LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
New Here - My 348 SS

Hi, I'm new here. First post.

Here's my '93 348 TS Series Speciale #58:100

Diamond in the rough when I got it.

Double Down:
Have done a bunch of mods, restoration, and upgrades over the last 6 months. Most noticeably is the carbon fiber front spoiler (replaced my curb-rashed stock red one) added Ricambi front bumper sliders to protect it. Also installed what I believe is one of the best looking rear wings on a 348... It's a mono piece carbon fiber spoiler fixed at 69.

Shoes:
Picked up some OEM 360 Modena wheels and went with Continental DWS tires. Love these tires on my Benz. Did a full ride hight adjustment back to updated factory spec. Following that was a new alignment correcting toe and camber. Tires are Rear: 275/40 18 + Front: 215/45 18. (Used 52mm bolts all around.) Bump stop loaded the shocks, and there's a clean half inch gap with no rubbing front (including compressed full turn) or back (clears arch and wheel well) incase anyone's wondering. Tires took me weeks to research and get right. Finally the SpeedoDRD kit to correct speedo due to slightly larger tires.

6'3 sloucher:
Auto Dim 1080p DVR mirror with continuous record, and integrated back-up camera is in route now. Stock mirror sits too low for me and I have a huge blind spot out of the front half of the windshield, so figured I'd upgrade it.

Berlinetta?
After a week of begging, convinced the local Benz shop to sand & fill the leather grain targa top and color match it for me. (I hate the word awesome, but yea... awesome) It's actually a TS, not a TB!

Eye Candy:
Let's see. Refinished all of the leather interior. Only 1:2 SS models with the Red/black interior combo. Did a bunch of aluminum accents to freshen up the drab all black interior including machining a custom billet aluminum brake lever. Stainless steel door runners. The slick shift gate with the (few know this is even an option for their 348) rubber bellows/boot is fantastic. Pedals, dials, and even soda blasted the door levers and roof latches. Interior tastefully shines now.

Dreaded Codes:
Replaced various engine components including O2s, Temp sensors, speed pulse sensor. After lots of reading, decided to do the SRI Gold Mod Kit. Took me a total of 26 hours over 3 days to do the kit myself. (thanks Sonardrum!) Was pretty easy to do thanks to the included tools and sonars Youtube vids. Diagnosed the last of my codes to a suspected bad ECU. One new ECU and 10 minutes later, the last of the CEL issues I've had since day one finally gave up their ghosts. No codes at all now.

To Do:
Had to pull the AC belt... The pump needs rebuilding or replacement as there's metal on metal squeak. I have a small coolant leak. Hose? Can't get to it. But have a Major Engine-Out scheduled with Dave Helms at Scuderia Rampante. (Dave is a great guy, and I'm excited to have his shop so close to my home... He's like a mad scientist when it comes to the 348, and is very knowledgable and passionate about this car. You should see his! But should have it up to 100% in a month or so.

Anyhow, first post and I'm babbling... Here's a picture
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Hello Pixel & welcome aboard, how about filling out your profile a bit more?

Very nice looking car and it's obviously a labor of love. Why don't you post some shots of the interior too?

Personal opinion only, but I'd lose the wing. Adding wings to cars that didn't come with them from the OEM is a dodgy proposition at best. With due respect to yourself and the obvious hard work you've done, I believe it's out of place on this class of car.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Hello Pixel & welcome aboard, how about filling out your profile a bit more?

Very nice looking car and it's obviously a labor of love. Why don't you post some shots of the interior too?

Personal opinion only, but I'd lose the wing. Adding wings to cars that didn't come with them from the OEM is a dodgy proposition at best. With due respect to yourself and the obvious hard work you've done, I believe it's out of place on this class of car.
Below is a shot after I had most of the interior done, but before I had the seats and leather reconditioned. I appreciate your thoughts on my changes. Like all cars, seeing it in person gives a better perspective on how it actually looks.

Now, I know the wing is about as sensitive of a topic as wheel spacers... So here's my thoughts.

To sum up this car for me... Like most "busted my ass for it" Ferrari owners, it's a childhood dream realized. But what was cool when I fell in love with it in the late 80s, is not the same cool now. The only other Ferrari I really like the design of is the 288 GTO... And think the wing on the F40 looks out of place. To others it's what makes the car. Opinions are synonymous with subjective.

Modding with both taste and purpose. Most everything I've done to upgrade the car can be reversed... But I have a vision for what I want to enjoy. I'm amazed at its original design, but I'm also not a purest. I think tasteful changes, including the spoiler add to its uniqueness while bringing it into the twentieth century.

Functionally, with the new wider stance, the correct forward ride inclination, and the advantage of the front spoiler, handling wise this spoiler doesn't dramatically change the tracking of the car. I simply don't drive it that hard. And on a few lightly spirited runs I've done, I can feel that the car handles better i.e. more stable & planted than on my stock wheels. That car felt a bit squirrelly.

Pininfarina did an incredible job at designing the 348. Few cars from the late 80s look like they belong on today's roads. I'm hard pressed to think of one sports car from yester year that fits today's style. Lambo? Detomaso? Lotus? Aston? NSX? Porsche? Vector? EB 110? Mercedes? BMW? Jaguar? All the cars from that era do fit on the road today... But as classics.

If I had a Pantera, I'd be all about keeping it original. But for some reason, even with its side strakes, the 348 fits today's sports car design. Almost like it's transcended time, and the sports cars of today are taking cues off of it.

I'm simply giving mine a nudge towards ideas that weren't realized by designers 20 some odd years ago. I'm sure I'm biased, but even the 512 and 355 seem a bit too era specific to fit smoothly with today's style.

The wildness of the 348 in its time that made it over the top, is similar to the wildness that designers are moving towards now. Simply a bit bold.

The wing design tying into the front spoiler (as designed by Ferrari) to me is that subtle yet bold splash of character that has the tourist wondering if it's a 2014 Ferrari.

Everyone else knows that it's a Testarossa of course.

I guess my point is this. Everyone is swapping wheels, and buying the same exhausts, and grabbing every aftermarket part they can buy from Ricambi, because everyone in their own way has a vision of what they want their car to be.

My vision has a sleek spoiler. And I think if one compared my 348 to a stock 348 with a long ass antenna, narrow wheels, and a leather roof that always makes if look like a convertible, the one with the spoiler fits this era.

Of course that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong
Attached Images

post #4 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

One more shot for ya... (Can't figure out how to add more than one photo from my phone.) Wow, you believe I wrote both those posts from my phone? lol anyhow.

Notice how you don't notice the spoiler... Subtle.

Width wise, it stays flush with the body lines of the engine bay and steps up 1.5" to the wing and is only 4" tall total. The mounts are on the same line as the engine bays 2 longitudinal support rails. I was able to install the mounting hardware between a small gap in the fire wall. With the hood up there's nothing to say it was aftermarket. It's a very clean install.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pixel6; 02-11-2014 at 04:22 AM.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Pixel, welcome to FL. Sounds like you are having fun doing your thing !

As you may know, majority of F owners are much more inclined to leave things as they came.

Seems like you are enjoying what you are doing and that is good.

If you ever see what many of the Lambos, Porsches, MBs and F cars owners over here in Japan do to their cars, you would be humbled.

Enjoy your thing and glad you are sharing things here.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #6 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Red rocks
Attached Images

post #7 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Pixel, welcome to FL. Sounds like you are having fun doing your thing !

As you may know, majority of F owners are much more inclined to leave things as they came.

Seems like you are enjoying what you are doing and that is good.

If you ever see what many of the Lambos, Porsches, MBs and F cars owners over here in Japan do to their cars, you would be humbled.

Enjoy your thing and glad you are sharing things here.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Lol, yea... I've seen
Attached Images

post #8 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 05:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post

Jimmy
Majority of F owners don't drive their cars
post #9 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 AM
Owner

Love what you have done!

Make it yours, live the dream, enjoy and drive the hell out of it!

ps. I like the wing
post #10 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Welcome!

Enjoy it!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Very cool. Welcome and thanks for sharing!
post #12 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 06:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Congrats and welcome to Ferrari Life. If you need any help. Please feel free to call or email me.
Thanks
Alex.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Nice car. For such a low production number we have seen our share of the SS in this area. I think there are at least 4. nice car and a friend that had one locally modified his too. I wouldn't modify mine. But it's not mine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #14 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Donovan- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Very nice 348 SS. Enjoy driving her.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Really I had intended on getting a Ferrari when I was 19 and just driving it on the weekends... but took me about half a lifetime to catch up with those childhood dreams.

So it's not that I want to drive the hell out of the car... I'm obligated! I (literally) have a thousand weekends to catch up on!

By comparison, here was the starting line...
Attached Images

Last edited by Pixel6; 02-11-2014 at 11:45 AM.
post #16 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel6 View Post

So it's not that I want to drive the hell out of the car... I'm obligated!

Yes your are

ps: I would tint the glass
post #17 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 57
Discovering a diamond in the rough is a neat experience. A Ferrari 348 inherently is a special car, you're willingness to polish her up with tasteful upgrades adds to the experience.

Nice car Pixel
post #18 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBanned4Life View Post
Yes your are

ps: I would tint the glass
I saw a photo once (can't seem to find it) where someone used a pretty dark tint and it really hurt the look. Scared me from even bothering since then.

It would have to be pretty light tint to look right I think. Anyone have photos of a nice tint job on their 348? Suggestions on what opacity would be good?

The below line is true.
The above line is false.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Owner

Legal tint would look great, I will be doing my 348 soon but it is spider.
Dark tint sucks and is not legal.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
The moderate mods you have done can swiftly be brought back to stock whenever you want to so enjoy. It's your life and your car. A structural change is different because you might become a puritan and then you will kick yourself for having done irreversible work on your fine 348.

I have a 308 with flare mods. I like it but I also know that I can return it to stock with just one visit to the shop. I suspect that in five years I will return it to stock out of respect but right now I'm enjoying it with Stratos wheels and group four flares!

We change our views on our Ferraris with time of ownership. As an example, I wouldn't dream of changing anything on my Dino. It is an unrestored, intact and beautiful soul not to be fiddled with.

In your case, I would seriously lose the rear spoiler but I like the red roof slab. But it is your Ferrari so YOU are RIGHT in what you desire to mod.

By your posts it is obvious that you are passionate about your 348, good on you!

Do try to push it hard. It is a bastard at the limit but that can be tamed by mechanical mods. Try and do the taming mods and you will have an even more rewarding car to drive hard. I've driven the 348 a lot and I have zero tolerance on cars playing up and f4cking with me. The 348 is dodgy at the limit and needs immediate discipline when it gets nasty on you. If you' don't give it a couple of corrective slaps immediately it will take you off-roading in a heart beat. But that makes it a fun car. I guess in that respect there's some sort of resemblance to the F40 but I may be wrong since I've never driven one myself.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode