2 Opcon sitting on a single plenum manifold that feeds all 8 ports in a 4.0 V8. Air distribution is pretty bad until the manifold pressures up, so we have to take fuel out of the injector trims at the 4 corners when running at idle or atmospheric, then add it back in under boost, or they get too lean.

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
I still remember the first time I met Mark... Wide World of Cars tech day in Sept or Oct 2000. The funny thing is that I vaguely remember him, but I remember his car like it was yesterday. I still distinctly remember him firing it up and seeing condensation shoot 15-20 feet out of the exhaust (on startup!). Whoa!

He was running the setup above and it was the first time I had heard a 308 with blower whine. I spent most of that day drooling over an F50 and staring into the engine bay of Mark's car trying to understand how deep his lunacy ran.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Were there any alignment issues or belt throwing? I always wondered how rigid those upside down configurations were.

The configuration I've been playing with for years is a 2.2 Opcon sitting on a single plenum manifold that feeds all 8 ports in a 4.0 V8. Air distribution is pretty bad until the manifold pressures up, so we have to take fuel out of the injector trims at the 4 corners when running at idle or atmospheric, then add it back in under boost, or they get too lean.
The small setup was a....8 rib and never had any problem. The big setup was 12 rib and had big problems. The issue wasn't the manifold I don't thing, but the long snout on the front of the blower flexing. I added a front support and moved the tensioner idler right up tight to the blower pulley and all was well after that.

I didn't have any major distribution issues with the small setup, but the big setup is was a problem at high boost though. It seemed to be that the air flows end to end in the blower and shoots out toward the snout end instead of up. I relocated the blower discharge to the far end of the manifold (by making the snout LONG) and that pretty much solved it.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I'd noticed what a long snout that setup had and wondered if that or the manifold flexing might have caused some problems.

Interesting that you had distribution issues even with an intercooler in there to diffuse the air.

My latest setup is an HTD drive for everything (S/C, P/S, Alt, A/C), but I have no idea how well it's going to work. I understand alternators, because of their high inertial loads do not like to be driven from cogged belts and tend to either shear teeth off the belt, or throw windings. The drive does look pretty cool tho'

post #11 of 12 Old 11-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
bump,,wonder how many revs gen1 and gen 2 topped at? Enzo would dig this 400hp set up,,Factory 308 option instead of 288 special series,,,way more profit.

Last edited by reggazz312t; 11-04-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: define special series
post #12 of 12 Old 09-26-2019, 05:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Supercharge for 308

Hello, sorry I am new to the Forum, and writing from the UK.

I know this thread is very old but does anyone know where I can get a (not too expensive) supercharger for my Euro LHD 308 GTSi - I love the car but am really struggling with the acceleration so wanted a quick fix!

Anyone want to sell a second hand one? )

Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode