F355 355 - Interior Upgrades - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
355 - Interior Upgrades

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

It was a great week in the Snowball garage as I worked with "Bella". She has been in the family for just under three months so I thought I would begin making a few small changes to the interior, with attention to:

1. Upgrade Head Unit: Alpine CDE-HD149BT;
2. Upgrade Speakers: Focal165VRS;
3. Wire a BT Speaker for Phone: Probably not a great idea due to noise, but did it anyway;
4. Radar: Purchased a Passport 9500ix and connected it to existing hard wire in car (running connection up trim to exit at rear view mirror); and
5. Sticky Parts: As the install required removal of many parts to the dash, I went ahead and connected with Robbie to refinish the side vents (middle already done), the door handles, the window controls and trim for both doors and the steering surround.

Replacing the head unit was rather simple, did take the opportunity to cleanup the wiring as the original install was a bit messy. What was interesting were the speaker placement for the tweeters. Space is at such a premium here, I went ahead and removed the stock mounts and trimmed them out with a pair of nippers and a dremmel so the Focal tweeters would fit right in - looks great and eliminated the struggle of where to put those damn little things. The trimming was easy and a quick spray of black paint to the mounts made it look as if they were manufactured that way from the start! Ended up not going the route of adding a sub, as I did not want to give up space on the passenger kick panel and deal with placement of a larger amp. I did throw in a small Alpine amp that connects to the harness and runs off the existing power to the head unit. Noticable sound improvement with this setup with a minimum of work so I am pleased with the results.

This afternoon, I will return to the job for finishing touches to re-install the parts that Robbie finished for me, woo hoo, no more sticky!

Now on to the SEL issue that I encountered just before I tackled the project above, I will post a quick overview shortly.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ssnowball; 02-12-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

355 - additional interior shot

I will take an additional shot of the finished product with the Focal tweeters installed tonight when I return to reinstall the side vents.
Attached Images

post #3 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Tweeter mounted in 355

Worked really well but getting out the mount is a challenge as it is held in place with two rivets. Nipped the top one off and levered the bottom one off with a small screwdriver. Drilled out the top one and set it with a screw, fit the bracket over the lower after widening out the hole in the bracket a bit and affixing it with some double sided molding tape.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Photo attached

See photo
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode